Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife just received a 6.5X55 MM in a Ruger M77 Mark II from my Dad for her birthday present. Now I know that this is the Swedish Mauser.

The question comes when we went to get a set of dies out of his cupboard. He has a set of RCBS dies for his old Husqavarna carbine mauser, 6.5X55 Swede mauser. He also has a set of Hornaday dies, now the Hornady dies are printed with 6.5 X 55 SCAN and call for a #19 shell holder. The RCBS dies call for a #2 shell holder.

Are there any difference between these dies?
Does Hornady use different shell holder designations?
Also does the SCAN mean Scandinavian?

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance on the replies just in case my computer crashes before I can post a reply. After all these things are never that certain.:cool:

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Will:
The 6.5x55 SKAN isn't quite the same as the 6.5x55 Swede. Check out this link.
http://talk.shooters.com/room_61/190.cfm#1093

As for shellholder, both RCBS and Hornady use a #2 for the .30-30 family, but Hornady doesn't for the Swede. My guess is that the Hornady #2 doesn't have the top countersunk for rimless cases. RCBS and Hornady shellholder numbers don't match up in most cases. The .30-06 uses RCBS #3 and Hornady #1, for example.

There's also the problem of SAAMI specs differing from Swede specs. Seems that the Americans are using brass with the .30-06 case head size (.470") instead of the original Swede size (.480"). Some reloading manuals say .476", but the Norma, Lapua and Mil-specs in my small cartridge collection go .477-.478". I won't want to guess the chamber size of your wife's Ruger, given Ruger's tendency to invent their own specs.

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,

I think I will hit the bench with my mic, a couple of new pieces of brass, a couple of fired pieces of brass, and a couple of reloading books and get this hashed out.

Thanks again this will help,
Will

1 - 4 of 4 Posts