Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously think about getting a cooper classic chambered in 6.5x284 for hunting in the western states mostly California. Because I live and hunt mostly in the condor zone I need to use copper bullets. My question is do copper bullets have similar accuracy and effectiveness as lead in the 6.5x284? Are there any specific steps to take when loading copper bullets, for instance in the 25-06 copper needs to be loaded well off the lands in order to group well. I have some buddies who get good results with the 264 Win mag but hadn't heard anything about the 6.5.

Thank you

·
Inactive for over a decade
6,248 Posts
You'll just have to test them. In my .280, it liked the Nosler E-Tip at 3.20" OAL, about .1" off the lands. With Nosler and Hornady now making all copper bullets to compete with Barnes, there are a lot of choices out there. Good luck with your search.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,225 Posts
Every firearm being a law unto itself, it will depend if your particular one likes them or not. Only way to find out is to shoot some and see.

There are a half dozen or so different types of solid copper or brass bullets available on the market today. I know Barnes recommends their's be seated about .050" off the lands to allow a little freebore "jump" before engaging the rifling. This is to allow chamber pressures to be more moderate, as it takes more effort to engrave the lands on solid bullets than that for cup/core bullets. What the other manufacturers recommend, I don't know.

The newer solid bullets appear to have as good accuracy as the lead core ones. The newest Barnes I've tried (TSX) are far superior to the older types. The accuracy is pretty good, but still not as good as the cup/core with polymer tips (Hornady SST) that I normally shoot.

·
Inactive account
831 Posts
I have tried both the Hornady GMX and Nosler E-Tips and found them to be very accurate.I have not taken any game with te E-Tip yet but plan to use them when I go to South Dakota in Nov.The Hornady 150 Gr GMX works very well in my 30-06.It seems to open up a bit more than the Barnes Bullets I have used the last 9 years.I say try them all and see what works.The Barnes TSX has been the most accurate bullets I have tried in my .264 WM.The 150 gr E-Tip shoots the same as the 150 gr Nosler BT's I have shot in my .300 RSAUM,which is to say extremely well.I believe the Nosler and Hornady bullets are constructed from the same material they use in lead core bullet jackets and they recommend using the same loading data.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.