Shooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems to me the 260 Rem is almost as fast as the 6.5x284 , is less wearing on barrels and much easier to find ammo for.

Am I missing something on the 6.5x284 and why is is meant to be the best long range ammo out there?

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,225 Posts
A couple hundred fps difference between the two, and usually about 4 more grains of powder to achieve that. Wouldn't call the 6.5/284 a barrel burner necessarily with the newer developed powders, but the 260 Rem (aka: 6.5 Swede) is a nice behaving cartridge that will do nicely for 99% of the game hunted here.

·
Registered
610 Posts
The .260 has a bit less capacity than the 6.5-284. The 260, has about 54gr H20 and the 284 version has 67gr H20. Which in most cases will be about 4-5 grs powder. The 6.5X55 is similar to the .260 with nearly identical capacity. You can push the 6.5X55 and the .260 close to 284 levels, but you get higher pressures, and it is not done as easily as with the 284 version. If you load the .260 hot, it will keep pace with wearing out a barrel just as fast as the 284. Most guys don't run the .260's as hot so in general they last a little longer but still nowhere close to a .308 win. life.

I'm building a 6.5-280 improved which will beat both of them out, and I'm looking forward to shooting it. It's going to be my long range hunting rig.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Seems to me the 260 Rem is almost as fast as the 6.5x284 , is less wearing on barrels and much easier to find ammo for.

Am I missing something on the 6.5x284 and why is is meant to be the best long range ammo out there?
The 6.5x284 Norma is a proven LR match rifle and if the 260 was as accurate at LR match shooters would of been using it same with any other 6.5 caliber like the 6.5x47. SAAMI on the 6.5x284 Norma OAL 3.310".

Good LR match heavy rifle weight more than 17lbs. Lt rifle cann't weight more than 17lbs includes glass for IBS and your talking thousands of dollar for one.

I think in the hunting rifles always be a debate on which is best and thats with any calibers. When I had a 6.5x284 build as a LR antelope/varmit rifle that's what I had build and it was throated for the longer VLD bullets. I'd part that rifle out last year was a fun project.

Don't get me wrong I never own or shot a 260 and I'm sure it's a good caliber and if your looking at the loading data maybe there no difference. I never build anything based on trying to best another caliber too many things overlap. Well good luck

·
Premium Member
2,777 Posts
I've got both the 260 and the 6.5x284, as well as the 6.5x55. My 260 is based on a 700 short action with a 24" barrel and 4.5-14x scope. It is very accurate and easy to hunt with. The 6.5x284 is heavier and has a longer barrel, so it has only shot paper. I will probably sell the 6.5/284. The other two 6.5's are just easier to deal with in a hunting situation and have plenty of power for what I do with them.
There is not that much difference between the two calibers, unless you are shooting long range targets, I'd stay with the 260. BUt that's my only frame of reference.
Good Luck

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
i think that tvp summed it up pretty good... the 6.5x284 might offer more but the main question is do ya need more than the 260 or swede will give ya? i'm glad that the 6.5x284 has gained the popularity that it has, it's been good for the 6.5 bullet lineup. just the same i don't see one in my future as i already have 2 swedes and a 260.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
The velocity matters at LONG ranges, but consistant velocities is what matters most. I would bet that the short fatter case of the 6.5x284 allows for a better burn from shot to shot and that along with the higher velocity allow it to keep ahaed of the smaller 6.5 calibers in the matches.

In the hunting world it would be much less evident, but when a .1-.5" could mean the difference between winning and losing at 1000yds, every little bit of speed and accuracy helps.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts

I own neither of the chamberings you mention, but I do own both a 6.5x55 (ballistic twin to the .260) and a 6.5RM (ballistic twin to the 6.5/.284). I'd suppose a fair analogy between the two might be this: "isn't a .308 almost as fast as a .300WSM (except for a few hundred FPS) and wouldn't it be less wearing on the barrel?"

The .260 is very similar in application to the 6.5/.284 except when the shooter is looking towards long range shooting being a concern. The MPBR of a typical hunting load in the .260 is about 270 yds VS the 6.5/.284 at about 290 yds using 140gr bullets. In many cases that difference is of little to zero concern. :D

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
I own neither of the chamberings you mention, but I do own both a 6.5x55 (ballistic twin to the .260) and a 6.5RM (ballistic twin to the 6.5/.284). I'd suppose a fair analogy between the two might be this: "isn't a .308 almost as fast as a .300WSM (except for a few hundred FPS) and wouldn't it be less wearing on the barrel?"

The .260 is very similar in application to the 6.5/.284 except when the shooter is looking towards long range shooting being a concern. The MPBR of a typical hunting load in the .260 is about 270 yds VS the 6.5/.284 at about 290 yds using 140gr bullets. In many cases that difference is of little to zero concern. :D
Every once in a while, I read a post on here that makes perfect sense and should put the matter to bed. It rarely works out that way, but Tnhunter just made one of those posts.

·
Registered
70 Posts
260 vs

I owned a 260 Ruger that shot well but being a Ruger I sold it. I had built a 6.5X284 for long range comp but didn't like it. Tore it apart and had the chamber cut off and made a 6.5 -06 out of it similar to the Rem Sendaro and absolutely love it from my deck. Shoots the 129 Hornadys at about .3" for three shot group. It's a Spencer Barrel w/ muzzle break

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I guess my question was based on the factory ammo specs I saw and I presume handloading does make a difference between these two cartridges. From what I have read elsewhere in the mean time it would appear to me the 6.5-06 is a better all round caliber except for people like me who don't reload. Beleive it or not there are us shooters who don't so our choices are based on what the factories provide for us. Please keep this in mind when answering.

Thanks

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,372 Posts
Well if you don't reload then clearly the one you can get ammo for is probably a better choice ;)

Serious long range target competitors are all going to reload, except for events that require a standard ammunition.

For the hunting fields I think that it would be pretty well picking nits to say that one of the 6.5s is really going to stand out from the rest.

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
I guess my question was based on the factory ammo specs I saw and I presume handloading does make a difference between these two cartridges. From waht I have read elsewhere in the mean time it would appear to me the 6.5-06 is a better all round caliber except for people like me who don't relaod. Beleive it or not there are us shooters who don't so our choices are based on what the factories provide for us. Please keep this in mind when answering.

Thanks
We'll keep in mind not every shooter reloads, if you'll keep in mind that the sponsor of this board sells cast bullets for reloading. ;)

·
Inactive member
1,648 Posts
I don't have a 6.5 x 55 but did a lot of research on it before I built my granddaughter her 260. From what I understand about the Swede, 99% of the data is on the very mild side because of the rifles much of it will go in. However, with a modern rifle, and good brass, it will can readily be loaded a lot hotter than most published loads.

I built her the 260 and have given considerations for rechambering her's to 6.5 x284. What few rounds I had a chance to shoot mine, I liked it a lot. I kinda look at it like this, I can down load the 6.5 x 284 to match her 260, but no what under the sun am I going to be able to up load her 260 to a 6.5x 284 if you decide you want to do some serious long range shooting in the wind. Just because the can make some smoking hot velocities that eat's barrels every thousand rounds or so, doesn't mean you have to.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.