Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. First post on this forum...Since I've already found dies and reamers someone must be loading for this already. Does anyone know where I can get load data for this and a performance report. I plan to put this together with a 26" Lilja barrel for 160 gr bullets. Anyone have any velocity/ pressure/ accuracy reports. Thanks all....................

·
Banned
548 Posts
Sealyon -

I just have a couple of notes from a run I did on my computer for this round. If you are looking for 3100 fps, 27.2 inches is the optimum bbl length. You will need something like a 1 in 8 inch twist rate. Scaling off of the 270 WSM and correcting for the reduced bore diameter, you should get 2988 fps in a 24 inch bbl. The 3.2 inches of extra bbl might add 96 fps for 3084 fps, very close to your goal of 3100 fps. If you round your bbl length up to 28 inches, you get 3108 fps for the 160 grain bullet at the SAAMI max pressure.

My model estimates max velocity based on case capacity without inputting a specific powder. This is far better than QUICKLOAD and other retail models which attempt to deal with specific powders because the truth is that you can't model this well without some data from firing the actual firearm.

Any powder that works well in the 264 Win Mag is a good candidate for your wildcat, but you will need LESS of it. Take a look at AA8700 or H870 in some 264 data and see what you think.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
loader

I thank you "greatly" for the imput.This is a lot more info than I had. Going to be a little while before I'm ready to make noise with it but I'll keep everyone posted when I do. Thanks again.............

·
Banned
548 Posts
Sealyon -

My pleasure. Another promising powder is Mag Pro...it was developed for the WSM case and is a dense, slow ball powder like AA8700 and H870. From the data I have seen, it seems to take less Mag Pro to duplicate these two powders, and it still may be slow enough to stay within SAAMI pressure limits with a nearly full case. I plan to try some in my 270 WSM...I'll let you know how it works.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts