Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, with the types of thin skinned game in this country as well as certain rfile competitions.. I am looking for any info on 6.5x39 wildcat data..case dimensions, what worked, hat tried..
Can you help out

Railpost

·
Registered
106 Posts
http://www.competitionshooting.com/pages/708565/index.htm
This site details the conversion of an AR auto to 6.5 PPC, basically an improved 6.5x39. They get very respectable velocities from from a 26" barrel for such a small case. I considered this for a mini mauser actioned custom, but have mostly settled on a 260 Rem Ackley Improved short-reamed to 1.75" case length. I'm hoping for around 3100fps/100gr. from a 23" barrel. Sounds like we're looking for similar rounds. What rifle are you planning on? A Sako A1 or CZ 527 would be perfect for your cartridge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply,

Due to shortage of variety in cartride cases in this country, am pretty well stuck with the x39 or playing with the 22/250 shortened, blown and necked to 6.5.. For 3000fps with 100gn projectile..
Used for local competion shooting to 200 metres.. + night shooting over spotlight (legal in this country)
Rifle: looking at CZ or possible Rem 788 (some still around over here)..

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,406 Posts
The short Savage cases (ie .250 Savage, .22-250, .300 Savage) were the basis for a number of silhouette cartridges. These were known as "International" or "IHMSA" cartridges I believe. Was a 7mm I think but not sure if there was a 6.5mm version.

The .22-250 as a parent case would have more case capacity than a 7.62x39, even shortened.

·
Banned
396 Posts
NEW 6.5 x 39mm (.26 Grendel) Brass & Ammo!

Shoot! said:
http://www.competitionshooting.com/pages/708565/index.htm
This site details the conversion of an AR auto to 6.5 PPC, basically an improved 6.5x39. They get very respectable velocities from from a 26" barrel for such a small case. I considered this for a mini mauser actioned custom, but have mostly settled on a 260 Rem Ackley Improved short-reamed to 1.75" case length. I'm hoping for around 3100fps/100gr. from a 23" barrel. Sounds like we're looking for similar rounds. What rifle are you planning on? A Sako A1 or CZ 527 would be perfect for your cartridge.

SHOOT! This might interest you a lot! Alexander Arms has contracted Lapua to manufacture 6.5PPC (.26 Grendel) brass and loaded ammo! NO case forming for this brass any longer. The ammo and brass are supposed to be available immedately after the 2004 SHOT Show!! Stay tuned - if the new 6.8mm x 43mmSPC isn't adopted by the military, they might go for the 6.5PPC instead. ;)

GOOD LUCK!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts