Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw a die set for this round offered by RCBS. It has a 40 degree shoulder. Does anyone know how much this increases case capacity? The 40 degree Ackley version of the 257 Improved gives about a 10% increase with 120 gr bullets.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Is it a .455 or a .465 shoulder diameter?

The .465 is called a 6.5x55 BJAI.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scout -

I just noticed that the 6.5-284 Norma chamber dimensions exceed those of the 6.5X55, indicating that this would be a better way to go. The long CZ action, 5 round magazine and bolt face work fine. Just a question of whether the feed ramp would need any work. Pretty hard to pass up a round that has factory ammo and dominates the 1000 yard competition!

·
Registered
90 Posts
You got to love those little sticky tabs you can mark pages in your Cartridges of the world book.... I have that page marked, made it easier to compare my notes for you...

6.5x55 BJA
54grs of H414 cooks a 120gr. at 3326 from a 27 in barrel.
6.5x284 Norma
59.4grs of RI 25 burns a 120gr. at 3217 from a Norma 26in. barrel.

Yes, the 6.5-284 Norma is a cool set up.. Will need rail work, feed ramp work, etc.

The BJA has not needed any mods, other than some extractor polishing.

I tend to look at things allot, and compare them to the dollar..
I have load data on the 6.5x55 BJA that puts it in the equal or a close second on velocity. SO close, you would not see a deer fall any different..

No feed rail work, cost per shot WAY cheaper on the sweedy, I can use factory stuff in a pinch.

AND Besides, if I get tired of the 6.5x55 BJA, I can use your 284 reamer....

Reactions: shreck

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scout -

I like the way you think, and I am convinced, except for one thing...I can't find the dimensions of the case you are talking about. Could you provide base to shoulder and shoulder diameter specs?

Another advantage to the 6.5X55 case is that it is very, very strong in the web...they weigh only 1-2 grs less than the '06 case.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I can't find the dimensions of the case you are talking about. Could you provide base to shoulder and shoulder diameter specs
Base to shoulder is 1.6260
Shoulder Diameter 0.4650
Here is a link to one of my most used pages..

http://www.clymertool.com/cgi-bin/reamer.cgi

I have Bob Jourdan's load data... It is very interesting..

Let me know if your interested in more info...

Later...

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Scout -

Thanks so much. The Clymer site is a gold mine. I think my freebore is a bit longer, but I would rather live with that than set the barrel back. My CZ magazine is '06 length, so there is room to play with seating depth.

·
Registered
90 Posts

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Scout -

Thanks again...2 additional cool sites. The tool rental is a real $saver. Most of my favorite hunting 6.5s come from Nosler as both the Ballistic Tips and the Partitions are long for their weight and use up a fair amount of throat. The 100 gr Partition was a stroke of genius for deer, easily clocking 3300 fps in front of W760 with fine accuracy, even with the long throat.

The Sierra 160 gr SMP @ 2600 fps penetrates Elk end to end, and is adequate as a defensive round for things that might eat you. Their 85 gr HP at 3540 fps duplicates the 25-06 varmint loads in this weight...very good company.

The Improved versions of the Swede do all of this even better.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hey loader, the load data I have states 3540fps with a 100gr. projectile.... Using 50gr. IMR 4895 MAX Load....

I also see he tossed a 85gr. at 3747fps with 57gr. of H414. MAX LOAD

Just think, I was going to build a 25-06, and loose out on this great BJ.

How was the performance on deer with the NOSLER 6.5MM .264 DIA 100GR SPITZER PARTITION?

Thanks...

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Scout -

The 260 Rem is very popular around here and the 100 partition is the handloader's choice for VA whitetails. The SD of .205, coupled with the partition make it penetrate as well as typical 120 to 129 gr 6.5s and they shoot as flat as a 130 gr 270. Most are doing right around 3300 fps MV, and feel like a 243 deer load.

I am somewhat tempted to make the ackley chamber from a 26 inch 260 Rem Encore bbl so I can shoot both rounds. I think the ackley needs the extra 2.4 inches of bbl, and I already have a 243 Encore. The 26 inch rig will still only be 40.5 inches long, and the 243/6.5 ackley combo makes a lot of sense for traveling. Its also a snap for the gunsmith and saves $ for the chambering job.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Source for Mauser 6.5x55

I have been looking on <a href="http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-2522267-5377677?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gunbroker.com%2Fauction%2FPreRegister.asp">GunBroker.com</a>to try find an action to build a nice varmint gun from but not very lucky lately at finding the military surplus.
Should I just try to get a rem action and build a 260rem or would it be cheaper or better to try get one of the military mauser actions? Is there much difference in the 2 cartridges to push me to one action over the other? I like the control feed actions and extractors and think that the old mil surplus actions may be strong enough to make a nice custom gun. What's another good source for mauser actions?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,324 Posts
In this day and age you aren't going to save a cent converting military guns to sporters. If you want a project, fine.... go for it.

Century Arms, Sarco, Samco, SOG, those are a few places to start looking.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,993 Posts
The 6x5x55 and the .260 Rem are virtual twins. Lots of commercial rifles available today in the .260 Rem. Ruger still chambers a 6.5x55.

As Mike says, building a custom rifle from a military action is a rather expensive proposition.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi James:- Why don't you check out the Arisaka site on Gunbroker. The Arisaka proved to be the strongest of all actions in P.O. Ackley's blow up tests. You frequently see them offered converted to .257 and improved as well as .260 Rem. They seem to be very reasonable in price and the preferred type 38 even has a commercial type hinged floor plate. What's not to like?--Cariboo

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
i enjoy my 6.5x55ai, i haven't really pushed it too hard yet. for a hunting load i've been using the 130gr tsx @ about 2950 fps. it is a very accurate load and brass life is quite good. i think that there is more velocity available, i don't know that i need to go any faster but i might work up to near max and see what she'll do. fred zeglin has a link on the 4d page that shows a 13.7% velocity increase with 140gr bullets (2900fps). i haven't tried any of the heavies yet, frankly the 125-130 grain bullets will do anything a person could want from a 6.5; i figure that the 130gr tsx will work on anything from antelope to elk.

·
Registered
5 Posts
6.5x55 BJAI; Resurrecting the discussion

Gentlemen:

I am especially interested in Bob Jourdan's load data for 120, 123, 125 and 129/130 gr. bullets for the 6.5x55 BJAI. And I'd be interested in data with any newer powders, as well.

Many years ago, Bob Jourdan rebarreled a rifle for me in 6.5x55 BJAI. Barrel is Hart, 24 inch, 10 in twist, short throat and has a VAIS brake. Not sure of the contour number, but I'd call it a heavy sporter/light varmint.

I'm embarrassed to say that I never did much with it, beyond break in and fire forming some brass, which I've since lost/misplaced. I've also lost/misplaced the load data Bob sent me.

I got the rifle out from the back of the safe recently with the idea of selling it... but the old dream rekindled, and now I want to see what it will do.

If any of y'all could kindly indulge me, I'd be mighty grateful.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

The young lady pictured is holding my wife's rifle which she borrowed for her hunt. It is a 6.5x308 ( aka .260 Rem today ) made way before Rem brought the 260 out. The young lady took this bull in 2011 using this 6.5x308. The bullet which I hand loaded was the Barnes original 120gr "X"bullet. Action is a Ruger Mk ll , Barrel a Douglas stainless 22," 1/8 twist. This little rifle as some refer to has taken many elk & all with one shot. I have always get complete penetration. With a cal & bullet like this you enjoy mild recoil yet capable to easily take large heavy game

I have found the Barnes "X" & TSX bullets to way out penetrate the Nosler Partition.
It amazes me how many shooters are completely unaware of the capabilities of the 6.5 cal.
If you want superb penetration on even large deer the 6.5 Barnes 100gr TTSX. will do the job with ease & total penetration.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

You got to love those little sticky tabs you can mark pages in your Cartridges of the world book.... I have that page marked, made it easier to compare my notes for you...

6.5x55 BJA
54grs of H414 cooks a 120gr. at 3326 from a 27 in barrel.
6.5x284 Norma
59.4grs of RI 25 burns a 120gr. at 3217 from a Norma 26in. barrel.

Yes, the 6.5-284 Norma is a cool set up.. Will need rail work, feed ramp work, etc.

The BJA has not needed any mods, other than some extractor polishing.

I tend to look at things allot, and compare them to the dollar..
I have load data on the 6.5x55 BJA that puts it in the equal or a close second on velocity. SO close, you would not see a deer fall any different..

No feed rail work, cost per shot WAY cheaper on the sweedy, I can use factory stuff in a pinch.

AND Besides, if I get tired of the 6.5x55 BJA, I can use your 284 reamer....
As an avid fan of the 6.5 bore what exactly is the 6.5x55 BJA. Is it a version of a blown out 6.5x55.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts