Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone come across a 6.5X55 Improved cartridge or chambering? This is an exceptionally strong case, with more body taper than the '06.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Sir,

I expect to improve this case the body taper could be blown out, but in my head then you would have a 6.5-06. I am thinking it has a small following, although I think it would just be a frog hair's difference between it and a 270.

Of the 6.5 x 55, I am of the opinion that it is very underloaded, just like the majority of the military cartridges, because of liability considerations. I have a modern u.s. made rifle in 6.5 swede, and I am positive it is capable of "improved" level performance with some careful plusing up and graduateddevelopment. To be honest I don't have much interest in such a thing, as that rifle is heck for accuratte, and real easy on the shoulder.

This is a dandy little cartridge how it is, but I expect a fellow could get a 6.5-06 custom built, or find himself a 264 WIn mag if he were in the notion, and be pretty happy with such a thing.

Hope that it works out for you,

Steve

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve -

Thanks for your input. You are right, the little Swede is perfect, just the way it is, especially if you handload it. It's midway between the 260 REm and the 6.5-06 in power and length.

I just see a lot of interest in the 284 X 6.5 since Norma came out with it, and noticed that it duplicates the 6.5-06 in power but fits a short action. Made me wonder how well the 6.5X55 might compare in a short action is improved. The Winchester short actions and magazines handle 3.1 inch rounds, which covers the Swede.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts