Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to Michigan's late doe private land season and the generosity of a friend (via the use of his land) I was able to shoot my third doe this year using my Winchester Model 70 in 6.5x55. Yesterday was really special as my eight year old daughter was with me.

Anyway, I've now shot enough with this caliber (I think yesterday makes 9) to comfortably say that it must rank among the great, modest recoil whitetail cartridges. Don't get me wrong...there are many that are no doubt equally as great but man...the 6.5x55 seems to drop them dead in their tracks without taking another step more than any cartridge I've hunted with.

Just wanted to share my enthusiasm for this great .26 caliber organic meat harvesting machine!

Brent

·
Registered
486 Posts
Amazing how those "old" calibers just keep killing, isn't it? The Swede is on my short list of guns I want too, along with an 7x57.

Congrats. Not enough deer over here to have a late doe rifle season.
Dan

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Dan:

Where I grew up hunting (4th generation to do so) in the northern L.P. there are no deer. It is shocking. I really can't articulate to the degree to which the herd has vanished up there.

Sick of not eating venison this year I asked friends who own local land if I could join in late in the season. I had some "yes" answers and finally we're in the venison again.

So, in short, I understand what you're saying.

Brent

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I've been a big 6.5x55 fan for many years. I bought my first one back in the early 90s when you could get a model 38 in excellent condition for only $125. That gun started a nearly 20 yr old love affair with the 6.5 caliber. I also have a Remington Classic in 6.5x55, and a Ruger 77 MKII in 6.5x55. I wish I had bought a Winchester when they were out, but you never think a Gun like the model 70 would disappear. The 6.5x55 is the reason I bought a model 7 with an 18.5" barrel in 260 Remington. I got 6.5x55 power in a 7 pound carbine.

It would be nice to see Marlin put the 6.5x55 in the XL-7 and the 260 in the XS-7. Then I'd be buying 2 more guns.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
My dad hunted family land in north western LP this fall and saw a total of 4 deer, in almost 2 weeks of bow and gun hunting. Here in Indiana, I counted 28, including 6 bucks, during one afternoon! There is really no excuse, for MI having such poor deer numbers. They need to implement a one-buck rule (for all seasons, combined) and then take a long look at how they're managing their doe numbers.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is incredible what has happened in Michigan. Where I've been hunting in central Michigan, near agriculture, the deer numbers are high (but not at their peak). There are still way too many does per bucks in this area (the doe I shot yesterday was running with about 40). But most of the rest of the state is in a free fall. I know this isn't the area to discuss it but it would seem we're all seeing the same thing. I sure hope things change...I miss being able to regularly see a few nice deer on all our great state land.

The Remington Classic in 6.5! I had a shot at NIB one for a great price a few years ago but had to pass. As for the Model 70, perhaps Winchester will offer it again in the Featherweight. A friend bought one of the new ones and cannot say enough positive about it.

Brent

·
Registered
486 Posts
My dad hunted family land in north western LP this fall and saw a total of 4 deer, in almost 2 weeks of bow and gun hunting. Here in Indiana, I counted 28, including 6 bucks, during one afternoon! There is really no excuse, for MI having such poor deer numbers. They need to implement a one-buck rule (for all seasons, combined) and then take a long look at how they're managing their doe numbers.
Don't agree with the one buck restriction, but I do agree 100% with getting our doe quotas back under control. Do you know when we had more deer in Michigan than any other time in recorded history? During the late 80's when we had 4 UNRESTRICTED buck tags. This is because they actually protected does then. Sorry to get this thread off topic. We can move this discussion to the right forum.

As for the 6.5x55, I would really like one in a full-stocked, Mannlicher styled gun. BUT, I too would buy one in a Marlin if they chambered it ;)
Dan

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Amazing how those "old" calibers just keep killing, isn't it? The Swede is on my short list of guns I want too, along with an 7x57.

Congrats. Not enough deer over here to have a late doe rifle season.
Dan
I made my longest shot on a Deer, some 400 yards, with the 7 X 57 m/m in a Winchester M-70 rifle.:)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Davers, you have brought up yet another rifle I had to pass on. I stopped at a little gunshop in SW Michigan once and they had a 7x57 Model 70 on the rack. I didn't even know it had been offered. I stood there and pondered that one for a long time and finally got back in my car. What a great rifle/caliber combination.

·
Banned
604 Posts
I personally would LOVE to have a 6.5x55 AND a .250 Savage. Rheumatoid Arthritis has pretty much done me in though. I had to get rid of my .375 H&H and gave my Son my M70 7mm Rem Mag. That leaves me with my old '03 Springfield .30-06 and a pretty '66 Centennial Model 94 in .30-30. So, given the wherewithal and the opportunity I'd love to have BOTH the 6.5 and the .250. I'd like mine to be a Model 70 too ... both of them ... and both with the mannlicher style stock. Top 'em off with a low power variable and go have fun.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dan I suspect there is some truth to what you're saying. Each county has it's own set of problems. Up north, in Montmorency County, the liberal doe tags of the '90s have obliterated the deer. No question.

Then, take my friend's land, where all the neighbors only shoot bucks, and things are so out of whack that does run around in groups larger than flocks of song birds. I'd never seen anything like it (having always hunted state land) until experiencing it myself this year. Who knows...we all have an opinion on the solution but at least we agree that there is a problem.

Brent

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sinbad Model 70's with low power variables in modest cartridges are my absolute favorite too. On one I use a Leupold VX-III in 1.5-5 and am convinced this is one of the greatest woodland hunting scopes on the planet. I have a 2-7 on my 6.5x55. It's a useful combination too.

Sorry you had to get rid of those nice rifles. I'm sure their new owners are happy.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,917 Posts
Have a half dozen or so Swedes in various configurations and love them all. Present winter time project is restocking my 10 year old grandson's Swede with a new Richards Microfit stock. Like me, he thinks the 6.5x55 is a terrific deer cartridge. Took his first deer with it a couple years ago.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I agree, the 25s and 26s are great deer guns, all around. They offer low recoil and lighter guns.

We have a 1 buck limit and 9 doe tags, and our buck:doe ratios are 1:40 in some areas & 1:30 in many areas.

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
Quote: As for the 6.5x55, I would really like one in a full-stocked, Mannlicher styled gun. BUT, I too would buy one in a Marlin if they chambered it
Dan End Quote

I happen to have a CZ 550 FS in 6.5x55 and it is a very sweet rifle. I can promise if you ever decide to get one, you'll be happy with it (especially if you also splurge on Warne rings for it!)

·
Registered
930 Posts
Congrats on your deer. 6.5 is the "magic bullet" for deer. Just shot a nice buck with my 260 this morning; pics in "Birthday Buck" post in the Game Pole/Hunting Stories forum.

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
i love my swede and if i came across a nice used winchester fwt. or a ruger 77 i'd snag it in a heartbeat!! i see that ruger is offering the hawkeye in the 6.5 creedmore, which if i recall correctly is the 260 remington with the shoulder pushed back a bit. the load recipe is right on the ammo box, 4350 powder... can't get any simpler than that.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I love the 6.5 Creedmoor, I have a MKII Target in it with a 28" barrel. I haven't had much of a chance to test it out because of the cold weather here, and my general lack of interest in freezing.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I still see no need to buy a creedmore when the 260 will do anything the creedmore will do and not require different cases. Once again it's an answer to a question that wasn't asked. I've read reports and reviews of the creedmore, and it's nothing more than a slick sales pitch without the fact to back it up.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
How about a longer neck so you can seat bullets without crowding powder space? The longer neck also allows better alignment with longer bullets.

The question was asked, this was the answer. Its purely a target round, the 260 is a great hunting round, the 6.5 Creedmoor is a great target round.

If you already have a .260, then I agree, there is no need for the Creedmoor unless you are interested in the potential of something new and fun. However, I don't have a .260 or any other 6.5 calibers, and the Creedmoor is a lot of fun and easy to reload.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts