Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
A buddy and I both own old military rifles in this caliber. I haven't shot any deer with mine yet as just got front sight tall enough to get it on paper. We have to do the same with my buddies rifle as it shoots 18" high with commerical ammunition. Does take getting use to the cock on closing feature.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,137 Posts
Naw - I hate'um!

Have a half dozen in one configuration or another and don't know why any of you folk would own one.

You can send me all those you're shucking - I'll even pay the shipping!

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
Kdub, I don't know if this is 6.5 spam or if you set one punch up for this one.
Btw, One punch, Ken made me go buy a swede also-:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
One of the finest cartridges ever developed, and one of the finest mass-produced military rifles ever built.

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
Yep, I lucked into a Model 70 Winchester new in that caliber, and also a Tikka. Both are evry good rifles and accurate.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Naw - I hate'um!

Have a half dozen in one configuration or another and don't know why any of you folk would own one.

kdub, No fair! They should be passed around to all the OLD Duffers first.:p

·
Registered
657 Posts
Naw - I hate'um!

Agree 100%, biggest POS ever foisted on a gullible public. I've only got 4, guess I could take another couple off your hands.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I'm in the process of making my first ever centerfire a Swedish Mauser. I also plan on taking my first ever deer with it this season. i'd better like it. :p

I've never heard anything bad about it, so figure it's a good choice. The one I'm buying is from 1915 (I wanted one that was >100 yrs old, but what can you do?) Stock is in great condition (I don't remember if it was refinished or not) and numbers matching (except for the bayonet). I'm looking forward to it. :)

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
My model 38 is as accurate as any other deer rifle I own, and the 6.5x55 is about the perfect deer cartridge. IMO, the 6.5x55 and it's ballistic twin the 260 can handle any game up to moose and bears with little fuss if the correct ammo is chosen.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I just got a .260 this past year and used it for the first time hunting. I put my .270s and .30-06 in the closet at the end of the season. I went 5 for 5 with it. It's a pleasure to shoot and puts meat in the freezer.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
I just got a .260 this past year and used it for the first time hunting. I put my .270s and .30-06 in the closet at the end of the season. I went 5 for 5 with it. It's a pleasure to shoot and puts meat in the freezer.
Sounds like me. I used to use alot of different calibers for hunting critters, but since I bought a Model 7 in 260 remington back in the early 90s, the other guns don't get to see much sunlight.;) The 260 has never let me down, and I've never lost a deer with it, and I doubt the Swede would be any different.:D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You guys ever see one of those swedes that was sporterized by Kimber? If you have please give me your thoughts.

·
Registered
212 Posts
You guys ever see one of those swedes that was sporterized by Kimber? If you have please give me your thoughts.
I got one for my son when they were first out. I glass bedded the Ram Line stock that came with it. I also put a Buhler safety and a Timney trigger on it.
Even without these mods it shot great right from the box. He still has it.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts

A guy I know had one. It would cluster 140gr Trophy bonded bullets in one ragged hole. The local shop has it and another for sale and they only want about $275 for them.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Ive got an M38 in a synthetic stock Im hanging on to for one of the kids. Great rifle and a great cartridge. It is one I knew I needed to have and I havent regretted it since I bought it. Easy to shoot and very mild recoil so a great rifle for smaller people or the recoil shy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I love the 6.5x55!:D I've owned one for almost thirty years, and many other calibers have come and gone, but this remains my favourite deer rifle chambering. My best ever shot on game was with my first M96, almost as long ago, with Norma 140 factory ammo and the factory iron sights. It was as long a shot (sitting with a sling) as I had any business taking (and yes I had spent a lot of time on the range), and it was the most instantaneous drop I have ever seen. I know my 284 could have done the same,but no better. What more could you want? The 6.5 is more pleasant to shot than the 284, and I personally believe the 6.5 can do anything a .270 or 7mm non-magnum will do if you load it right.
If I ever decided to cut back to one chambering (and I can currently choose between more than;) a dozen), this would be it!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts