Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So being in LE I'm always on the lookout for a good tactical rifle and cartridge. Earlier I came across the 6.8 mm REM SPC. Most of the reviews I've read look promising. But, I figured I would get some first hand (or second hand) opinions on the cartridge. Has anyone shot this round from an AR platform? If so, what did you think of the round vs, lets say the standard 5.56 mm? Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have no experience with it in an AR, but I LOVE the cartridge in the bolt gun I have. It has been plenty effective on the deer I have used it on. More and more bullets keep coming out tailored to the cartridge as well which is exciting for both 6.8 and .270 Win shooters (I have both). I think you would have a hard time finding anything not to like about it except perhaps ammo availability if you don't handload.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Personally, for possible hunting use (and long range shooting), I like the idea of the newer 6.5mm cartridges more. The 6.5 Grendel, for example, can handle up to 140gr bullets (.287 SD) where the 6.8 SPC seems to top out around 115gr (.214 SD) and the 6.5s in those weights have much higher BC for better long range performance. I don't have an AR, they don't really do much for me, but the cartridges they fire are interesting. I have looked into the AR some, though... some guys at work have them.

And as evandailey said... anything other than .223/5.56 on an AR-15 is basically 'custom' so be prepared to reload and it'll be more expensive all the way around.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I've got one but have shot it very little. So far I've got no complaints. I'd like to try it on deer. It has been very difficult to get bullets and casings so far. Ammunition is way more expensive than .223 at this point. Hopefully this will not be true for long.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have an AR in 6.8. It is an excellent cartridge to provide additional power over the 223, without stepping all the way up to a 308.

Ammo is pretty easy to find if you shop online. Not a lot of my local shops carry it, but there is a company called SSA that makes custom quality 6.8 ammo for prices that compare to decent hunting loads in 223 or 308. No you won't find super cheap ammo, but that is because it isn't available as surplus. But I will tell you that the ammo that my department issues me for 223 is about $40.00 a box/20. You can easily find ammo for less than that. Remington, Hornady and S&B also all make ammo.

For the AR, the 6.8 requires a specific barrel, bolt and magazine, which are different. All other parts are interchangeable with any other AR. You can buy the them as complete rifles, complete uppers or buy the barrel and parts and build it yourself. The function identical to any other AR, though a magazine that is the same size as a 223 30rd will hold about 25-26 of the thicker 6.8s. For tons of info check out www.68forums.com you have to join to read the forums, but there is a lot of info and several industry reps that contribute.

From an LE perspective it might depend on your admin. I have brought up the 6.8 where I work, but the potential for overpenetration has kept it from being received very warmly. It will certainly give you more stopping power and penentration that a 223, which can be a bad thing to some people looking at the potential of lawsuits. SSA offers loadings from 85gr to 110gr and they even offer an armor piercing loading for Mil/LE. www.ssaarmory.com

Also I would suggest learning about the different barrel twist/chambers. Most of the industry is moving from the SPC chamber and 1x10 twist to SPCII chamber and 1x11 or 1x12 twist, which lowers pressure and allows for more performance from the round. As far as the 6.8 vs 6.5 argument, there are many people that defend one side or the other, I agree that the 6.5 has loadings with better BCs and would be better for long distance shooting. The 6.8 has more ammo loadings available for it, that I am aware of, and functions well out of short barrels. It would be more than adequate out to 300 yards or so, which is a long ways in the LE world, especially if you work for a municipality.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses. Given the overpenetration problems i have gone to HP rds in my .223 that i carry now. I would probably do the same for 6.8mm as I have found some HP rounds on several different websites. I do plan on reloading so that I can get more bang for my buck so to speak, but it doesnt look like dillon offers and dies for that round. Which would have me buying a single stage press (since i learned on a rock chucker it will be no problem.).

·
Registered
543 Posts
SSA loads a 90gr Speer HP round that is supposed to be pretty accurate and would probably penetrate less than a lot of the other loads. You can buy dies from Forster, Hornady, Lee, Lyman, RCBS and Redding from Midway. I don't use dillon equiment, but I would think you could use other dies on their presses. I know people use Dillon dies on other presses. You can get the Speer 90gr HPs in 650 piece bulk packs to make them a little more affordable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool. Colo, thnx for the help. Im going to end up talking with a friend that has used Dillon for a while and see what other dies can be used with the RL550. If im not mistaken the problem will come in with the powder funnel, since dillon used the through die powder dies. (again, if im not mistaken.)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yes, you may use any standard dies on the Dillon Press. I actually prefer to load my rifle ammo on my RCBS Rockchucker, which is a single stage press. But then, I rarely load more than 40 rifle rounds in a sitting and I don't shoot competitive rifle.

I find the 6.8 tempting. One could make a short and sweet bolt action rig around this cartridge. I wonder if the 6.8 would fit in the old sako Vixon action? Recoil and noise would be light and the rig would make an ideal whitetail rifle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts