Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marshall,

I know you're busy and i genuinely appreciate your previous response to the 629 question. Last question.  Do you, or anyone, know what real differences there are between the regular 629 Classic and the Classic DX?  I have received different stories. I know about the wood grips and the extra sight blades with the DX, but are they (DX) held to tighter tolerances providing greater accuracy potential?  

Thanks again,

PJB

·
Registered
194 Posts
PJB,

The Classic DX is supposed to be a hand picked gun, giving the tightest tolerances and greatest accuracy.  Most of the Classics I've handled in the past few years have been excellent. The last year or so has shown some excellent quality in the Smith line of revolvers. By the way those wooden grips that come with the DX are horrible to shoot with.

I doubt I'd pick the more expensive DX over the standard classic. I don't think I can shoot well enough to gain any advantage by using a DX. Spend that extra money on reloading supplies and give that new Smith a workout. Practice is the best advantage you can buy.

(Edited by MT Callahan at 12:23 pm on Mar. 1, 2001)

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
I'll second that motion!

Except for some sight inserts you will probably never use, and a set of fancy wood grips that you will replace, you won't see two-cents worth of performance difference between the two guns.   They will both need to be firelapped to get best cast performance anyhow, and the tolerances of new production 629's are outstandingly consistent.

Find a good buy, then spend the rest of your bucks on loading components like MT said!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks MT and Marshall.   I will look for a good price on a 61/2 or 8 3/8 (still like the long bbl).  

PJB & Patrick J Bridges are the same guy.  I was two different places and forgot the name I used and my password.   A real computer whiz.

Thanks again,

PJB

1 - 4 of 4 Posts