Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I renewed my NRA membership and they had a deal to get a 3 DVD set for FREE, that contains all the Gun Digest books from the first one in 1944 to 2009, and a link to download the 2010 issue.

These are all in PDF format, I have looked at the 1944 issue and it looks pretty good, the only complaint I have is some of the scans do not get all of the right or left edge.
On some pages either the right or left edge is missing just enough to make it annoying to read as one or two letters are missing from words.

Anyone else see this deal and get it?

Michael Grace

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
My wife and I are Endowment members so we did not see the offer. If we had I would have jumped on it, even with the problems.
I assume you can word and title search.

I have a rather complete collection of Gun Digests but this would have been a good deal.

·
Super Moderator
13,431 Posts
If he has off-center scans, he probably can't. It's likely to be photo images of the text rather than actual text that can be searched. You'd have to run the pages through some kind of optical character recognition software to revise the reproduction to get to that point.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Oh well, it is still worth having. If you have the disk set get one of the later Gun Digest Treasuries as they have an index by author and subject. This will allow you to identify the issue with articles of interest.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,663 Posts
Dang that would be neat. I am going to have to check that out!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If he has off-center scans, he probably can't. It's likely to be photo images of the text rather than actual text that can be searched. You'd have to run the pages through some kind of optical character recognition software to revise the reproduction to get to that point.
I have not had the time to check them all, but it seems like about 1/2 of them are the scanned photo type and can not be searched, mostly the older ones are the photos, the newest ones are searchable.

Michael Grace

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
I noticed the offer and renewed my membership. Biggest question I have is "are they DVD disks or a downloadable file format"? Guess that will be answered sometime down the road.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I noticed the offer and renewed my membership. Biggest question I have is "are they DVD disks or a downloadable file format"? Guess that will be answered sometime down the road.
They come as 3 DVD's, except the 2010 book is a link to download a 60MB file, that was fun to download on a crappy dialup connection.

Michael Grace

·
Registered
354 Posts
Did this come in the mail ? I didn't find anything on their website. I would renew early for this dvd set.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
DVD set arrived this past Friday in the post. Haven't had chance to open and run the disks but look forward to doing some research on my Hornet collection. Not bad turn around time -- March 19, 2010 to April 9,2010 -- roughly three weeks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts