Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am wondering if any of you has some loads you might be willing to share. I am normally a Krag guy, but I recently
picked up a 1928 Danish Krag single shot action that has been re-barreled to 6mm 30-30 AI. So, now I need to reload for it.
I was thinking of hunting deer with it, as I have heard some do, so was thinking of around a 100 gr bullet or so. Also, I have a lot of IMR 4895 powder for loading my 8x58R, so if you have loads that use that powder, it would be great. I also have IMR 4350 and 4198, if those are good too.

I got dies with it and some cases, but I will need forming dies to size down more 30-30 brass. Where should I find those?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Years ago (1970's) I had a Highwall in 6mm/30-30 AI. I shot 75 FB to 85 BT grain Sierras for varmint hunting. I found loads in Ackley's handbook. It's a very efficient cartridge. You should not need to buy specific forming dies. Use a commonly available sizer die, 7mm-08 (remove the decapping stem) as the 'first step'. As long as you push the neck back close to the final shoulder to neck juncture, fire forming will take care of the rest. I'd suggest taking the neck down in two steps, 7mm and then 6mm, with that second step being your full length 6mm/30-30 sizer die. If necessary (?), trim to 'near final length', keeping in mind that the case will 'shorten' during fire forming. After firing, trim to desired final length. Do a chamber cast to make sure of the neck diameter to see what/if neck turning may be required.
4198 is a little too fast and 4350 a little too slow. Ackley listed 4895 for 85 grain and 3031 for 75 and 85 grain. for 90 and 105 grain, he lists 4320 with these loads and speeds for 105 grain: 34 gr. - 2430 fps, 36 gr. - 2885 fps, and 38 gr. - 3015 fps. Obviously and always, start low and work up!
You may be able to 'get away with' using your 6mm/30-30AI seater die, with stem removed, as the 'first step' forming die if necks are 'soft' (annealed?) enough, but you may have more 'case casualties' than starting with a 7mm-08 sizer.
Keep us informed how things worked out.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Another thought; If you really want to use your supply of 4895, 85 grain bullets of 'proper structure' are entirely adequate for deer hunting. As such, here are two loads Ackley lists for 4895 with 85 grain bullets: 35 gr. - 3150 fps and 37 gr. - 3300 fps. Again, start low!

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,398 Posts
Who made those powders, and what they were when Ackley was loading; and what they are and who now makes them, are entirely different.
Something to be cognisant of, when giving or taking loads online.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Who made those powders, and what they were when Ackley was loading; and what they are and who now makes them, are entirely different.
Something to be cognisant of, when giving or taking loads online.
Agreed, but you have to start somewhere, and you won't find loading data for the 6mm/30-30 AI in any modern/up-to-date loading manual. While Ackley's book (my reference) only lists the powder 'number', I'm sure you know from his era, he is referring to IMR powders, with 4895 possibly including 'H' surplus powder, common in the day. If the OP has access to one of the modern software programs for load development, all the better, but then he wouldn't have ask the question in the first place. Again, start low, and work up. Just trying to help the guy.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,006 Posts
Measure the case capacity, and find what is closest, one side or the other. That's your answer as far as "what" you have.

I'd be a little cautious with old Ackley data, with the merry-go-round of powder production these days...... or even if you had the original stuff.

·
Premium Member
15,466 Posts
Even though case capacity is near the .243 Win., the Krag is a 40kspi action. BE CAREFUL.

Reactions: crooked creek

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all of you wildcatters for your responses and guidance. I am thinking I might try the 85 gr (I will have to order some and hopefully not have to mortgage the house!) bullets with 35 grains of IMR-4895 and see how that does.
When I load for the Danish Krag 8x58R, my hunting load is 45 grains of 4895 behind a 170 gr bullet. It seems like
it should hold up to 35 grains.
I will also start looking for a 7mm-08 sizing die.
If I use 4895 for fire forming, about how much do you suggest? Corn meal too? Wad?

Thanks again for your help!! I will try to post a picture or two of the rifle on here soon.

·
Premium Member
15,466 Posts
Fire form with a FULL LOAD and bullet OR a small amount of pistol powder and a bulky filler. (I use grits because I have it on hand for breakfast).
You do NOT want a protruding primer. That indicates incomplete forming.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fire form with a FULL LOAD and bullet OR a small amount of pistol powder and a bulky filler. (I use grits because I have it on hand for breakfast).
You do NOT want a protruding primer. That indicates incomplete forming.
More good info. Thanks!

I am getting pretty excited about trying this gun out! Taking my time, though. Getting the information and knowledge and the right equipment.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hello,

I am wondering if any of you has some loads you might be willing to share. I am normally a Krag guy, but I recently
picked up a 1928 Danish Krag single shot action that has been re-barreled to 6mm 30-30 AI. So, now I need to reload for it.
I was thinking of hunting deer with it, as I have heard some do, so was thinking of around a 100 gr bullet or so. Also, I have a lot of IMR 4895 powder for loading my 8x58R, so if you have loads that use that powder, it would be great. I also have IMR 4350 and 4198, if those are good too.

I got dies with it and some cases, but I will need forming dies to size down more 30-30 brass. Where should I find those?

Thanks!
I don't have any load data for this cartridge, but noted through some research that the site loaddata.com list some. Looks like you have to subscribe to get the full data, but their cursory view lists IMR-3031, IMR-4895, and IMR-4320 as some suggested powders depending on the bullet weight one loads. If you are looking to shoot a 100 gr. bullet, your rifle will need a twist of at least 1 in 10 to stabilize the bullet. Remington kind of made that mistake when they introduced the 244 Remington cartridge and only chambered rifles with 1 in 12 twists. This left egg on their face when folks wanted to shoot 100 gr. Spitzer bullets and they would not stabilize. They subsequently reintroduced the cartridge as the 6mm Remington (exact same physical cartridge) but built rifles with a 1 in 9 twist. So, moral to this story is to verify your rifle's twist. If it's only 1 in 12, you are probably limited to a max bullet weight of 90 gr. in Spitzer style bullets.

On case forming, you'll want to do an intermediate sizing step in going from 30 cal. cartridge cases to 6mm. For my 6mm Remington, I run 30-06 cases through a 7 x 57 form & trim die before sizing to 6mm Remington. I'm not sure what intermediate forming die you'd need for reducing 30-30 cases, but you could contact RCBS to see what they would suggest. There are multiple wildcat cartridges based on the 30-30 case, so I suspect RCBS makes something (for a price).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts