Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think about this claim? I just don't see it, and while we're at it, how does it compare to the 6.5 Grendel?

·
Premium Member
14,215 Posts
I think its too simple to answer. All the ballistics are listed on line and it's easy to see the difference.

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,160 Posts
As Jack said, jump to Hornady's page and you can see the ballistics laid out.

What it really is meant for, and why the DoD purchased a bunch, if for the AR-15 platform. In that OAL setting, with downrange energy and barrier concerns; it's a huge upgrade. In terms of a DMR rifle, it's far smaller and lighter than an AR-10.

Worlds better? Of course not, but in specific roles it's much better.

Cheers

Reactions: Kevinbear

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Boy. It does seem the like to release a new “precision rifle cartridge” every couple months now...

It looks like a contender for that new .224 Valkyrie they just released from federal. Basically, like others pointed out in the black rifle thread, this looks like a slight modification for the 6mm PPC loaded with heavy for cal projectiles.

Anyways. I do have some mild interest in the .300 PRC. Heavy .30 cals in a non belted case... seems like fun. If I’m going to shoot something far away, I want to make notice of what I just did with some oomph. I want steel to ring, not ding.

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,160 Posts
Boy. It does seem the like to release a new “precision rifle cartridge” every couple months now....
It's not in vogue to release a "6 X 220 Russian" :D

Reactions: six speed

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I'm not seeing where anyone of note is claiming that the 6mm arc = the .308 performance whatever that means, the 6mm arc beats the 308 in both trajectory and wind drift but lags behind a good bit in energy.

From Hornady
https://www.hornady.com/6mmARC#!/

Info added
In this case where both cartridges would be fired from military style semi-autos the 6mm should have the edge in penetration on all manner of things from barriers to vehicles because the SD {sectional density} is higher than the 308 bullets usable in detachable magazines.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts