Shooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went turkey hunting with a friend this morning, didn't see any but probably 50+ deer, 7 whitetail bucks in one group, that was unusual and very exciting.
Stopped at the range on the way home and sighted the 6mm arc in for antelope hunting, the new Bushnell 4.5x18 is just fantastic especially considering it sells for under 250.00
It comes with half a dozen turrets for different cartridges/trajectories, I chose the 224 Valkyrie which has a trajectory very close to the 6mm arc.
When zeroed at 200yds with the Hornady Precision Hunter 103gr. eld-x I was able to hit standard size clay targets at 300,400 and 500yds by simply setting the scope to the corresponding distance on the turret. At 600yds the gun shot low and it was necessary to set the scope at 625yds, it was a relatively calm morning but it still took 4 shots to hit the clay pigeon at 600yds, all things considered like this isn't a target rifle and it's factory ammunition I'm thinking that's pretty remarkable. Sorry no pictures this time.
Amazon.com : Bushnell 4.5-18x40mm AR Optics, Illuminated_AR741840EI, Black : Sports & Outdoors

Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
I really like my Bushnells. High quality optics for the money.

RJ

Reactions: Kevinbear

The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
Pretty neat. Can't wait to see what ends up in the freezer ;)

The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
Kevin - not sure how your 6mm ARC stacks up against my 6/284 Win, but the 95 gr Hornady SST stopped a 78 4/8" antelope DRT in West Texas some years ago. Shot was around 175 - 200 yds as I recall. Have only shot paper with it since, but still gets 3/4" groups at 100 yds. For an old codger with failing eyesight and shaky hold, that's still pretty good.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Kdub, 6mm arc is a lightweight compared to your 6/284!
Because of the high bc of the 103gr. bullet {.512} the pipsqueak cartridge does better downrange than one might expect, I'm putting a self imposed limit of 400yds on pronghorn shots because beyond that the bullet velocity drops below 2100fps and the energy below 1000ft lbs. I have no experience with the eld-x hornady bullet, at some point the velocity gets low enough they don't expand much, is 2100fps that number, don't know. 2100 is 22 magnum territory, for a modern vld type bullet that sounds slow to me.
No doubt I can probably hit one in the vitals farther than that but to many things can go wrong beyond that distance and they are tough for an animal that rarely weighs in over 135lbs a least the ones in eastern colorado.

The Shadow (Moderator)
That is a good rule of thumb for Hornady's X's, they are almost the same as the original X bullet(Barnes). Much below 2,000fps can be a bit dodgy in terms of reliable performance, IME.

Cheers

Reactions: Kevinbear

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking at the numbers and thinking about using it for deer hunting it's probably okay out to 250yds with this gun, at a mv of 2615fps it's down to 2286fps at 250yds and 1195ft lbs of energy. Myself included many believe 1200ft lbs of energy is about the minimum for bigger deer over 200lbs.
Most of my shots on deer in the creek bottoms are under 250yds, more often than not under 150yds. The energy is there at that range if the wonder bullet can expand enough to do damage but not so much as to prevent full penetration and an exit hole.

The Shadow (Moderator)
Personally I don't care at all about theoretical energy, only operational velocity for bullet expansion.

If you want some visuals, Barbour Creek has a YouTube channel where they test bullets at various distances including out to 1k, and show you what various velocities yield for bullet operation in gel.

Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts