Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was opening day for antelope season in the eastern plains of Colorado. Beautiful morning in the low 50's with no wind, there were little bucks everywhere!
At one point there were six of them running in circles out in front of me inside 100yds, all of them 1.5 to 2.5 year olds with 5-8" horns. I might shoot one on the last day of the season but for now it's more fun to watch them.
All dressed up for the hunt.

There was post about choices for hunting boots, my Ariat's got the job today, same conditions today as any rancher would encounter so the choice was easy.
Size 10 Ariat work boots with a gaiter for cactus protection.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One item I'd like to review that's new to me is the Cole-TAC backbone bag support and flat bag, I used it for most of the NRL22 match last week on my 22lr AR. It works equally well on a regular centerfire AR-15, probably one of the most useful add-ons I've ever used, it's solid as a rock under your gun.
They're made in the USA and not inexpensive but the quality is first rate. That latch on the quick release is a clever idea and extremely well made.
Support Bags | Cole-TAC Outdoor Gear

Registered
Thanks Kevinbear.. glad someone is out having fun .. rifle looks cool .. and no chance of getting sick out in the wild .. my favorite place to be .. or should I say safest place to be

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been vaccinated, wasn't crazy about the idea, pretty sure I had the variant about a month ago because I had symptoms for 3 days. I'm around people all the time, I ain't skeered, ha ha
It's weird, I drive 35miles into denver and everyone's wearing masks and freaked out, people rarely wear them where I live, lifes pretty normal, well kinda normal.
I noticed there were way more antelope hunters out driving the roads than last year on opening day, there was a really good buck laying with his herd on the other side of the highway{different hunting zone}, must have been 20 trucks stop and look at him, none shot because they were 200yds from my neighbhors ranch house.

Registered
Nice looking setup you are using. Good to see a MSR in the hunt . Looking forward to your results.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well this has been a tough week, I did something to my knee a couple of months ago and it's been getting worse by the week. I was on steroids for 10 days which was fantastic, talk about the magic pill, those are but I ran out a week ago and couldn't get anymore, I'm miserable now.
Went out early this morning, messing around the house with the dogs put me a half hour behind schedule so I pulled into the ranch right at legal shooting time. As I got out to open the second gate a mile in a buck crossed under the fence way up ahead of me, I ranged him at 585yds. Opportunities for shots have been far and few between so I dialed the scope to 650yds, the setting that scored hits on the 6" plate at 600yds a couple of weeks ago at my range. The shot went right over his front shoulder, I normally wouldn't shoot at unwounded game at that distance, but it was dead calm this morning.
One of the things that's really nice about hunting with a suppressed gun is every animal in your area code doesn't run like Hades from a missed shot. Two hills over and a half mile away at the corrals there were several bucks headed for the water tank, I only had to wait 30 minutes for them to graze into range, they held up from coming all the way in sensing something was different about corrals, like that gold truck hidden inside the chute maybe!
Anyways when the bigger one turned broadside at 261yds I put one in him, he dropped instantly, if your shooting game for meat that's not a good sign, usually it means a spine shot, wasted backstrap.
I watched him through the scope for a minute or two and he never moved.
After field dressing the mystery was solved, the shot was high, the bullet hit a rib coming in and barely ticked one of his vertebras and hit another rib on the way out. Both entrance and exit hole were about the same size at 1.5"-2". Didn't end up wasting any meat,yea!
One kill doesn't prove a bullets worth but the little 103gr. Hornady ELD-X did very well in this one instance, good enough I'm going to try it on deer.
Exit wound can be seen in the tan part of his coat right at the juncture with the white, he has good horn length but no hooks or prongs to speak of, good mature pronghorn but not a trophy.

That Cole-tac pad I bought for NRL22 worked really well on this antelope hunt.

Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
Nice!!

He shouldn't be all "rutted up" being with a bachelor bunch.

My 56" Blaine County (Montana) buck was STANKY!!! Only one I ever shot.

RJ

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
RJ, you live in Craig and don't kill antelope on a routine basis? We need to talk! Gotta be landowner tags available.
I've shot well over a hundred of them, the ones here in eastern Colorado where there's no sage brush for them to eat are pretty tasty, non-hunters that eat them at my BBQ's prefer it over deer. For whatever reason antelope makes better burger than deer so they get totally ground except the loin. Smoked antelope meatloaf being my favorite.
I have the ones I get in Wyoming ground into breakfast sausage, not necessary to add sage seasoning, ha ha
I have doe license for the December season, more to come in this report.

Registered
I haven't hunted speed goats in over 30 years. A friend hooked me up with a Bow hunt in I think about 1991 or so. I had a ladder incident about 3 days before the hunt started and I goofed up my knee really bad, so had to beg off. He wound up killing a Pope and Young on that trip. My work picked way up the next year and I didn't do a ton of hunting after that.

I envy you Keven. Sweet rig. Glad you are liking the ARC.

The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
Dang, that looks like fun. I've got a .257 Weatherby that needs to bark at a speed goat one of these days.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts