Shooters Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Not to mention that most br shooters are older guys who don't own AR-15's.

Premium Member
KB-- maybe you miss my meaning. The ARC offers an alternative to buck each brass and I'd like to know if Lapua brass is worth the extra 25%.
The best way to do that is shoot groups from both makes of brass from the same rifle.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
I gotcha Jack, there's 6ppc brass available for .53 to .64 per each from Norma when you can get it.

I was looking to see if I could order all the parts to assemble one myself, thinking the 6.5 grendel is the correct bolt carrier group, would the recoil spring need to be changed?

Premium Member
I see! I thought PPC brass was rare and expensive.

You'd need to ask somebody that knows about ARs about the spring. I've still never had one or even looked at one closely, much less understand the nuances. :)

I just rummaged around and found a quart jar full of 68 gr Corbin 6mm HPs. :eek:
A neigbor's kid just ran over his CZ527 7.62x39 carbine and bent the barrel and broke the stock. He sold it cheap. So, I have an action. The stock can be repaired, have 1-12 barrel, extra rings? yes. Scope? 6-18 Redfield. Reamer rental is $40. Why not have another small 6mm for forty bucks?

The mind of a gunjunky. ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I see! I thought PPC brass was rare and expensive.

You'd need to ask somebody that knows about ARs about the spring. I've still never had one or even looked at one closely, much less understand the nuances. :)

I just rummaged around and found a quart jar full of 68 gr Corbin 6mm HPs. :eek:
A neigbor's kid just ran over his CZ527 7.62x39 carbine and bent the barrel and broke the stock. He sold it cheap. So, I have an action. The stock can be repaired, have 1-12 barrel, extra rings? yes. Scope? 6-18 Redfield. Reamer rental is $40. Why not have another small 6mm for forty bucks?

That's the way the mind of a gunjunky works. ;)
When you get it put together I'll test it for you if you like.:D

Premium Member
See! That's how conspiracies start! There needs to be side by side testing of a bolt gun and ARrrg, by the same shooter and I ain't it. :) :)
I figure I'll be a hundred and nine before I get to this project. ;)

The Shadow (Moderator)
thinking the 6.5 grendel is the correct bolt carrier group, would the recoil spring need to be changed?
Supposedly the Grendel bolt and correct barrel is all you need.
They didn't say whom is already fielding the cartridge, but given the "not discontinued" discontinued list, and working with the military at Lake City; it's probably not a reserve force.:D

Registered
The bolt head could be either a 6.5 grendel bolt or a 7.62x39. The difference is how deep the face is set in. Pretty much, you鈥檇 have to buy one, disassemble it鈥檚 and check headspace to be sure... A lot of the time though, you can ask the barrel manufacturer to sell you a bolt with the barrel that has been headspace checked.

As to the recoil spring. No. With an AR, you typically always leave the spring standard. The only reason I鈥檝e heard of anybody changing to a slightly heavier spring is for full auto fire. Supposedly it reduces bolt bounce.

What you would need to do most likely, is increase the weight of the recoil buffer. They come in 4 weights. Standard with no marking, an H1, H2, and H3. The H buffers will have an appropriate marking on their face. Again. You鈥檒l have to play around to find which one works best. Probably an H1 or H2. H3 is usually reserved for piston operated rifle using a suppressor or something very heavy recoiling.

The Shadow (Moderator)
FWIW, most reports are saying to use the Grendel bolt #2

Cheers

Registered
I had high hopes that was the Remington 30AR. Not sure why this one never took off. It would have been a great cartridge for a gun crank to neck up and down.

I wish I had an upper for one, but sadly nobody makes them.

Registered
If I am understanding this correctly this new cartridge will function on the AR15 platform? Who makes the upper for it? Will it fit a DPMS spec lower? Yes that is kind of pricey for ammo and I have not really seen any of it on the local sporting goods stores shelves.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #36 ·

The Shadow (Moderator)
If I am understanding this correctly this new cartridge will function on the AR15 platform? Who makes the upper for it? Will it fit a DPMS spec lower? Yes that is kind of pricey for ammo and I have not really seen any of it on the local sporting goods stores shelves.
Well if it doesn't fit in the AR-15 platform, the DoD bought a mistake, Barrett has been building the wrong thing under contract, and Hornady submitted a cartridge to SAAMI for no reason.;)

Several already are selling uppers, it's stated in the videos published on Hornady's YouTube channel, and several websites have articles about it.

Cheers

Registered
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
Well if it doesn't fit in the AR-15 platform, the DoD bought a mistake, Barrett has been building the wrong thing under contract, and Hornady submitted a cartridge to SAAMI for no reason.;)

Several already are selling uppers, it's stated in the videos published on Hornady's YouTube channel, and several websites have articles about it.

Cheers
When starting a new thread that is designed to be imformative and create some good conversation I often use youtube video's, my assumption is that people can open and watch them which if your internet service sucks may not be possible, that even if they do have high speed internet that they will watch it before going further and commenting on the subject or at least skim the responses for information before asking written questions, silly me...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
It looks like if you already have an AR in 223/5.56 you could buy the 6mm arc barrel for 225.00, bolt carrier group for 125.00, 6.5 grendel mag for 15.00 and a box of ammunition for 25.00= 390.00+ whatever shipping. Could easily be done for under 500.00, my only concern is the barrel contours available right now, AR's are pretty heavy anyway and target/varmint contours make them really heavy.

Registered
KB-- maybe you miss my meaning. The ARC offers an alternative to buck each brass and I'd like to know if Lapua brass is worth the extra 25%.
The best way to do that is shoot groups from both makes of brass from the same rifle.
There's no question about the quality of Lapua brass, or its cost. Over at MDWS, Bruce's line of 'fat cat' cartridges were originally based on the 6.5x47 Lapua case. Neck reaming and turning was necessary for most of them, but it was superb brass (I've been using the same 100 7mm Valkyrie cases for 5 years). That didn't stop Bruce from continuing to find an alternative. LC brass works but is just as much work to form and has less capacity. But now we are using 6mm Dasher brass, which eliminates most of the forming issues we had with Lapua, and so far it seems to be just as long lived.

So, whether or not it is worth the cost kind of depends on how well the alternatives work. We got lucky with the Dasher case, but that is a specific situation. I suspect that once handloaders get their hands on the ARC case, it will get put through the ringer to see just how good it is. I also predict that Starline will pick it up to provide ready to load brass.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts