Shooters Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
It's impossible to predict whether or not a cartridge will be successful, there's lots of great cartridges that never took off and plenty that there's nothing special about that remain popular.
On paper the 6mm arc seems to have everthing you would want that fits into a standard size AR-15, that doesn't mean it will be a popular cartridge.
At some point most folks get new cartridge fatigue with manufacturer's constantly bringing new ones every year, what I see in this case is that the modular design of the AR allows you to change the caliber relativity cheap.
I discovered recently that unlike Rambo I can't shoot two AR's at the same time so there's really no point in having two of them in the same caliber set up the same except the scope.:D
Can't wait to start acquiring parts!

Registered
If you saw that cartridge standing in the crowd at the cartridge reunion, you'd call it PPC. Same parent, same 'height' and within a grain or two of same capacity. THAT is a patent/trade-mark dodge if I ever saw one. By the drawings, a PPC will fire (safely enough) in an ARC but not visa-versa. A 6PPC will easily fireform to 6mm ARC with no case losses and the same headspace.
Headspace on both are at junctions of the shoulder and not a datum between the two. So, both cartridges have dual headspace datums and one is the same (within .002). PPC brass will be used more than ARC, in my opinion.

Edit--PPC brass will only last a few reloadings as drawn. The ARC's neck is a whopping .012 larger than the PPC. .274 vs .262. Just guessing that is a legal move. The larger dimension is the same as .243 Win and 6mm Rem. instead of BR tight.
Reading between the lines it looks like there wasn鈥檛 going to be an established standard for 6mm PPC as there were at least three versions of it listed at the CIP https://bobp.cip-bobp.org/en/tdcc_publicwith non standardised chambering and case measurements variations due to its inheritance as an exotic custom calibre originated by the BR and Rail Gun target brigade unless or until a large commercial manufacturer stepped in and created a set standard for chambering and case dimensions and the 6mm ARC was borne from that effort...I think.

Registered
The bolt head could be either a 6.5 grendel bolt or a 7.62x39. The difference is how deep the face is set in. Pretty much, you鈥檇 have to buy one, disassemble it鈥檚 and check headspace to be sure... A lot of the time though, you can ask the barrel manufacturer to sell you a bolt with the barrel that has been headspace checked.

As to the recoil spring. No. With an AR, you typically always leave the spring standard. The only reason I鈥檝e heard of anybody changing to a slightly heavier spring is for full auto fire. Supposedly it reduces bolt bounce.

What you would need to do most likely, is increase the weight of the recoil buffer. They come in 4 weights. Standard with no marking, an H1, H2, and H3. The H buffers will have an appropriate marking on their face. Again. You鈥檒l have to play around to find which one works best. Probably an H1 or H2. H3 is usually reserved for piston operated rifle using a suppressor or something very heavy recoiling.
You forgot the H6 buffer. Nearly same weight as a M16 rifle buffer. Used when running a 20" rifle barrel with carbine receiver extension. Makes the combination reliable when firing full auto/burst. Designed by the Army for M16A2 rifles using a collapsible stock.

If I want a 6mm out of a AR15, I'm going to go with the 6x45mm wildcat. Been around for 60 yrs, uses cheap brass, same 5.56 bolt and magazines. All I need is a new barrel.

CD

Reactions: JBelk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
210.00 for a SS barrel! Good old Shaw comes through with a barrel, 18" seems to be the standard short barrel for this cartridge, I'm still going to wait for the 16" sporter contour.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Weird that my reply didn't make this thread show up in active discussions'

The Shadow (Moderator)
It does, it's at the top of the list in black rifles just like it's always worked.

If you mean why isn't it in the list when you click on "New", that part of the software appears to be somewhat half baked.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Yes, under new. That's a pretty big glitch seeing as how it doesn't show up on the General page either, it only shows a time since the last post. A reader would have to click on each sub category to see which thread was active and who had commented. To me some people's posts are interesting to read regardless of the topic even if it's something I normally wouldn't be interested in, the new format definitely limits that browsing.

The Shadow (Moderator)
Yes, under new. That's a pretty big glitch seeing as how it doesn't show up on the General page either, it only shows a time since the last post. A reader would have to click on each sub category to see which thread was active and who had commented.
the new format definitely limits that browsing.
Having to click on each sub-category, is how the forum worked for years; so that isn't really a change, but I take the point you're after.

If it makes you feel better (said tongue-in-cheek), there are several aggravations on our side as well.

We have a list going, and are working on trying to get some things changed. Appreciate the input.

PS, congratulations on the new found freedom.:D

Cheers

Registered
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Well I've been accumulating parts, components and am getting very close to having everything I need to convert one of my 223 AR's to 6mm arc and load ammunition for it, waiting on a barrel to show up.

The Shadow (Moderator)
I know it's only been 12 days, but I'm impatiently waiting for someone to return a call馃槈

How's the project going?
Am honestly considering re-barreling a Hawkeye into the ARC.

Cheers

Registered
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I've contacted several barrel makers, the disappointment was ER Shaw, they list barrels in stock but they're 20" H-bar length and contour, when asked if they would make a 16-18" sporter contour....nope. I wanted to remind them they are a CUSTOM barrel maker but it wouldn't do any good.
In the meantime I'm waiting for a 16" sporter barrel from CMMG, and waiting, and waiting some more.
There are barrels available starting at 350. to 500.,that's benchrest barrel prices ++, for now I'll be patient.

Registered
I've contacted several barrel makers, the disappointment was ER Shaw, they list barrels in stock but they're 20" H-bar length and contour, when asked if they would make a 16-18" sporter contour....nope. I wanted to remind them they are a CUSTOM barrel maker but it wouldn't do any good.
In the meantime I'm waiting for a 16" sporter barrel from CMMG, and waiting, and waiting some more.
There are barrels available starting at 350. to 500.,that's benchrest barrel prices ++, for now I'll be patient.
When I ordered a standard contour 308 barrel for my savage from ER Shaw, it took 6 months for them to finish it. I knew that going in, and I wasn't in a hurry. My point is, they seem to be very busy, and probably not interested in doing truly custom work.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Well it's been a year since I started this thread and still no rifle.....but, Sunday night I was surfing the internet and unexpectedly found a Faxon arms barrel, it's on the way and I should have the gun together by the weekend. 6 months ago there was ammunition available locally but I didn't buy any thinking I'd find brass at some point, didn't happen so yesterday ordered 3 boxes at 30.00 per each online. I have everything else including new bolt, forearm, gas tube and magazine. Probably won't have ammunition for another week, checking with local ranges to see if there's any used brass around. Looking for 6mm arc brass, Hornady 87gr. V-maxes and LeverEvolution powder.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
I unexpectedly got the new barrel on Wednesday, three days after ordering it, that's excellent service from a company called Joe Bob Outfitters in Hays Kansas. The barrel went on without a hitch but the new longer forearm I had to put on because of the longer gas tube hit the low profile gas block. Some judicious grinding with a Dremel tool got the needed clearance, everthing else seems as it should be, I have no way of checking headspace but the bolt head is also a Faxon arms so one would assume it's compatable with the barrel. Midsouth Shooters took a week to package and ship the ammunition, it may be here on monday or tuesday. I have custom finished suppressor for it as well but won't see it for a while either.
When I get the ammunition and a couple of other accessories I ordered I'll post some pictures.
This is an appeal to others who may read this, I'm searching for Hornady 6mm arc brass, if you see some in your local gunshop buy it, I'll gladly pay you 70.00 for an unopened bag of 50 pieces.

The Shadow (Moderator)
This is an appeal to others who may read this, I'm searching for Hornady 6mm arc brass, if you see some in your local gunshop buy it, I'll gladly pay you 70.00 for an unopened bag of 50 pieces.
Don't talk like one of them, you're not; even if you want to be... 馃槈

Take a breath, open a new Chrome tab and use it.
The very first result that came back, shows it's currently in-stock at optics planet, for much less than that price.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #56 · (Edited)
It says it's in stock but it's actually to backorder, 6-11 months.
I've looked on the internet until I'm blue in the face, have friends that work at stores ready to call me, no such luck.
I suspect that there is a couple of bags sitting on a shelf in some off the beaten path gun store.
There is an online dealer that has the brass, 236.50 for a bag of 50pcs, but they will let you buy one piece at a time for 4.73.

Registered
It says it's in stock but it's actually to backorder, 6-11 months.
I've looked on the internet until I'm blue in the face, have friends that work at stores ready to call me, no such luck.
I suspect that there is a couple of bags sitting on a shelf in some off the beaten path gun store.
There is an online dealer that has the brass, 236.50 for a bag of 50pcs, but they will let you buy one piece at a time for 4.73.
I'm making a run to one of my suppliers on early next week. I'm also running by the range to check on it after the rains we had to see if I need a boat to get in. :D

If they have any once fired I can scrounge up, I'll gladly send it to you for the price of shipping. No promises, but I'll take a look. The 100 yard range gets a lot of black rifle use.

Good luck and all the best.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts