Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
I'm thinking a new keyboard might be in order! :D

The 6mm Remington operates at slightly higher pressure and has a bit more case capacity. In truth, and by very small degrees, it is a superior cartridge. However, it was initially offered with a rate of twist that did not favor heavier bullets, as Remington figured guys would be using it for varmints, anyway. Well, the .243 had a 1:9 twist from day one, so it would stabilize those heavier bullets, making it a more versatile option. Remington realized this a bit too late, so despite going to a faster twist (and a misguided name change) they found themselves way behind in the 24 caliber popularity contest...something they've never recovered from.

For all intents and purposes, the two cartridges ARE interchangeable. For what it's worth, I shot my friend's 6mm Remington back around 1990 and was suitably impressed with the sub-MOA groups it was capable of, with 80gr varmint bullets and 100gr deer bullets.

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
I absolutely love shooting mine. It has a heavy Shilen barrel on it an it's extremely accurate. Shot many whitetails with it. I personally think it's a little underpowered for the big Minnesota deer I shoot but that's another story. So are you saying I could buy .243 ammunition and run it through this rifle?
NO! ABSOLUTELY NOT!

When I said they can be used interchangeably, I was referring to their purpose, not putting the case from one rifle into the other! Both are superb long-range varmint guns and "adequate" for deer, but it would be completely unsafe to use .243 ammo in your 6mm, or vice versa.

Something tells me you already knew that and you're just keeping the conversation lively?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.