Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting back into reloading after many years of downtime. Powders/bullets have changed greatly since last I chucked my own rds. I want to reload 6mm for a Remington Mohawk w/18"barrel. Im looking for advice on a good powder to use. Not so concerned on pushing it to the max, just want to get a powder that will burn in that short tube. I will be loading 75/85gr bullets. My last experience with a 6mm was way back (1985) and out of a Remington 700 24". Then I used mostly 760 ball powder with good results. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Welcome back to reloading, TLG. :)

Things have changed, but largely stayed the same. WW760 is still an excellent choice for the 6mm Remington, as are powders such as H380, RL15, IMR4320 and 4350. Some people will tell you to use a slightly faster powder in a shorter barrel, but aside from possibly reducing muzzle flash, that really isn't necessary. What works best in a short barrel will also work best in a long barrel, so far as ballistic efficiency is concerned. I've loaded 75 and 87gr V-max bullets in my 243Win and it shows a marked preference for the heavier pill, which disappointed me a bit.

Maybe I just need to keep working with the lighter bullet, but arguing with what a gun likes makes about as much sense as arguing with what a woman likes...both are largely a waste of time. :)

Try some 760 and if that doesn't work, some 4350 or RL15...those are the three I would start with and I'll be very surprised if you don't find a suitable load with one of them.

Again, welcome!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,798 Posts
They'll all burn, they'll all be loud :D

I haven't reloaded much for my 6mm, but I am going to start with H4350 when I do. Also, some very accurate factory loads that I pulled down appear to be loaded with what is IMR-4831, or a close equivalent. That was with 100gr. bullets, FYI.

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts