Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which cartridge would you build and why? Have a Remington 600 222 that I am going to use. Have a 25. 1-12 twist octagon barrel now. What are your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
14,341 Posts
I made my own version of the 6x47 but use .223 brass. I call it the 6mm Cheapshot. It's made by short chambering with 6x47 reamer and trimming the same off the dies.

You'll have trouble finding enough 47mm brass, I think.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
There is one in Wildcat Cartridges Vol II and it's pretty old data. I have Rem 722 factory 222 mag also another one with 27" barrel. Been lot of years but did 6x47AI, no VLD bullets but great varmint rifle.

I'm not much into 25 cal so 25x222 mag would be of no interest but if you like it, might want to try it. Well good luck

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
Which cartridge would you build and why? Have a Remington 600 222 that I am going to use. Have a 25. 1-12 twist octagon barrel now. What are your thoughts?
First of all, welcome to Shooters Forum. :)

Since you already have a 25 caliber barrel, that almost makes your decision for you, doesn't it? Without knowing what you plan to shoot/hunt with this cartridge, it's hard to really recommend one over the other. Be advised that you should probably anneal at least once while necking up from 20 to 25 caliber, even if you're going to use a tapered expander button.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hangn7 -

Howdy !

While you did not state the rifle's intended use, I'll take a w.a.g. and imagine it will be a walking varminter.

The 1-12 twist barrel is perhaps even more interesting than its ocatagon shape. One very often sees 1-10 twist barrels in .25" claibre.

While much has been said about perceived lack of bullet choices in .25" cal, the fact is there as still some really good .25 cal bullets out there.

With the 1-12 and for varmint, Sierra's old-school 75gr HP would be a great fit w/ that twist; I should think.
That's one way of goin'.

Keep us posted !

With regards,
357Mag

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
You have a 25 cal barrel but.....would you have to buy a reamer, 25x47 in not a common wildcat.
All the big shops have 6x47 reamers and dies for it are not expensive, mine were less than 50.00.
Then there's the bullets, much better selection in every category for 6mm, best target bullet diameter ever, 65 grain all the way up to 115gr. Varmint bullets same thing, live game is pretty good as well especially considering the velocities of the 222mag case.

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
Good point, KB...the OP would probably be better off going with the 25-45 Sharps, if he wants to shoot 25-caliber bullets and make use of the existing barrel. The thing is, if he REALLY wants a 25x47, the only thing keeping him from getting there is a few blank checks. :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
With a 1 in 12" you're limited to maybe 87gr.

I have AR's in .25-45 and .25-6.8 both are fine rounds in 1 in 10" twist. The .25-45 is where I'd go due to the .222 bolt face. The .204 case will give a couple hundred FPS but the extra case capacity may not be that great with lighter bullets. Using .223 brass makes them free at a lot of ranges but not so with the .204 cases.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for all the thought fodder. Wrote this reply once and hit a wrong button and it was gone. I live in central Montana just a few miles south of Canada. Open country with a few coulees. Rifle would be used on yotes, badgers, fox, deer, antelope and a few gophers. 50 to maybe 90 grain bullets. Have a couple grandkids at shooting and hunting age. Have shot a couple yotes at 800 and 900 yards. 6.5-06 with 140 go ballistic tips. Have a 800 yard range out my back door. Looking for thoughts that will help tip me one way or another. Thank you again and keep your ideas flowing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I already have, 250-3000, 257 bob. 25-06, 257 weatherby, 6mm, 243, 204, 22-250, 223. Guess that's why I am looking at the somewhat smaller case. Either one would make a fine rifle. The 1-12 twist lends itself to the lighter bullets. Don't have much in the barrel, cheap impulse buy. Thank again

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
So, this is strictly a "want" proposition; based on the rifles you already have, you certainly don't need either of the smaller rounds you mentioned.

If the goal is a light-recoiling round the grandkids can shoot at modest ranges, either one will work. Which one do you want to reload the ammunition for? Have you dealt with a wildcat or the hassles of forming brass, before?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wildcats, yes in the simple way. 6.5-06, 338-06. I want it because I need it. I need it because I want it, mmmmmmmmm. Either way I will have to use some of the blank checks. I like the 204 case because it gives me more range as in speed, you are able to use it if you want but you don't need to.its as simple as opening up the neck, noting that the 25 is more of a stretch to attempt. The 6mm has more bullet selection, I have to buy a barrel but would get what fits my needs, twist, taper, length, and material. The 25 I have to work with what I have, have reamer and dies made, less choice of bullets, live with barrel profile and I am sure there are a few more things I have not thought of. The Remington 600 I have will not shoot accurate. It just sits there. Been thinking about this for a long time, should have done something years ago.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
hangn7, After reading all your post, you like 25 cal and that's what you should build. The Rem in 222mag is my only factory chambered rifle and everything else is something I liked. Sometimes it may take me couple years but it get done and sometimes that's part of the fun.

Good Luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I really appreciate everyone's input. We all think a little different, have tried different things and learned from it. I take everyone's input serious. That is how I learn. Thank you to all and keep your thoughts coming.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Your new around here so you probably haven't seen my 6x47 set up for highpower silhouette, I have right around 1000.00 in it including the cost of a new 700 223 from wallyworld and dies, Douglas barrels did the work, took about 6 weeks.

The stock was an old one I had laying around, the 8.5x25 Leupold came off my previous silhouette rig.
It has a 24" Remington magnum contour premium Douglas barrel 8" twist, I shoot 95 and 115grain match bullets at 2750 and 2650fps. I've never grouped it at long distance but never have a problem hitting my 6" sight in plates at all the distances even in the wind. Distances are 219yds, 330yds, 421yards and 547yds. Those 115 mk's are amazing little bullets in the wind, almost never have to dial in more than a half minute at rams.
The only thing I would have done differently is I could have went with a 26" barrel, it would have still met the weight restriction, probably could have got another 50fps out of it and for sure it would hold better offhand with that little extra weight out on the end.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you, I wasn't thinking of the heavier bullets but I am now. Was looking toward a small ,lighter walking gun. Like I said grandkids coming up. Does the 8 twist have any negative effect on the lighter bullets? Would the 700 and the 600 action be the same length? A smith questioned if the 600 would be long enough for the oal of the 6-47 or the 25-47. I don't think it would be as that same action uses 243 and 308 which the oal is longer. Did you change the trigger in your rifle? Would a 21 or 22 inch barrel make much of a change? My use would be more like 50 to 300 yards. What bullets would think would work best for varmit to deer. Where did you get your dies? Thank you again for your insite on this subject

·
Premium Member
14,341 Posts
The very best donor rifle I've found for the type rifle you're looking for is the CZ-527. I have three of them re-barreled to my version of the 6x45. All it takes is re barreling.

The Model 600 and short 700 are about the same size but the 600 has the weird off-set bolt handle to shorten it to 'carbine' length. If the bolt handle is replaced with a M700 handle then you can use a M700 trigger in it.

I shoot nothing but 1-14 twist in the light 6mm. In fact, my 6mm Cheapshots have only shot one other bullet (three of them) in case I want to take a deer or antelope. The varmint bullet is 55 gr. Nosler Bal. Tip and the big game bullet is 75 Gr. Barnes X. They shoot great even though the twist is slow.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Jack {JBelk} doesn't like Remington 700's for a variety of reasons the lengthy to detail here but the fact is they are to the bolt action world what the 10-22 is to the semi-auto 22 world, more accessories and custom options than any other bolt gun.....I don't believe anyone would dispute that in 2017.
I believe your 600 has the same dimensions as the model 7 and the xp-100, not as common as the 700 but the triggers will interchange and many other parts, stocks are available from Boyds as well as others. All the big shops rebarrel them, dimensions are shorter on the barrel tenon and the action screws are closer together.

BTW I don't like slow twist barrels especially in small calibers where you need heavier bullets. I've never understood the old school train of thought that believes you should shoot big long heavy for caliber bullets unless it's 25, 24 or 224 caliber then they want the lightest bullet they can find even when hunting medium size game...perplexing.

·
Premium Member
14,341 Posts
Jack {JBelk} doesn't like Remington 700's
I like them just fine for a full sized rifle, but there's a whole lot of wasted action for a small, walk around vaminter.

My all time favorite small action is the Sako Rhimakii, but most were 222 and too short in the magazine for a 6x45.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts