Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to settle on a cal. for a new rifle I live in oh. so hunting with it would be limited to yotes and groundhogs but I would like to learn to shoot long range up to 1000yds I load for 243 222 30-30 in my rifles 243 and 222 are both .75 moa guns if I do my part but not a 1000yd gun how bout 7-08

·
Registered
517 Posts
Yep, 260 although 7-08 is a good choice. But, the heavier .260 bullets have a real high (higher) Ballistic Coefficient, which gives you better fps (and less wind drift) past 500 or so.

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
If you were asking for the best 'hunting' caliber I would go wit the 7-08. I have been using it for several years (I wish I had started using 20+ years ago) and it is as good as it gets for deer size game (and if you limit your range on elk also).
The 6.5 Creedmoor is the newest kid on the block for the 1000 paper game now. If I had to decide between the 260 and 7-08 for your purpose I would lean toward the 6.5 (260).

·
Super Moderator
13,628 Posts
Stinky,

Your numbers aren't quite right on BC. Berger's best .264 has a G1 BC of 0.612 for a 140 grain match. Sierra's 142 grain is their best at 0.595. Berger has a 180 grain 0.284 (7 mm) that has a BC of 0.659. The Sierra 240 grain MK has 0.711, if you have something that can launch it? So, the guys shooting the .30's are mainly taking advantage of the BC's and also of having enough powder to get the big bullets going fast enough to stay at the top of the transonic range to 1000 yards. However, if you divide the BC by the bullet weight, you get the most BC per unit weight with the .264's. So, to the extent recoil is an issue for you or the gun, there is an advantage there.

The 7 mm-08 with a fast enough twist for the 175 grain Sierras or the 180 grain Bergers, will outperform the .308 with those same bullet weights, and could be an advantage in a tac rifle match, therefore. But if you're talking unlimited rifle matches, it just won't hold enough powder to give the bullet enough velocity to keep up with the mags of any caliber.

·
Registered
497 Posts
The 1000 yard requirement adds a wrinkle here. Sounds to me like either a .243"/.264" round or something like a 300 Winny. As much as I love my 7mm-08, I don't view it as a legitimate 1000 yard gun.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I think the thing is... 6.5mm bullets with the best BC are around 140gr. The .260 Rem can handle those fine (as can the 6.5-284, etc). To get the best BC bullets for 7mm, you need to get up 170gr+ and those are really long and intrude into the powder space for the 7mm-08, decreasing muzzle velocity. Plus, they're heavy and would be slower out of the barrel for that as well.

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
flip a coin, with a long enough tube to maintain supersonic speeds either will do the job. they are both wonderful cartridges and i have experience with the 7/08, albeit in a 15" encore, and i really really like it. the 6.5 creedmore is available in the ruger hawkeye and i think that would be my choice since you are already a reloader and in a pinch you could use brass from either the 7/08 or 260 to make creedmore brass... for that matter you could use 243 brass as well.

i say 6.5 creedmore!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks I think I'll try the 260 in a rem 700 I know a good smith to blueprint and trigger.
I have Win 70 in 243'how would it preform with 107grn sierras?not sure of twist think it's 1in10

·
Banned
199 Posts
People are shooting 1000yd comp here with fast twist .223's and either aperture or scope (F class) sights, so either a .260 or 7mm-08 should do the trick. But if you're serious about being competitive over those sorts of distances I would think a 6.5/284, or a magnum .30 would be a better bet.

Any of these cartridges would be expensive to shoot varmints with so perhaps if we had a better idea of the sort of competition you want to shoot, and the guns allowed by the rules, we could offer better help.

·
Banned
105 Posts
If I were looking at trying to shoot 1000 yards and stay away from bigger recoil rounds, I might look into the fairly new Savage 12 F Class Precision Target in 6.5 X 284 NORMA for about $1100. Not sure if that's what I would go with but it looks like a heck of an out of the box long range competition rifle for the money. I know that I've been thinking about that gun for a while now....
For that matter, in a heavy gun that is suitable for that type of shooting you can find a used 40x for $1200 - $1500 in 7mm or 300 and the recoil is not that much in the heavy rifle. I think I paid $1400 for my 7mm mag. 40x and it was like new.
Not sure if these guns fit the bill with your coyote shooting thrown in, but it's hard to find a perfect compromise between a good field gun and a competitive gun.
Just thought I would throw a couple more idea's out there, and any reason to buy another top of the line rifle is a good reason.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
While I prefer the 260 any day of the week over a 7mm-08 and the 260 is what I built my granddaughter, however, when you start looking for over the counter rifles chamberd in a 260, the selection is going to be extremely limited. The 7mm-08 has just about pushed the 260's off the racks and the numbers even got smaller for 2010.

·
Banned
170 Posts
I am no benchrest shooter but I do not believe they generally use magnums for 1000 yard shooting. The 6.5BR or whatever name it is this week is the cats purr last I read.

AL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts