Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a Winchester 94. Bullets are getting hard to find but I have many boxes of brass and dies. What is the best source of flat point bullets for tubular magazine loads for these rounds. The only source I have found is Speer 130gr FNSP but no reloading data for 7-30.
Thanks for any help

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
Welcome to the forum RKBubba. :)

You may have to dig through some older reloading manuals, or pick up a copy of Ken Waters' Pet Loads, since he invented the round. Not too many bullets are made for this cartridge, which is why some folks elect to shoot these guns with one in the chamber and one in the tube. That opens up your bullet selection a bunch.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
You might want to start shooting cast bullets in your 7-30. The Saeco 281 is a good bullet for that cartridge. 145 grain flat point gas checked, you can buy the mold here:

Graf & Sons - SAECO #281 2 CAVITY MOULD 7MM 145gr FPGC

Or if casting is not your thing, several companies sell them. Beartooth, the sponsor of this board is one of them.

Beartooth Bullets Secure Online Shopping

I've been shooting nothing but cast bullets from my 30-30 fro decades. A good cast bullet will take any type of game a jacketed bullet will in these calibers.

·
Super Moderator
8,652 Posts
Hornady used to do a 139gr FP do they no longer do one? If you can get some Speer 130s FP then grab them. Then start to work up a load based on 34grs starting load with BL(C)2. I have used this powder with my 7-30Waters with 139gr bullets and they have performed very well. If you look at the loading data for 120gr and 139gr, starting load (always at least 10% down) add the two together and divide by two, that should give you an idea of a safe starting load for a 130gr(34grns) then you can ease up as required. I found my 139grain bullets did not like full house loads, where has the 160s I shoot do. You can only discover this by careful and sensible experiment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts