Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anybody has experience or knowledge of a 9x19 based .308 caliber that fits standard 9x19 pistols/mags. Just contemplating options at this point. Could start with molded lead bullets; Lehigh makes one suitable bullet (Xtreme Cavitator 85gr) intended for .30 carbine. I want a bottleneck cartridge. I'll probably just go with .357 sig; but, this option still interests me.

·
Super Moderator
9,504 Posts
Assuming you don't mean something like the .30 Luger (7.65X21mm)....which would pretty much interchange with the breech face/extractor, ejector of a 9mm. 7.62X25 has a length problem.

Never really all that popular a caliber in the US....had a following where "military" cartridges in civilian hands were limited (even though it did see some early military use).Might even find a factory barrel in .30 Luger.

Know I've run accross a few unexpectedly (didn't buy them)...Browning High Power and a Ruger P-89.

Going to a different case head size or a longer OAL would complicate things.

Digging in my head...for rifle/long single shot handgun uses, wasn't there a 7.65Micro Whisper that used this little case?...and I'm pretty sure some folks tried it as a .22 to get the functional equivalent of a reloadable .22mag.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not .308, but otherwise that's what I'm talking about. If I can't find a finished barrel, the standard chambering tool might work. I say "standard" as if it would be in stock anywhere lol. Thanks, maybe I can find load data and ballistic gel tests to get realistic expectations.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I have a T/C Contender barrel that is chambered for the 7.62 Micro Whisper. Really just the .30 Luger with heavy for caliber bullets. Barrel has a 1-8 twist.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a T/C Contender barrel that is chambered for the 7.62 Micro Whisper. Really just the .30 Luger with heavy for caliber bullets. Barrel has a 1-8 twist.
Neat.
I would definitely like to do something like that at some point just to have something odd that's cheap and easy to reload. Maybe something like .300 blk but use typical heavy .308 bullets (< 180 grain) and whatever case capacity to get barely subsonic with a hot load. Maybe a 10mm necked down to .338, something like that. A just-for-fun project like that is a long ways off for me though.

·
The Shadow
7,661 Posts

·
The Shadow
7,661 Posts
So then the 7.65 part is what confused you, got it now.

Mark's suggestion is a 0.308" bullet, it's just a European measurement, lands versus groves.

·
Super Moderator
9,504 Posts
Can't help the way they name the cartridges....not exactly the ultimate in accurate representation. U.S is just as guilty in miss representing bore diameter, often going for the "catchy" name....but at least don't make it a multipcation problem.(7.65X21mm....wouldn't that be 160.65mm?)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, when a 7.62x39 sounds like the same diameter but is really .311 and not .308, I think you can see where I'm coming from. I did check SAAMI's website and it says ...

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,418 Posts
There's a tolerance on everything. Look at the .30 Luger drawing. 0.3095" or as much as 0.003" smaller. In other words, 0.3065" to 0.3095" bullet diameter would still be correct.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There's a tolerance on everything. Look at the .30 Luger drawing. 0.3095" or as much as 0.003" smaller. In other words, 0.3065" to 0.3095" bullet diameter would still be correct.
Yeah, I'm sure half a thousandth from ideal on the bullet diameter would be largely insignificant; most it would likely do is change pressure curve. Softer bullets (like all-lead) are typically larger than jacketed bullets, and copper brass solids typically smaller.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm not sure what you're asking for as an "alternative". The .30 Mauser, that was shot out of the M1896 "Broomhandle" Mauser, is supposed to be dimensionally similar, but somewhat more sedate than the Russian round.
I've always wanted to shoot a Broomhandle Mauser that was chambered for 9x25 Mauser (128 gr. @ 1360 f/s). It sounds like a more ergonomic and higher magazine capacity form of the .357 Sig., a round for which attachable buttstocks seem never to have been made.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alternative, meaning not, and fits other things I mentioned. "a round for which attachable buttstocks seem never to have been made" A welder and grind can make a lot... anyway.

I think my post was pretty concise.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I need to take a reading comprehension course. I thought 7.62X25 was mentioned. You can still buy those loads surplus or from Sellier & Bellot in new loads. I will bow out here. Be Well, Bandito.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Wondering if anybody has experience or knowledge of a 9x19 based .308 caliber that fits standard 9x19 pistols/mags. Just contemplating options at this point. Could start with molded lead bullets; Lehigh makes one suitable bullet (Xtreme Cavitator 85gr) intended for .30 carbine. I want a bottleneck cartridge. I'll probably just go with .357 sig; but, this option still interests me.
Does it have to be based on the 9mm Luger case?
When I wanted to do something similar, I went with the .400CorBon....45 ACP necked down to .40 cal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does it have to be based on the 9mm Luger case?
When I wanted to do something similar, I went with the .400CorBon....45 ACP necked down to .40 cal.
Was contemplating a bottleneck round that would work well in pistol that started as a 9x19, with just a barrel swap. That's all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts