Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Usually reload my own but needed some in a hurry.
Got some from lgs and they only had Federal powershok.
Really had to have them and cost $128 for 40.
I reckon I got ripped off, got the pineapple so to speak.:eek:
What does everyone else pay at your local.
I rang a shop about 2hrs away and they don't stock that brand because there too dear,
but said they would be around 45 box of 20.
I think I'll stick to doing my own.
Any thoughts.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Purchasing some 7.62 X 39 m/m ammunition; if I buy brand name ammo like Federal, Winchester, or PPU brand, I usually see it priced anywhere from: $12.00 to $15.00 per 20 cartridges, which are brass and are reloadable. The imported steel cased ammunition usually runs $4.00 to $7.00 per 20. Some foreign (Russian) 7.62 X 39 m/m comes in 40 rounds and costs around $6.00. Ammo is made by Tula.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Hi all,
Usually reload my own but needed some in a hurry.
Got some from lgs and they only had Federal powershok.
Really had to have them and cost $128 for 40.
I reckon I got ripped off, got the pineapple so to speak.:eek:
What does everyone else pay at your local.
I rang a shop about 2hrs away and they don't stock that brand because there too dear,
but said they would be around 45 box of 20.
I think I'll stick to doing my own.
Any thoughts.
Wow that is a rip.
I got stuck paying $90 for a box of 50 federal hornet bullets, nearly cried .
Sucks when you get stuck and the lgs has picked that particular box to pay for there retirement.

Cheers

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Purchasing some 7.62 X 39 m/m ammunition; if I buy brand name ammo like Federal, Winchester, or PPU brand, I usually see it priced anywhere from: $12.00 to $15.00 per 20 cartridges, which are brass and are reloadable. The imported steel cased ammunition usually runs $4.00 to $7.00 per 20. Some foreign (Russian) 7.62 X 39 m/m comes in 40 rounds and costs around $6.00. Ammo is made by Tula.
By jove, Wish I lived in the USA.
I notice everything over there is cheaper by our standards.
Our $ is about 67 cents to yours.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow that is a rip.
I got stuck paying $90 for a box of 50 federal hornet bullets, nearly cried .
Sucks when you get stuck and the lgs has picked that particular box to pay for there retirement.

Cheers
Hi shreck, Yeah I knew he was taken a lend of me, but I was desperate as
we were chasing some pigs and about 95 kls from home.
BUT, I know where not to go ever again.
He wont ever get another $ of mine.:D
That works out at $3 a pig and there's not
even a bounty on them. If you nail one pig per shot.:eek:

·
Registered
139 Posts
By jove, Wish I lived in the USA.
I notice everything over there is cheaper by our standards.
Our $ is about 67 cents to yours.
Unfortunately there is a bit more to it than just the dollar value that we see noted on the news etc. each night.
When the dollar is 67 cents as you do suggest, the dollar buy price is 63 cents.
On top of that there is a charge to convert to $US, freight, customs brokerage and then GST.
While there are certainly some suppliers that are nothing but thieves, but the general supplier of firearm related products that have licensing costs etc on top of it all as well.
There is another thing down here, and this may offend, people tend to want to purchase a product from a remote supplier when they are in a bind for whatever reason and expect the supplier to have stock of what they want NOW and be as cheap as the major supplier in the city.
Unfortunately this is a common complaint seen here in Australia.
I can relate to it all as we are importers of thermal imaging products and have to deal with it all.
Sorry about the rant.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately there is a bit more to it than just the dollar value that we see noted on the news etc. each night.
When the dollar is 67 cents as you do suggest, the dollar buy price is 63 cents.
On top of that there is a charge to convert to $US, freight, customs brokerage and then GST.
While there are certainly some suppliers that are nothing but thieves, but the general supplier of firearm related products that have licensing costs etc on top of it all as well.
There is another thing down here, and this may offend, people tend to want to purchase a product from a remote supplier when they are in a bind for whatever reason and expect the supplier to have stock of what they want NOW and be as cheap as the major supplier in the city.
I can relate to it all as we are importers of thermal imaging products and have to deal with it all.
Sorry about the rant.
Just a point or 2, The price was $20 box dearer than the dealer 135 kls away, if
that's not ripping it up the public I don't know what is.
I cant buy ammo online/thru the post, can you.
We are talking NTH. QLD.
I buy where I can mostly my local shop. Not any more, I'll drive the extra 60kls to Townsville.
Geez that feels good to get that off my chest.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Sorry about the rant.
I have a friend with a gun shop ,I understand the low margins on gun gear especially ammo.
What I don't understand is the attitude towards some ones disappointment if what they want isn't there.
Goes into the why don't your guns have price tags on them box .
So few gun shops do .
Id rather buy a gun of some one that doesn't ask ' what do you want it for.
I went into one that had every tag turned so you couldn't read them ,I was in the mood to buy a gun but they never found that out.
Might be different in other places and I suspect it is ,but it is a shame that our gun shops don't make up for the ' can't touch a gun unless you show your licence law with bigger tags.

Rant over .
Cheers.

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
When I was in college, a few decades ago, the professor explained how the MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) on most goods was roughly 6 times the cost of materials. I remember being surprised and alarmed that there was so much of a mark-up on manufactured products, but none of that prepared me for the astonishing pricing on many things being sold, these days. I know there has always been a price versus demand curve, where if enough people want something bad enough, you can charge a lot for it, but I still find it unconscionable that some retailers will mark up their products as much as they do.

About 10 years ago, I was getting ready to take my oldest daughter on her first deer hunt in Indiana. She was going to be hunting with her grandpa's old Model 1892 in 44/40, so I went down to the LGS to pick up some ammo for her to practice with. A single box of 50 rounds was almost $75...and that was for "Cowboy" loads, so they weren't even appropriate for deer hunting! I did buy that one box, so she could shoot and get used to her gun. I searched around and discovered it was very hard to find full-throttle loads for that cartridge, and they were even more expensive! I was very thankful to be able to buy the dies and components to hand load my own rounds. These days, I load very mild "Cowboy" rounds for mere pennies a shot, and the stout hunting loads for not much more. That one cartridge has paid for the cost of all of my reloading equipment, because everybody loves to shoot a lever-gun! :)

The last comment I'll make is that sometimes pricing is driven by legislation, which is used to control and restrict our gun rights, indirectly. Not being political here, just stating a fact.

·
Registered
12 Posts
7.62x39 Ammo sale

Palmetto State Armory has brass cased 124 fmj's for $7.69/20 on occasion, today actually (20Feb2020), though now tapped out, but only good for us Yanks here
I have a bunch of once fired cases here in the US, but not sure what the law is for shipping inert reloading components across the pond

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks mate, Have plenty of shells.
I was just running low and decided to buy some to
use straight away, but went to the wrong shop.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Those are frightening high prices for ammunition!

-Are you able/allowed to reload your own cartridges?
-Are you allowed to purchase ammunition though mail?

·
Registered
19 Posts
60DBR,

Yes its allowed. Powder purchases need to be recorded.
To possess ammunition requires a permit. So once loaded, requires a document to state you can have it or a firearms licence.

Purchase through the mail is a “no”. You could do it but requires special transport requirement and is costly. Most if not all ammunition retailers at the moment do over the counter only.

Projectiles and empty cases through the mail/courier are ok.
Primers, powder and ammunition in store only.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Queensland' you need license and you need to sign over the counter, but that is for
Mines department records.
That's for powder.
Ammo need to sign with lic.
Ammo and powder is pick up only.
Other gear can be posted, cases,bullets.
Oh! for the return of the good old days when you could buy it all at the
local shop/hardware store.
It's supposed to be National firearm laws but every state in Australia
is different.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,869 Posts
What a hassle - sure hope it never gets as stringent here in the States. :eek:

·
Registered
328 Posts
I don't believe shooters here in the states would comply with rules like that.
Nobody knows how much of what I have or what equipment I have to make components.

Someone with a little knowledge can make a shotgun in his front room in less than an hour. Make it a black powder shotgun and you only need some cardboard wads coated lightly with Elmer's glue. A simple "match lock" will fire it and it can be as deadly as a new 12 gauge. In the same way you can make single shot handguns in 25, 35 and 44 caliber.
While these are not near "state of the art" handguns they are easy to conceal and deadly. With a little more time and some ingenuity you could rifle the barrels and make long guns. Every time you use one you can pick up a nice gun and ammunition for it. It would be a long bloody war but we've done that before. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It all happened because the States buckled in to the Federal Gov.All to do with money.
I see everybody wants a gun now but can't get one.
They've found out it's a pain and lots of red tape.We'll hopefully get some common sense here one day.
Anyway we'll go with the flow, still a lot unregistered out there don't worry.
The PTA rubbish is the worst bit.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I remember the 1996 Port Arthur murders were the trigger to the big changes for gun laws in Australia.

I was surprised at the sudden drastic changes to fire arms ownership there.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I remember the 1996 Port Arthur murders were the trigger to the big changes for gun laws in Australia.

I was surprised at the sudden drastic changes to fire arms ownership there.
There were reports out that the gun used was one that was handed in to the New South Wales police department and then sold at an auction in Tasmania.
The whole thing was fishy , documentaries were on tv discussion the suspicion that it was something other than a random shooting .
One of the main arguments for this was all the shots were apparently single shots to the head.
I Remember high up army personnel saying in the heat of the moment that should not of been possible unless the shooter was a very highly trained professional
They had other professional people saying the same,crime investors,forensic scientists and the like.

I have seen on utube videos that the impression of the gun buy back in Victoria Australia is that it reduced crimes .
That is such a crock .
There were threats of inquiries against the politicians for fiddling with numbers
I am pretty shore at that stage nobody who had a current gun license had been convicted of murder ,manslaughter,robbery or any of the serious crimes the buy back was supposed to of slowed down.
To my knowledge there is still no case we're a licensed gun owner has been convicted of any of these crimes.
The whole thing left a lot of questions and is the fuel behind a lot of properganda .

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Queensland' you need license and you need to sign over the counter, but that is for
Mines department records.
That's for powder.
Ammo need to sign with lic.
Ammo and powder is pick up only.
Other gear can be posted, cases,bullets.
Oh! for the return of the good old days when you could buy it all at the
local shop/hardware store.
It's supposed to be National firearm laws but every state in Australia
is different.
I was made to sighn a book once in n vic when I baught some reloading gear.
Biggest hassle was listening the load the person behind the counter spewed at me about how it is law.
It is the only time it happened and my shooting Budy who had a gun shop laughed at the stupid things the person said when I relayed the conversation.

A friend in New South Wales said he had never been questioned when he had bought Ammo ?

In vic ammo supplies come the jurisdictions of occupational Heath and safety same as explosives ammo storage is the same.

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts