Shooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Registered
1,220 Posts
One of my Dad's buddies has a heavily customized Ruger re-barreled to 35 X 39. Not sure if I got the numbering right. But it's the little Russian cartridge necked up to .358 caliber. He hunts some big northern Minnesota deer with it. It was not a cheap project but he loves that carbine!
TR

· Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
There is a 358X1.5 based on the great 308X1.5 developed by Frank Barnes. These may be made by simply necking up the 7BR.

The 358X1.5 is actually a powerful cartridge capable of developing over 2500 FPE with a 180 gr Speer at 2525 fps or a 200 gr Hornady at 2400 fps.

· Registered
59 Posts
I have a 270x39 improved reamer and have chambered I rifle for it. It is a Mini Mauser that was in 7.62x39. I rebarreled and restocked it for a grandson. It is a very accurate cartridge and the recoil is great for a young kid. I use Hornady 100 Gr. Spirepoints. Butch

· Registered
11 Posts
Specs for sabots

You have my attention on "having an injection molding company make sabots". Can you share some specs eg do you have to lock the sabot and bullet together some way?, what plastic? I assume the shape has to be specified for each bullet. Do you use a multi-piece sabot? I picture something like 6mm to 7mm from my 30-30.

wilsondoc
[email protected]

· Banned
395 Posts
7.62x39mm By PACO

Someone mentioned the articles by Paco about the 7.62x39. Here's all the articles for anyone that's interested. Good reading and worth saving the pages to a file for future reference.

Part One:

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/762x39.htm

Part Two:

http://www.sixgunner.com/archive/paco/762x39.htm

Part Three:

http://www.gunblast.com/Paco_CZ527.htm

I think I'll wait 'til CZ can get the little 527 rifle chambered in the new Remington 6.8mm SPC. My guess is Remington will be offering this new round in different diameters - like a whole new family of cartridges from 6mm to 7.62...

GOOD LUCK! ;)

· Registered
1 Posts
One hole shooter

It is nice see someone else has done some work with this cartridge. I did this back in 87 and made a true one hole shooter. On a saturday morning in still air, I put the first four rounds through the same hole. The fifth was a bad trigger, and I knew it as soon as the gun went off. ihad pulled it to the left(Left handed) about half the diameter of the 308 bullet. I am not healthy enough now to keep that type of shooting up, so I am putting it up for sale. I still have that target, but over the years the hole has become larger. I used a 35 degree shoulder and fire-formed the brass. Once formed I would turn the case neck and seat the bullet so it engaged the lands. 125 gr spun hollow point custom bullets, and a 26" barrel (Heavy).

· Inactive
437 Posts
My 9X39 (357X39) J.A.G. uses a .440 shoulder and a 30 degree shoulder angle with a .223 neck length and it screams with 140 grain bullets. JGS Precision helped me to develope this round and they should have other 7.62X39 Wildcats availlable in their Custom Reamers line to assist you with. The 7.62X39 is an easy cartridge to improve with only minor touches!

· Registered
5 Posts
In the early 80's Silhouette Shooters developed the 30-39. As of late, I shoot the 32-20 (30-20) up loaded in my TC 1-9 twist 14" brl. Of course the Idea being,... shooting a 40 round match standing. The 150 to 200 Gr bullets lobbed down range will knock down the 62 lb Ram (226 yards)

· Inactive account
4 Posts
Ive resurected this old thread, looks loader has moved on.
I would really to try the sabot idea with 50 or 55grn bullets in my CZ carbine. I have'nt used sabots before and would be grateful for any advise on what to select for the .310" bore on the CZ

Thanks
johno99

· Banned
4,936 Posts
Ive resurrected this old thread; looks loader has moved on.
I would really to try the sabot idea with 50 or 55grn bullets in my CZ carbine. I haven't used sabots before and would be grateful for any advice on what to select for the .310" bore on the CZ

Thanks
johno99
I bought a 500-count bag of them back in 2004. I think they were about forty bucks. The idea was to shoot them out of a 300WSM and see how fast they'd go. You need a special seating tool to get them into .30-caliber cases. I wonder if I still have them. I do not remember throwing them out. I seriously doubt the ones I have were made to fit .310-caliber rifles. They'd just slide through the bore and maybe not even engage the riflings well enough to stabilize the bullet. You might be looking for something that doesn't exist...

Maybe look at this: http://www.jdcomponents.com/loadinfo/loadinfo.html

· Inactive account
4 Posts
I wish loader was stillmon board here, after re reading his initial post, perhaps he was using a .308" barrel for the 55grn sabots.

I think you are correct that the 308" dia sabots may not not work in the .310" barrel. Bit of a shame they are not available, just adds a little more to a good bolt action x 39. Using hornady 123grn SSTs, lapua brass, i'm getting consistant 3 shot one hole groups. Its a fun little round

johno99

· Registered
45 Posts
I have a single shot 7.62x39 that has a rough chamber around the Shoulder region and soon as I save the Pennies will have my preferred Gunsmith run a PPC Reamer into it. I had pondered this before I discovered this thread, good to read others have had favourable results

regards Jacko

· Inactive account
4 Posts
I found a post on an improved version some time back, very simple idea of running a 6mm PPC reamer, 0.150" deeper with a 30 cal pilot. Gives the PPC shape, but still keeps the original neck length.

I think a very much over looked cartridge in a good bolt action

johno99

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.