Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of these 2 rounds, which do you like better and why? Just a fun survey. Me personally, i like them both, but like the extra power of the much heavier 7.62x39, just my opinion :)

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have both as well, one on the AR platform and the other an AK. I have used them hunting and the Russian round is better for deer. My AR tends to shoot a bit more accurately but I can't shoot either to their potential. My favorite is my .308 Saiga conversion back to AK standards, its a shooter and has full .308 power. but as to your original question I like the 7.62x39.

·
Super Moderator
3,788 Posts
It depends what you prefer

I have both and really like them. I lean toward the .223 because I have it in ARs and they are more accurate then my SKS and AK rifles. I like the 7.62X39mm and would like it more in an accurate rifle. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have a Colt AR in .223 but I do favor and wish my Colt was 7.62x39, yeah I know but the 7.62 is a destructive round for sure.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
I would use the 7.62 X 39 m/m for hunting Deer, but would restrict (if I owned) a .223 to only Varmints.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Guess it would depend on what they would be used for.
the 2 rounds are used for killing humans, while the Vietnamese were getting 1/4" holes punched in them the Americans were loosing limbs, the 7.62 is much more devastating than the .223.

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
the 2 rounds are used for killing humans, while the Vietnamese were getting 1/4" holes punched in them the Americans were loosing limbs, the 7.62 is much more devastating than the .223.
Let's hope that isn't the objective the OP is looking to achieve? :)

From a sporting perspective, they both have mild kick and report, with the 7.62x39 often chambered in rifles of questionable accuracy. The 223 is likely to be a little more accurate and more capable as a varmint rifle. The 7.62x39 is a marginal cartridge for deer and other small to medium, thin-skinned game. (Note: I didn't say it's inadequate, but marginal!)

They are both fun for plinking and are suitable for home defense scenarios. If you reload, or suspect you ever might, the 223 is much more economical because of how easy it is to locate cheap brass. The 7.62x39 is harder to find reloadable brass for and bullets aren't nearly as easy to source as 223. Also, in an "end-of-days" type of scenario, 223/5.56 ammo will be easier to find, unless you're outside the US.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I like the 7.62X39 for the knock down power. Am fairly accurate with my SKS. Still like shooting my Mini 14, but the 7.62x39mm is cheaper to buy.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My first rifle was a an SKS, But I soon learned for coyotes here in the flatlands of Illinois that the 7.62x39 has quite a bit of energy left when ricochetting across frozen ground. I switched to the 223 many years ago for coyotes and it's a better fit for me.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I had a SKS Paratrooper model that took AK magazines and I sold it and settled on a DPMS Sportical AR and I have a Ruger Mini-14 so I guess I chose the 223.

·
Registered
255 Posts
With a 50-62 gr TSX or TTSX bullet the 223/5.56 works every bit as good on deer and caribou size game as the 7.62×39 . And it has much better range. I've seen a number of deer killed with the standard 55 gr fmjbt ammo and they all died. The AR tends to be a much more accurate rifle and is easier to modify for accurate shooting. Better triggers ect. Much better scope mounting. For the same weight of ammo, twice as much 223 can be carried as 7.62×39 . That's why the Communist nations that issue the AK have gone to the 22×39 for their troops.
Only hits count and hitting is much easier with the 223/5.56. Especially considering in a survival situation you won't be primarily big game hunting. If you have to kill meat you will be using snares,traps ect. If you have to shoot you want to be able to put a good bullet exactly where it needs to go.
An AR with a bunch of mags loaded with 50-62 gr TSX or TTSX or GS HV bullets with a velocity around 3,000 fps or more is a truly useful tool. With a quality 1-4 or higher power top end scope with an illuminated reticle will accomplish much more than a light bulleted 30-30 .

·
Registered
255 Posts
In a survival situation. Do you want an iron sighted auto loading 30/30 that isn't very accurate or a scope sighted 223 that you can put your bullet precisely where its needed. Considering you may need to kill a coyote at 300 yards. A rabbit at 100 yards or pop the head off a grouse or turkey at some closer distance. What you can kill is what you get to eat. Probably nothing more and food and fur makes GREAT TRADING STOCK.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Bought a new Zestava Minimauser in 7.62X39 and it shot great. I can't leave well enough alone and rechambered it 270X39AI and restocked it. It was just great as a young person's deer rifle. It was very accurate and just about no recoil. Actually you could have called it a 270PPC. OK, I couldn't leave it alone and started over. It is now in 220 Russian. This cartridge is the parent case for the PPC. I did a little metal work on the receiver and rechambered it. I had another stock carved for it. I need to install a scope on it and give it a workout.

All of the cartridges used had the same bolt face. I really like the 7.62X39 and if I do another in Ackley improved with a 308 bore barrel. Some close to world record groups have been set with this cartridge. 118 Grain bullets at 3050FPS.

·
Registered
111 Posts

Truth be known, the 7.62x39 is about as powerful as a 30-30 Win. The projectiles are somewhat more slippery in the former but otherwise the two rounds fall within roughly the same power band. Neither would be considered particularly powerful when compared with something like a .308 Win or a 30-06. The word 'adequate' comes to mind.

A .223 projectile may be smaller and lighter than the 7.62 mm, but it will be travelling considerably faster. If a bone happens to get in the way of one of those projectiles as it passes through your arm, expect to have something more than a 1/4" hole to talk about, In all probability, what's left of your arm will be hanging by a thread.

There would be nothing even slightly amusing about being hit be either round.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have killed several deer with my SKS. Never found it to be inadequate. I hunt where a fifty yard shot would be pretty far. I've never shot one that far. Oh yeah, I use that cheap Russian surplus hollow point ammunition. I have several other rifles but prefer the SKS.

·
Registered
7 Posts
To qualify my answer, I have considerable experience with both the 5.56 and 7.62X39. I have eliminated the 5.56 from inventory and now have a DPMS AR in 7.62X39 and a CZ mini Mauser chambered for an improved version of the 7.62 cut with reamers that I specified. (Basically the classic Ackley changes). The AR is accurate and entirely adequate for deer here in the Northeast using handloads up to 150gr bullet wieght. Shoots .308 150gr 30/30 bullets quite well - more than good enough for hunting. The CZ handles anything .308 or .310 just fine in bullet weights up to 170 gr. By the way, I chronograph every thing and the AR pretty much matches a 30/30 and the CZ beats that by 100 - 150fps with no pressure problems. Bottom line - I consider the 7.62X39 to be by far the better, more flexible and useful cartridge.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have 3 - .223 / 5.56 and 1 - 7.62x 39. Both are in AR configurations. While the 7.62x39 is "close" to a 30-30....it is not a 30-30. Mine use 125gr Nosler BT's. I had my 7.62x39 made with a .308 bore so any of the 100 - 150 gr bullets work just fine. Like a lot of .308 (not .311) bore 7.62x39's it works just fine with the .310 / .311 bullets with NO indication of pressure issues. I've put 100's and 100's of both down the tube without any issues. I'll be using it for 3-gun events this spring.

When I use the 7.62x39 for hunting I limit it to Blacktails on the OR coast. They run about 100 pounds or so. My .223 ONLY gets used in 3-gun and varmint hunting. I know that lots of us have used a .223 for deer hunting but I just don't think it is ethical. When hunting Mule Deer the little 7.62x39 that I like so much sits in the safe. Just for kicks I'll be using it on tomorrows coyote hunt.

Just my 2-cents, Bill in OR

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have both a 7.62x39 upper and various .5.56/.223 uppers for my AR platform. The only loads I now use in my 7.62 are sub-sonic 147-220gr projectiles. Super accurate out to 175 yds and a ton of energy expended in the body cavity while tumbling around in there. I have shot sub MOA at 100 yds with 6.2 of Red Dot with enlarged primer holes, large primers, and 174 gr pulled military 174 gr bullets loaded backwards.
Best of all........no recoil and noise comparable to a 22LR. A ton of fun to shoot and cheap!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts