Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Inactive for over a decade
1,398 Posts
White tail deer using bullets in the 125 grain area. I've used Nosler 125 gr BT in the past with satisfactory results. This year I had less than steller performance with them in several different chamberings. When I switched to regular soft point bullets was able to harvest numberous deer from four different chamberings.

·
Registered
Have owned and shot over 2500 different firearms including Blackpowder, Antiques, & Modern.
171 Posts
Anything bigger than whitetail?
Power level of the 7.62x39 is similar to the 30-30 Winchester, so any game that can be killed humanely with the 30-30 can be killed with the 7.62 x 39 IMHO.

·
Inactive for over a decade
1,398 Posts
That's about the only game in my area other than antelope which could be taken provided you got close. As Big Z said its basically white tail deer and down in game size. 30-30, 30 Herritt and 7.62x39 are all ballastically identical rounds. My longest white tail deer kill was with a 30 Herritt several years ago using 125 grain Nosler BT.

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
The one caveat when comparing the 7.62x39 and 30/30 is that as the bullet weight goes up, the 30/30 does not lose as much, due to its larger case capacity. (Roughly 10gr of water) With lighter bullets, the higher working pressure of the 7.62x39 compensates for the smaller case capacity, but if both were loaded with 160gr FTX bullets, the 30/30 would have a noticeable advantage.

For hunting whitetail deer, the 7.62x39 with bullets weighing ~125gr is perfectly adequate out to perhaps 150 yards.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
I use to own a Ruger Model 77 MKII in 7.62X39 m/m and reloaded my ammo using IMR-4198 (23.5 grs.) and a 150 grain .30-30 silvertip (old type) and have killed deer up to 100 yards, with careful bullet pplacement. Velocity, in my rifle, was around 2,200 FPS compaired to 2,400 FPS in a normal .30-30 rifle.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Seen a few after maths of poachers using AK47s on elephant and rhino in Africa. They keep shooting til its down than steal the ivory/horn and leave the rest of the animal.:mad: However, for sporting use I'll limit myself to whitetail/impala sized anamils with my SKS.

CD

·
Registered
242 Posts
Best suited for deer. I have a Remington 799 in 7.62x39. With Prvi Partizan 123gr SP ammo I get MOA accuracy at 100yds. :cool:

I suppose it could be used for larger game, but that would be a stunt. :mad:

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
That's a pretty little gun and the action length would be PERFECT for those of us in states with pistol-chambered rifle regulations on deer rifles. One of the options, in fact, is a 7.62x39 case, necked up to 35 caliber...known as a 358 Gremlin, among other things. Somewhat popular on the AR platform, from what I understand. I would much prefer to shoot one out of a classic bolt-action gun, like the one shown above.

·
Banned
17 Posts
Power level of the 7.62x39 is similar to the 30-30 Winchester, so any game that can be killed humanely with the 30-30 can be killed with the 7.62 x 39 IMHO.
I agree completely. The 7.62x39 is just a handy 30-30 in a bolt rifle. The 799 as mentioned is a great option.

·
Banned
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a home brew SKS scout with a 16in barrel and scout mount the problem is that the mount is to short to mount anything besides red dots and the eotec and aimpoint i tried on it are too high i need a micro dot of micro reflex.

·
Banned
145 Posts
When I first started my 7.62x39 small ring Mauser project surplus ammo was cheap, after moving a time or two and two three years go by, and I finally finished it, surplus ammo was NOT cheap any more. Any way no big deal I reload any way, and am using 150 grn bullets. It's a blast to shoot and I had a lot of fun with it in the mean time. I did manage to take two deer with it at just under 100 yards, the bullet did it's job, how ever I don't think I'd want to try taking deer at over 150 yards with it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I shot a 260lb hog last year using a Wolf 154gr soft point. In through the neck, out behind the shoulder on the opposite side leaving a baseball size hole. Hog dropped within 1/2 of a step. I will be using that round again on this years pig shoot.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.