Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone got some experience with Mosin-Nagant 7,62x54R loads using Lee's cast bullet #90385 (C312-155-2R)?
I want to build a nice plinker load with that bullet and some fast burning powder (Red Dot or Blue dot).
Any advice?
PP. :)

·
Banned
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
7,62x54R

Chief RID said:
I have tried a lot of stuff, all jacketed, in my M44 with less than acceptable results. I would love to hear how it goes with the lead. My barrel is real rough and I know it would lead badly. My best groups so far have been with the surplus stuff. I have even tried the 303 british bulets without sucsess. After seanon we need to do some work on these things. Have you got a Darrels Mount yet?

I've got Blue Dot, Universal and Green dot sitting around.
I do not intend to put a scope mount on my M-91 Finnish Mosin as it is in very collectible shape, but nevertheless, with that 31 1/2" barrel, one has enough sighting plane to do some effective target work at 100-200 yards.
Did you try cleaning your barrel with the Outer's Foul-Out unit? It does wonders.Alternated sessions with J&B or Iosso bore paste should do the trick unless the barrel is a complete loss.
M-44 tend to have rather largish bores like .312". If you cast bullets you could get by with it by having a slightly oversize mold made. But first, have your barrel slugged to determine the exact bore.
Speaking of .303 bullets, did you happen to use the Hornady's 174gr. FMJBT #3131? They are a little undersized at .3105" and may not go along well with the M-44 bore.
My Mosin's is .3095 so they fit a bit tight and give great results.
I'm looking at a plinker load giving around 1900-2000 fps with a bullet in the 160-180gr. range.
Ed Harris lists a load for about any rifle using Lee's .312-155-2R and TL .312-160-2R designs seated atop 13 gr. of Red Dot, 12 gr. of 700-X, 16 gr. of 2400 or 20 gr. of 4227. He casts a mix of 1 part linotype to 5 parts of wheelweights and quenches directly from the mould if he wants to exceed 1800 fps. He fills the grease grooves with Lee Brand Alox and then gives them a tumble lubing in Lee's liquid Alox.
He shoots them unsized. If you have access to a sizer-luber, try a .313 die to grease them without touching size.
That way you could have bullets that fit your M-44 just nice.
Good luck!
:) PP.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts