Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am handloading for a 7mm Rem mag. using Rem. brass, Federal 215 magnum primers, Reloader 22 and Sierra 168 grain HPBT Match bullets. I am seating the bullets 10/1000ths off the lands, which is a COL of 3.305" in my gun, and neck sizing only. The best 5 shot 100 yd. group which I have been able to achieve is 0.68" and I feel the gun should do better. The gun is a Remington 700 synthetic with a 24" hunting weight barrel. Any suggestions as to different components/techniques which might help to shrink the group sizes?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,453 Posts
That's really not too bad for an off-the-shelf hunting gun.

One thing to consider, do you have a concentricity gage (ie RCBS Case Master) or any way to check neck & bullet run-out?

Also how's the trigger, must have good trigger to shoot small groups. Assume you have a suitable scope.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,163 Posts
It's going to be difficult to beat that consistently without specialized equipment. What are you using the rifle for? Is it just for target shooting, or is it a hunting rifle, too? You might consider a scope with an adjustable objective lens if you haven't already done so, since paralax can cause that much variation at 100 yds even with a good scope (if it doesn't have the A.O.).

Personally, I've killed groundhogs 400 yds away with a rifle that didn't shoot that well, so I'd have to consider why I wanted a rifle to shoot better than that before I sunk much more into it. I'm kind of a practical guy (read $poor$:) ) so I have to get a result that is useful in the field before I go to great lengths or plunk down cash.

Anyway, tell us more! An off-the-shelf 7 mag that shoots that well is interesting in itself!

IDShooter

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,453 Posts
Along those lines, one range I shoot at has target stands at 150 yards. No idea why, that's kind of an odd distance.

But.... I noticed that my 150 yard groups are no worse than my 100 yard groups. I suspect that parallax is the answer, most big game scopes are set to be parallax free at 150 yards.

Hey ID, read your PMs lately?

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, Gents:
IIRC, Gun Digest had an article years ago about Remington 40X accuracy. They had trouble getting a 7mm RM to stay under an inch at 100 yards.

A big front sight that I can see well enough in the scope helps me line up the same way for each shot and avoid parallax.

The benchresters are quite familar with their groups improving at longer ranges, in term of minute of angle. They say the bullet "goes to sleep" as it stabilizes from wobbles caused when it leaves the muzzle. Check out this site for a post grad course on external ballistics.
http://www.nennstiel-ruprecht.de/bullfly/

Bye
Jack

·
Banned
548 Posts
A few ideas:

1. Test for paralax by moving your head around to see if the point of aim moves on the target. If you wear refractive eye glasses, try the same thing by moving only your glasses.
2. Try R19 and H870 or AA8700.
3. Neck size with a mandrel.
4. Lap the bolt lugs.
5. Crown the muzzle.

Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts