Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ordered a new barrel for my 7 rem mag. It is a remage conversion. I’m looking for some go/no-go gauges that would headspace off of the shoulder. All I have found so far are for the belted magnum cartridge family and use the belt. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I'd set the barrel with headspace of the belt gage (same as 300 win mag gage). then when you reload neck size only and the shells wwill be headspaced on the shoulder.

If you don't headspace the barrel off the belt; you souldn't be shooting factoru, mght not even let action close depending upon where you headspace the barrel.

·
Premium Member
14,239 Posts
First off, you don't need a No-Go gauge unless you just want to spend money. Add masking tape to the back of a GO .003 at a time to measure excess HS.

IF you're going mark it 7mm Mag, the HS should be .220 and not over .223. Harry got it right, fireform and then do nothing but neck size and you have zero excess HS.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,092 Posts
There's no such thing. By definition, belted magnums headspace... you guessed it... on the belt.

If someone were to come up with one that could be used to set the shoulder position on a belted magnum - then it isn't a headspace gage anymore. It would be a gage, but not for headspace, and just someone's idea of what the shoulder position "ought" to be.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you sirs for the information. That’s about what I had figured from reading on other places but thought I would get your opinions and maybe some more information. I appreciate it very much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts