Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's one for you...900 gr.-.705 bullet-95 grs IMR 3031.
The case holds 232.45 grs of water. What is it?
Best Regards From The Hammock.....James

·
Registered
194 Posts
James,

The 70-150 Winchester is based on a brass 12 gauge shell necked down to accept the .705 bullet. Projectiles weighed 600 to 900 grains. The only gun chambered for it was an 1887 shotgun with a rifled barrel and was never produced on a commercial basis. My source says the case would hold about 150 grains of powder, your number may be more accurate. Muzzle velocites are listed at an estimated 1300 to 1500 fps depending on bullet weight.

Sounds like fun to me. That 1887 sure would command a premium to a collector if its still around.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You Got It, MT!...The finished product was supposed to be made up as the a rifle version of the 1901. Cartridge Boards were put out with it included, however after testing the gun never went into production, The prototypes had a reinforced barrel for smokeless powder, as did production 10 ga shotguns ( 1901-1920 @ 65,000 unita) and the blued heavy receiver. There was one or two prototype in the vault at Winchester, New Haven at one time. I have the case dimensions. Can you imagine the recoil on that thing. Although it had a blackpowder second number (150), plans where to load it with smokeless bulk powder.
Pierangalo Pedersoli told me he was going to furnish a set of double .72 rifle barrels, regulated @ 60 meters, for the 10 ga DeLux like I have. That will be something!
Best Regards From The Hammock....James

·
Registered
59 Posts
As an avid cartidge collector and shooter, I'm always on the lookout for something new. The only reference I have found to the 70-150 was on the 1888 Winchester cartridge board. I currently have about 420 different calibers of cartridges in my collection from 2.7mm Kolibri to 4-bore rifle. The 70-150 sure would be a great find but I'm not holding my breath!
                                                      Dave
P.S. Anybody have a .577-.500 570gr full nitro load?

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave...Sounds like you have developed a wonderful collection..As for the .70-150 Win...I don't think any cartridges went anywhere...Dr Hall said it was tested two or three times. What is even stranger is, what killed it was the upcoming 1893 pump gun. I even think the ones on the cartridge board were make ups. For disply purpose only..I have the dimensions of the original...If anyone knows more about this, it would be Mr. Jerry Lambert of Winchester. Jerry lived in St. Charles, Missouri. He may have retired by now.
Best Regards from The Hammock.....James

·
Registered
2 Posts
70/150 Winchester

I get mad from this fun!
I'm a Pedersoli Sales Rep. here in Germany and we are manufacturing Cowboy Action Ammo overhere!
I go around always thinking on this special project but I need further information!
Cartridge length and so on!
What Winchester used for the gun$ 10 Gauge actions? Do they have other dimensions
then the 12 guge?
A special thanks to all informations I can get!:)

·
Registered
219 Posts
It would have been harder to guess the cartridge if the thread wasnt titled ".70-150 Winchester" lol. But anyways, I have found a cartridge board dummy round of the .70-150, too bad its going for around $1,800!!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I have one of these rounds. It is a modern made round from a brass shotgun shell. Bought it from ebay several years ago for $20.00 I think.

I have dreams of rebarreling a Savage bolt shotgun some day for this.

PM me and I will send a picture of to any who want it.

Don

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
As an avid cartidge collector and shooter, I'm always on the lookout for something new. The only reference I have found to the 70-150 was on the 1888 Winchester cartridge board. I currently have about 420 different calibers of cartridges in my collection from 2.7mm Kolibri to 4-bore rifle. The 70-150 sure would be a great find but I'm not holding my breath!
                                                      Dave
P.S. Anybody have a .577-.500 570gr full nitro load?
In my cartridge collection, I do have a .70-150 Winchester cartridge, that I bought years ago. Also have a number of "odd" cartridges like 6 m/m shot shell (paper) up to the 2 gauge PUNT.

·
Registered
2 Posts
winchester 70-150

In my cartridge collection, I do have a .70-150 Winchester cartridge, that I bought years ago. Also have a number of "odd" cartridges like 6 m/m shot shell (paper) up to the 2 gauge PUNT.
Do you know of anyone needing an ORIGINAL one of these cartridges? Thanks, Ernie.

·
Registered
2 Posts
winchester 70-150

It would have been harder to guess the cartridge if the thread wasnt titled ".70-150 Winchester" lol. But anyways, I have found a cartridge board dummy round of the .70-150, too bad its going for around $1,800!!
I have a original winchester 70-150 cartridge that came off of a cartridge board. Anyone need one?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts