Shooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I read the post on the .70-150 Winchester. Quite an interesting round. In my experience people like to read about big, powerful cartridges so here's one not too many know about (I think). The .750 Nitro Express is the creation of the Imperial Russian Armory in Houston, Texas. It uses a 3.5" case and a true .750" bullet weighing 1300 grains. It has been tested to 2200 fps and that would make the muzzle energy 13975 foot pounds. Taylor knockout value is a whopping 306! Recoil has been described by the originator as beyond the limits of the human body. Here's a pic of the .750, shown with a .35 Whelen and a .460 Weatherby for scale.  

Dave Saye

·
Registered
192 Posts
Dave,

I've volunteered many times to shoot various big bore rifles for the guys with the money to buy but who feel intimidated by recoil. So far nobodys bellied up to the bar and bought a 577 or 600 for me to shoot. I'll go on record here stating there's no way I'm gettin' behind that bad boy. No way!

Is that a Barnes solid bullet?

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Ouch!

Made for shooting threatening asteroids?  I wonder!

Thanks for the interesting post and pic.

Marshall

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bullets for the .750 were indeed made by Barnes. I believe less than 5 of these cartridges are in circulation. It took a whole lot of persuasion to convince the owner of the rifle to sell me a round. I won't say what I paid for it but I've been offered 1500 dollars by another collector. I just can't turn loose of it right now. By the way, the rifle (a double which I haven't seen) also has a matching set of 8 gauge shotgun barrels.
                                              Dave Saye

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Dave,
I'm new to this forum, so far it looks llike a cool site. Anyway, the reason for this reply is to say that I copied some of your info on the .750, and posted it on another forum. I hope you don't mind, but we had a thread going on about the biggest of the big bores and I thought those fellas might like to see what you posted here.

Thanks,
J.W.

·
Registered
305 Posts
My Word!!!

Now I really like big bore rifles, and adore double barreled ones especially. But I would not touch one of these off, no way. I like my low pressure black powder big bores thanks!

·
Banned
15 Posts
ok my family has hit cape buffalo in SA, using 404 jefferies, 495 A square, and mum has some 450 or other now, my father uses a 460 i believe soooo......out of interest what is that 750 for?

anything u want i guess!!??!!

ps i will have a go of it, been put on my *** a few times by big rifles, gettin used to it now...

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
maybe it was designed as a surgical device, a shoulder dislocater

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ideal for home defense

Actually, that cartridge is ideal for the Pacific's most Dangerous game, namely, Orcas and Sperm Whale. I'm interested to find out what load is in that bad boy. I'm new to the rifle thing but I've seen published muzzle energy data for .50 cal BMG ball ammo being around 12500. Most manufacturers of the .50 cal BMG rifles use heavy compensators and muzzle brakes to give their rifles the felt recoil similar to a 12 ga shotgun. Wouldn't it be possible to design a similar gun for that cartridge so it would be possible to shoulder without the risk of serious injury?

·
Banned
432 Posts
Not sure if the same would apply to a double or single rifle. A 50BMG usually has a huge compensator as mentioned, but they also weight 15-20bls and are shot typically laying down. Am African safari rifle is meant to be light and easily carried, and quick to draw. Yes rilfe platforms could be built to chamber this round in a heavier gun, but then this detracts the intended usage of the cartridge.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I can think of a use for it. The destrustion of the lovable, tail-wagging, electronic deer the our game wardens like to hide. Spot one and call in the artillery, literally. Just be sure your legal when you pop that bad boy off, with a rifle of that size, spotters could be employed for firing out of los at the critters... Though it might be a liability cause it could catch the grass on fire fromn the muzzle blast

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Maybe if you build it up like a 50BMG, and put weels on the end of a bipod you could have a managable firearm

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,987 Posts
Cartridge46 -

As you can see, this dredged up thread is over 11 years old. You have already posted in the Cartridge Collector forum for this cartridge. This is a double post. Please do not double post on the board.

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
Gents I once got a wild hair to have a 550 Magnum made by a great gunsmith out West. The rifle would weigh in at close to 11.5 pounds and the recoil was far beyond the recoil ability of my .375-Wby. :)

Now after reading up on this "recoil" business to the human torso, I simply changed my mind. Then I ran across a great deal on a .500 Jeffery's and took it home with me. It delivers some 8,000 plus pounds of kinetic energy and it not light on recoil by any means. :eek::(:(

No fun shooting those 650 grain bullets at MAX but not bad shooting the lighter loads. I wear a Past Recoil Pad when pulling the trigger, as I value my health to much not to do so. I cannot imagine anyone being able to shoot that 750 on a hunting trip.:eek: :confused:

·
Registered
302 Posts
I sure would like to watch someone shoot it 4 or 5 times at some steel targets.
My 416 rigby . Was big enuf. For me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts