Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what kind of velocity gains could one expect over the standard version of this round using 140-150 gr bullets? the 7mm bore seems to make more sense than the 6.5's in as much as the pressures are a little bit lower and you are not getting into the "custom" dies from the various mfg.'s, not to mention the added bullet weight if so desired.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,915 Posts
The Ackley Improved (40 deg) version for any cartridge generally results in approximately 04% gain in case capacity and velocity.

The best thing about improving a case is the straighter case walls resulting in less bolt thrust, a better chamber alighnment and headspacing. Most Improved shooters will also neck size only after fireforming and gain additional use of brass per reloads.

Don't knock the 6.5's - I have both a 6.5x.257 Robt's AI and a 6.5-06. They do very well on medium sized animals. Must admit I use 7mm Rem Mag and 7mm Dakota for larger.

Be advised, your 7-08 AI will still require special custom dies. RCBS offers them in their line, but at a higher cost than regular rifle dies.

·
Banned
91 Posts
284Win is a Winner

I would say you will still fall short of the ballistics of the deadly 284Win.

140gr Spire 3100fps-2986fpe,Conley
160gr Sierra SPBT 2885fps-2955fpe,Hodgdon
175gr Speer Grand Slam 2700fps-2832fpe,Conley

1 - 4 of 4 Posts