Shooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking around(yes I used the search function) for some 7mm-08 loads. I shoot a rem model 7 7mm-08 with a 20" barrel and use it for my all around hunting rifle. I have always shot factory loads but since im purchasing a new scope to replace my cheaper tasco(6-18x42 varmit thats been on it for years) and currently reload all my own pistol stuff on a dillon and have a rockchucker and single stage dillon sitting here that i want to use for my rifle I figured why not. I have plenty of brass and CCI LR primers and have IMR 4350, 4895 and 3031 poweders currently. If these fit into any loads cool! I generally shoot nozzler partition rounds but since reloading i might try the tipped nozzlers or the barnes tipped bullets. Like I said I use this gun for everything(pig, deer and elk) and would like one load so I dont have to sight in for different rounds. I shoot 140gr bullets currently and have worked well for deer and elk. Let me know if im on the right track and what kinda loads to look into. Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have the same rifle in stainless and all weather stock. I shoot 140 gn Sierra Gamekings for Pennsylvania Whitetail Deer. I have tried IMR 4350 and Varget but got the best results from H414 with 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards. I read that H414 was the same as W760. H414 meters very well and burns clean. I also shoot 100 gn hollow points at ground hogs in the fall for deer season practice.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
where to find out bullet specs? On the websites Ive been looking at the mfg doesnt say length or anything like that. I've been looking over a bunch of ballistics stuff and am trying to find out this stuff before I aimlessly buy and try kinda thing. I'd love to buy and try but dont want tons of bullets and powder I wont use once I find something good. I guess I am looking to start with an educated guess and go from there.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,116 Posts
It's going to shoot any common 7mm bullet just fine, I predict. Don't sweat it, just get some standard bullets and get to loading.... you need to find out what it likes, anyway.

Start with something inexpensive, standard bullets from Sierra, Speer, Hornady, Remington, etc., etc., etc. Need to get your feet wet reloading and will likely try a few things before settling on "the" load.

Good luck.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I agree w/ MikeG.

I have a 7-08, and if its not the best all around TX round, you cant convince me.... I shoot 140gr Sierra Boattails. They are cheap, fly great, and keep putting meat on the ground. If I were going on an elk trip, I'd probably see how those Barnes bullets shot in it for extra penetration, but for ALL other purposes, I'd shoot good old cheap Sierras and be happy with it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ill probably buy the nozzler or barnes tsx and load 5 of each with the imr 4895 and 4350 at different powder charges to see what 4 different groups look like then start playing with the h414 if I can find it locally. but yes need to get the new scope on and shoot some factory core loks and then start the relaoding. I have done plenty of pistol stuff so I imagine the riffle wont be a whole lot different but trying to put more brains into the riffle stuff.

·
Banned
397 Posts
My grandson shot a bear in Pa. first day of bear season. He
used a 140 Nosler Ballistic Tip with Hodgdon Varget. In his
7MM/08. Model 700 Remington youth model rifle.

Zeke

·
Registered
930 Posts
I don't have experience with the 7mm-08, but I load 308 WIN, 260 REM, and 243 WIN. All will shoot IMR 4350 just fine, so I haven't tried many other powders. The 308 sometimes gets H335, and I;m trying a reduced 243 load of H4895 for the kids' rifle.

For bullets I like Hornady PSP 140 in the 260. The 308 gets Nosler Ballitic Tip 150s. I load both NBT and Sierra Gameking boattails in my 270 WIN, and the two are for all intents identical in accuracy and trajectory in my gun. I think for deer any of the bullets mentioned by folks above will work fine. I agree that for elk I'd shoot Partitions or Barnes.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I bet you will find that the IMR4895 will do very well. I might try some remington primers, or possibly winchester with it as well, but the CCI should do pretty good.

Good shooting,
Gary

·
Registered
263 Posts
This year I dropped a 200 lb - 8 point White Tail. He dropped like a brick. I used H414 with a "cheap - not my word for it" Sierra 140 gn Game King. My 7-08 does just fine. Any medium burning powder - 4350, Varget, or my choice H414 will do the job. The Model 7 is not a bench rest rifle. But it put meat on the table this year. The 308 family all do a good job of providing. My suggestion - start with Sierra and your 4350 and you will be happy.

·
Super Moderator
13,643 Posts
Using QuickLOAD, I've taken to running a range of peak pressure limits to see which powders consistently do best in terms of maximum velocity produced? In this case, whether with a Sierra SPBT or an expensive Nosler CT, both at 140 grains, Alliant Reloader 17, which is a relatively newer powder, consistently produced maximum velocity. Ramshot Hunter kept second place, though it was quite compressed at maximum peak pressure, H414/760 followed it, also very compressed. Reloader 17 and IMR4895 were the two best among those not needing to be compressed. There was only 38 fps difference, though, out of nearly 2800 fps. YMMV.

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
Interesting thread.

I'm on my third 7-08 since the M7 was introduced, whenever that was. My second was a M70 compact, and I now have a M700 Stainless Laminated, that recently received a new Timney.

I shot a few different bullets out of the first two, including 110 Hornady SP's, Speer 130gr Spitzers, 139/140gr Hornady and Sierra's and 154gr Hornady RN/SP designs. Like the first two, the M700 seems to like anything it's fed. All three shot/shoot the best with W760/H-414, and turn in the best velocity with same. All three would consistantly do 3/5 shots in an inch or so from a rest @ 100yds. H4895 also worked quite well, along with BL-C2, and IMR 4350, depending on bullet weights.

The M700 is the best of the three, and I wish I could get my M77 MkII .243 to shoot as well. Along with my CDL Whelen, it's one of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Pet 7mm-08 load

I have killed a few deer and one Black Bear with a 145Gr Speer btsp over 47Gr. of W-760 . Shoots sub MOA out of my 20" stainless M-7 and hits hard , all were one shot kills

·
Registered
52 Posts
+1 on the 145 gr Speer BTSP and WW760. I use 49 gr with CCI 200's. Very accurate in my CDL and flattens deer like no tomorrow. CAUTION!!!!!! This is listed as max load in the Speer manual. .5 grain more will make for a sticky bolt and show other pressure signs even on cool days.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts