Shooters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
My bolt-action 7mm RM definitely kicks less than my semi-auto 12 gauge when firing 3" 00 buckshot shells. I would assume a Browning semi-auto would be even a little more gentle than the bolt-action.

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
my friend keeps tellin me a semi auto kicks harder than a bolt action.
There are many things that determine how much felt recoil a given gun will deliver, including the action type. Stock design and fit, recoil pad material, shooting position and form all contribute to how much "kick" a gun will have. Anyone who is used to 3.5" 12 gauge goose loads or 3" buckshot rounds will not be overly concerned with a 7RM, especially from a semi-auto.

All other things being equal, a semi-auto will typically have less felt recoil than a bolt-action.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Do you think that the recoil will be so bad as to cause shooting difficulty? Sometimes you just have to shoot something and see how it is for you. You'll probably be surprised to find they are not at all bad, but definately wear ear plugs because they are loud.

·
Banned
105 Posts
I've shot lots of 7mm standard bolt action, plus I have a 40x in 7mm and an encore rifle in 7mm. The recoil is not bad at all. Of the magnums it's got the lighter bullets, so it's a ***** cat.
When I ordered my encore barrel I wanted a 300 but I wasn't sure of the magnum recoil on a fairly light encore single shot so I got the 7mm to hedge my bet with a lighter recoil round.
First time I took it out I was wishing I would have gotten the 300. Even in the lighter single shot the 7mm is easy shooting.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
would a browning semi auto 7 mag kick harder than a 12 gauge semi auto shooting 3'' 00 buckshot?thanks i dont know what to expect!lol
I'm on my 3rd 7RM, and have an 870 and an 1100 with Remchoke barrels. I pattern a couple brands of buck each year to weed out poor batches.

3"/00 is meaner than any load I've ever put through a 7RM, from either shotgun.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've been preparing my grandson for shooting. He's 13, maybe weights 120, and plenty unsure of himself with things like recoil.

Our first go was with 22s, just to show that things aren't so bad.

The next was with a 5.45x39 (AR-15), and some .380 hangun.

In the beginning, I told him how to hold, and shoot properly, and to his recoil questiions, simply advised that all guns recoil, some more, some less, and then there are the really heavy kickers, that I don't own. But the important thing to remember is form (how you hold the firearm, and approach shooting). If you just do that, you'll be able to have a pleasant shooting with almost any shoulder or hand fired firearm.

The third outing consisted of: AR-15, .22 handguns, 9mm & .45auto handguns, 7mmRM (handloads), and .45-70 (handloads). I refreshed his memory about form as we moved up. He shot everything both standing and sitting at the bench, and multiples on the 7mmRM (5) and .45-70 (5).

His feedback was "that wasn't bad at all" to which I added that the last two would have kicked your butt if you had not been taught how to hold and fire a rifle.

Both got the other shooter's attention, and the .45-70 drew a "now that's a baritone" comment.

The 7mmRM kicks enough that with stout loads, and you shoot 20-30 from the bench, then there's a good chance you'll bruise some. Otherwise, make sure your shooting form is good and go have fun.

·
Banned
17 Posts
What most people don't understand in a rifle vs shotgun debate is, most shotguns arent fired off sandbags. Most slug and 3.5" buckshot/turkey loads can generate upwards of 60 ft/lbs of reocil out of any 12 gauge. Not to mention most shotguns are made light. A Mossberg 535 for instance is a little over 6 lbs, and kicks like a mule straight from the pits of ****.

Get you some Magnum 3.5" Slugs from Lightfield, and fire them from the bench. Talk about eye opening !

·
Registered
37 Posts
I sighted in my rem 870 with a slug barrel two summers ago. It was a 24" rifled barrel. I bought a bunch of some 3" rifled slugs and could'nt figure out why it would'nt group!?! About 40 rounds later, a buddy suggested I try some of his sabots. Well, lets just say six shots later and I was done. And not just because the rifle was sighted in. It was a nice sunny summer day and the t-shirt I was wearing wasn'nt helping reduce the recoil. 46 shots from a pretty light 12ga with 3" slugs wearing a tshirt was NOT what I would consider an enjoyable experience, but thats just me.

On the flip side of that, I have a Ruger M77 300WM that kicks less than that shotgun for sure. A 7mm RM recoils appx the same as an 06....not much at all.

Cheers,

Josh

·
Registered
50 Posts
I shoot both a 7 MM Rem mag & a 12 gauge with 3 & 3.5" shells. They are different. The 12 gauge 3.5" has a HUGE amount of recoil but it's a slower recoil than the 7MM. The 7 mag has less foot-pounds of recoil but has a faster kick that will be uncomfortable without a good recoil pad. My Browning 7MM is a Stainless Stalker bolt-action. In hunting situations the recoil has never been bothersome but off a bench it's different, or at least it was until I took off the stock recoil pad and put on a LimbSaver recoil pad. The LimbSaver recoil pad made a world of difference!

In short, if you can handle a 3.5" 12 gauge you can definitely handle a 7 MM Remington mag. If your 7 MM bothers you on the bench, spend $35 for a LimbSaver recoil pad. That will reduce the recoil to about that of a 12 gauge 2.75" high-base load.

Good choice. What are you going to hunt with it??

·
Registered
483 Posts
My brother has a 7mm rem mag in m77 synthectic stainless and it kicks less than his 270 rem 710.And the m77 is a small gun looks like a 243 win from outward apperance.Have shot 150 grainer's from this 7mm rem mag honestly there's no recoil.focuse more on what your guns going to do 2 your target not your shoulder .REcoil is mostly mental im starting to think.then again my brain is squirrely after shoot 2 1/4 oz of lead @1200 or so fps from ma 6 lb shotgun .I like to just roll with the recoil instead of trying to fight it either tuck it or say fu** it :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.