Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Banned
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the old 7 Mauser gone and forgotten or are there any satisfied users out there? It happens to be my pick of the crop and the older I get the better I like it.-------------T

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
I love the 7 Mauser. I'll take it all week long over the 7-08 and twice on Sundays

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
There is nothing wrong at all with the 7mm Mauser. Its another one of those cartridges that kills animals dead like it did over a hundred years ago and the new cartridges cant change that.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
I have a Ruger #1A chambered so and it makes for a very nice & classic combo. It wears a Leupold M8 4X scope and is presently sighted in with a 173gr SPCE S&B load. I'd still like, some day, to get a nice custom Mauser in 7x57 as well. Both the 7x57 and 8x57 are way too unappreciated here in the U.S., IMO.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
I made my longest shot on a Deer some 378 yards, using a Winchester Model 70 "Post '64" Featherweight in 7 mm Mauser. One shot & it was down.;)

·
Banned
605 Posts
I've built and owned, at last count, 4 7x57mm rifles. Mild mannered, accurate, light, totally effective. I've taken moose, elk and deer with them.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I don't hunt, just shoot paper once a week at range I'm a member. One of my more accurate centerfire rifles is a Ruger 77 tang safety rifle I had rebarreled to 7x57. If I did deer hunt again, it'd probably be one of the rifles I'd use. My other top choice would be one of my 257Roberts rifles, which is just a 7x57 necked down to 25 cal.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
I've always found it odd how many rifle cases of .473" rimless head design have been spawned by the 7x57 Mauser, while it has slowly but surely faded into near-obscurity. It's still just as useful as it ever was and if every deer hunter in the world was required by law to shoot the 7 Mauser, none of them would be limited, in any way. There are times when I think I should sell every gun I own, buy a 45LC revolver, 7x57 Mauser and 22LR bolt-action. Lay in a decent supply of ammo for each and be done with the whole mess.

Reactions: 7x57 #1

·
Registered
129 Posts
Before Jack O'Connor became closely identified with the .270 Winchester, he was a strong advocate of the 7x57mm cartridge. IIRC, he was particularly fond of the 139 grain open point Western bullet, using it to kill many deer and other game animals. Jack's wife used a 7x57mm in Africa when they were on safari and everyone from the bearers to the White Hunter was impressed with her shooting and the effectiveness of the cartridge.

The single negative with the cartridge is the chambers being cut for 175 grain bullets which means a long throat and a longer than usual jump from case to lands for lighter bullets. It can cause accuracy problems in some rifles. In my Lightweight Model 70 Winchester (push feed) I load 175 grain bullets to between 2300 and 2400 FPS and it's very accurate. I've owned a 7x57 rifle of some sort continuously since 1968 and wouldn't like to be without one. My handiest woods rifle is a Model 1922 Brazilian Mauser short rifle made by FN. Light and accurate, it must have been a favorite of soldiers lucky enough to be issued one. The original barrel was trashed but a company in Geneseo, IL had new-old stock Mauser produced exact replacement barrels for $25 each. I had one installed and the bore is now perfect.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have had some in the past and it is the biggest cartridge I can shoot regularly and still be comfortable. I have a 98 action at home that will be getting a 7x57 barrel on it when I get back from deployment. Someday I might try the Ackley version.

I also own a 257Roberts, and it too is a great round. Far better than the .243Win in my opinion.

Part of the problem with both of these is that they are loaded for old 95 actions which leaves allot of performance potential un tapped. Also as mentioned a long jump to the rifling with many barrels.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
That was the chambering for my induction into the "Brotherhood of the Barrel Nut". Bought a used Savage 110 that bubba had liberally used locktite on scope base screws. He then proceed to break off a torx wrench in a allen head screw. Nice base action for a build and price was right at one Ben Franklin. Brought ERShaw barrel and assembled everything with Sharp Shooter Supply competition trigger.

Still trying too find a reload that it likes. The factory Pri Partisan fodder groups MOA so that will be used this fall deer season. We'll see how many doe tags I get filled from the dozen purchased. I've been shooting its big brother for about eight years with great success.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I just bought a NIB Ruger #1 in 7x57 (Boddington Leopard). I haven't had a chance to set it up yet, but I am excited to get a scope and get it shooting. I have always wanted a 7x57, and I jumped on this one. Looks like ammo is going to be tough though, so it looks like it is time to finally get into reloading.
Dan

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Ammo is fairly easy using on line ordering. Midway, Grafs, Cabela's and other carry loaded ammunition for this chambering. I've had very good results from the Pri Partisan brand sold by them. Pricing is generally reasonable but some can get spendy like Norma and Lapau.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Don't listen to him, Dan! Get the reloading stuff and start having fun making ammo, instead of just shelling out the big bucks, buyin' it! :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Whenever I need some more 7x57 brass for reloading, I generally just order a couple of boxes of Prvi Partizan or Wolf ammo (which is Prvi) from Grafs, Midway or whoever is cheaper.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Don't listen to him, Dan! Get the reloading stuff and start having fun making ammo, instead of just shelling out the big bucks, buyin' it! :)
I hear ya'. Been putting it off for a couple of years, as I have been stuck in analysis paralysis. Just need to pull the trigger (pardon the pun) and jump in.
Dan

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
I hear ya'. Been putting it off for a couple of years, as I have been stuck in analysis paralysis. Just need to pull the trigger (pardon the pun) and jump in.
Dan
I took my buddy's advice 20+ years ago and bought the Rockchucker kit. Aside from turning out a LOT of ammo in a hurry, I've never wanted more than it provides, in a press. Reloading is just way too rewarding, if you shoot much at all, to not take advantage of.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have owned both 7x57 an d 7m-08. Both are excellent for my applications; mostly whitetail in wooded situations and every 3rd year for a western venture for elk, mule deer or antelope. Both do the job without recoil muss or fuss. In field performance I would rate them a dead even draw with a slight balistic edge to the 7m-08 at longer ranges of 200+. Shut your eyes a grab one; can't go wrong.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I took my buddy's advice 20+ years ago and bought the Rockchucker kit. Aside from turning out a LOT of ammo in a hurry, I've never wanted more than it provides, in a press. Reloading is just way too rewarding, if you shoot much at all, to not take advantage of.
Buried somewhere in my PMs is a recommended shopping list of reloading equipment. I need to dig it up after this deer season, and try to figure it out. I think the main reason I haven't yet is that I don't have anyone close by that I can ask questions of.

Need to get that new 7x57 scoped up too. So much to do and so little time :eek:
Dan

·
Registered
821 Posts
My favorite round of all...would trade just about any rifle in my safe for another "good" one with a 98' action, also my favorite..but any modern action would be more than acceptable..

1 - 20 of 95 Posts