Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my new Kimber Sonora in 7mm Rem mag (26" bbl with 1-9 twist). You guys have any good starting points for this caliber? Was thinking about starting with this;

Winchester brass (because I have it)
CCI BR-2 (have them on hand)
168 gr sierra HPBT match king
RL-22

Sad part is this rifle will sit in the safe for a couple months till I get the funds and convince the wife to spend another $800 on the Leupold..

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Save for the Leupold that you want. DON'T put a 200yd scope on a 600yd gun.

4.5-14x50 would be minimum. 6.5-20x50 would be great. The latter is what I have on a 28" 7mag.

You did not say the application for the weapon(hunting,target,etc) but for varmint's that you do not care about pelt damage the 130gr SMK's shoot flat,fast,and accurate. ---pruhdlr

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Put one similar but with varmit reticle on a varmit rig. Well worth every penny spent on that scope. Excellant optics that is not fatiguing too the eyes in varmit fields.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Sad part is this rifle will sit in the safe for a couple months till I get the funds and convince the wife to spend another $800 on the Leupold...
Here's a thought for ya,

I have an old Redfield 3X-9X. The optics are fairly clear, the finish has been around, but not abused. It's been on at least 2 dz different rifles and shotguns. I bought it used for $50 many years ago.

It's fine for testing out rifles and shotguns until I can swing the scope I want.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Why would you need an $800 6.5-20X scope, just to test some handloads? A boring old Bushnell 3X-9X will tell you everything you need to know about whether or not the loads are good in that rifle. When you get ready to go on a prairie dog shoot, antelope hunt or to a 600 meter competition, then slap the good glass on it. No need to wait until then, unless you just don't have any scope at all that you could put on it.

To answer your original question, since you have those components on hand; load 'em up and see whatchya get. Worst case scenario, they don't shoot great out of your gun and you have to try something else.

·
Registered
287 Posts
go with large rifle mag primer and a different bullet if plan on hunting with it R 22 is very good powder for 7mm mag(in mine anyways)h 1000,imr 4831 are some other good ones too.My hunting load is 160 gr tsx ,61.5 grs R22 ,fed 215 primer,win case can't remember the o.a.l its 30 thousands off the lands(barnes recomends you start 50 thousand off lands,bore )Also my load is a 1/2 grain above max listed load( worked up the load the before there was published data for it)It works fine in my rifle I get 4 loads out of it.As with any new load go wth starting data and work up.If I do my part I get 2'' groups out to 300 yrds pretty good for a hunting rifle

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have shot 162 and 175 gr bullets with H4831C, H4350, and Re22 in (4) different 7mmRemMag rifles.

I load for what Quickload thinks is between 60kpsi and 65 kpsi.

Performance all seems to be about the same.
What holds the accuracy back is the little hunting scope, rather than some big target scope.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Save for the Leupold that you want. DON'T put a 200yd scope on a 600yd gun.
Having shot a fair pile of groundhogs and prairie dogs at 300-500yds with a 3X-9X Leupold on .223's and .243's, I have to wonder why it would turn a 7mm Magnum into a 200yd rifle? The longest shot I've ever taken was at a antelope, using the same .243, a bit over 500yds, dropped in sight of the field of view, it was set on 6X at the time.

Thr 2.5X-8X I own is on a .35 Whelen. It will turn in minute of angle 5 shot groups out to 300yds, the longest range I have accessto, and having shot a few DCM matches, I can say that a good shot with a Garand or M1A can definately do the trick at 600yds with a peep sight.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
When I first bought my 7mm Rem Mag I bought a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14X44mm scope for it. Great scope but too much magnification for the gun when used for hunting unless you know you are going to take really long shots. Mine has a parallax adjust, that takes time, and you may not get time in the field. I worked up my loads then replaced the scope with a Burris Signature 2.5-8X33mm. It's much more to my liking for hunting.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I should add that my go-to loads are the Speer 175 grain Mag Tip or Grand Slam bullets over a full case of Retumbo powder.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
This is from my 7mm Rem Mag when it was sporting the Conquest scope .... 200 yards ... first shot from a cold clean barrel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts