Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
SquirrelSniper,

Both comparisons you are asking about have been covered, ad nauseum, in the forum. Do a quick search and you'll get all the opinions on 30-'06 vs 7RM and semi-auto vs bolt-action that you could ever want to read.

·
Registered
144 Posts
check a reloading book, the velocities for same bullet weights are next to non existent, the only differences between the 2 cartridges is one (the 7mm) uses more powder, and the .30-06 has a slightly lower ballistic coefficient, but the differences are small enough that you, and and the deer/elk will never know the difference

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Not ten cents worth of difference. Pick one and enjoy.
I've owned about five '06's and four 7RM's over the last 40 years. I have a 7RM now. If I could do it all again, I'd get a 280 Rem, or a .270 WIN. and be done with the argument. I actually like my 7-08 better than either the '06 or 7RM for general use. The .270's I've loaded for make that a real good choice also.

But in the long run, the '06 is a bit cheaper to load and get brass for, is pretty much the equal on game, and is probably lighter in hand most of the time.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I have both. Can't tell a lick of difference really hunting. I shoot, the game falls down, the skinning and debonning is complete an hour or two later.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
course, if ya buy the 7 Mag, you get to tell everybody you got a MAG NUMMMMMMM ! ! !

all the kids will go "WOW " !!!

if you buy the 0-6, all the old-timers will say "Wise choice son"

thats about the only real difference.....

·
Banned
105 Posts
Both are great choices. Pick what you like.
You have two very good classic choices there.
I never understood the guys that don't like the '06. I can't think of one thing you can't do with it. More bullets to choose from in 30 cal. than you would care to think about.
In fact if you don't reload the edge goes to the '06 in my book just because you can find a lot of different loads off the shelf anywhere. There are plenty of good choices out for the 7mm also, but not that you find at any old mom and pop store.
Price the ammo for both if you plan on doing a lot of shooting and don't reload. That is another factor to think about.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Is a magnum better?
In a word, no.

I think Tang and Rubberduck are doing you a disservice by making statements about hating the '06 but never explaining why. They sound like they know something a person just starting out needs to know, and that a magnum does indeed have important advantages.

I am asking Tang and Rubberduck to first, explain your "hate" for the '06 in terms a beginner can understand and appreciate (so he can see if they are reasonable at all) and second, to refrain from deliberately misleading someone who is asking for genuine advice.

My opinion is that the .30-06 will do all the OP is asking to do; the '06 will do anything the 7mm Mag will do; the '06 is available in more gun models than almost any other cartridge, which makes it ideal for a beginner since he can choose whatever style of rifle he wants and can very likely find it on the used market if budget is an issue.

The .30-06 is an ideal "deer possibly elk" choice for anyone just starting out. There are really good reasons for the fact it is the most popular cartridge for all big game hunting in North America by a wide margin, and denying those qualities does someone asking for advice no good whatsoever.

·
Registered
574 Posts
A .30-06 will do the job on any animal on the North American continent, and it has done the job on each of those animals many times in the past. 7mm shoots a little faster, but is more limited in loads. Where else but the .30-06 can you get loads ranging from 55gr to 250gr. It may not be the best caliber ever invented, but a definite case can be made that it is the most versatile.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
7 Mags tend to be in longer barreled guns. If you get one of each with the same length barrels and throw 150 to 180 grain slugs, there is no difference. Magnum is just a word. Marketing doesn't kill game, well aimed shots do.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Well Sask, as I have explained, many times over... My hate for the 30-06 started early on. When I was just a wee lad asking about different guns, they tried pounding it in my head that the 30-06 was the be-all/end-all of cartridge ammunition. Me being the way I am, that approach does not work for me, it is ridiculous. I don't care if they did think you could replace mortars and 105's with it, it just didn't work for me. As I got older, the crap got deeper, and I hated it more. By the time I started buying my own rifles, I absolutely despised it. Same with shotguns, I was told a I needed to use a .410, but I was shooting the 12's.

My only real gripe, is it doesnt have enough power to show a need to use up a good long action. Makes no sense, when you can get a .308 in a smaller, lighter rifle and do the same thing. So as you can see, my hate for it, has nothing to do with it's merits, I just plain got tired of hearing about it. I would go back to muzzleloader only, or give up hunting all together before Id own one.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.