Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jack, my father in law has shot 4 elk with a .280 Rem, which I guess you could call the 7 Mag's little brother.

If the .280 works... can't see why a 7 mag would not.  Use good bullets - Partitions, Fail Safe, Barnes X, etc., and don't shoot at the south end of a north-bound elk.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,139 Posts
Jack,
     Lots of people use the 7 Mag for elk here in North Idaho, it gets the job done! I would certainly second what MikeG said about the premium bullets though. High velocity and elk bones can eat up bullets. Where are you planning on hunting? Different terrain can make different calibers "optimum". For example, I used to live in Utah and the sagebrush/scrub oak hills made long range a distinct possibility (much like southern Idaho.)
Here in North Idaho you can sometimes get to within 10 yards of an elk, have him bugling and not ever be able to see him! In either type of terrain, a 7 Mag with a premium bullet should be fine. Good luck!     IDShooter  

·
Registered
872 Posts
i generally like a little more caliber and a little less speed for big stuff, myself, but my next door neighbor shot a real nice heavy 4 x 5 with his 7 Rem mag and killed it deader than julius ceaser.

Load was a factory winchester power point in 175 grain round nose.  Reckon he shot it once at around 145 yards, game over.

Think premium bullets is good advice, and heavy premium bullets if the range is short.  I would sure shoot one with a heavy conventional round and not worry much though.

Kill a great big one.

Steve

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Whitehunter35!

I've killed two spike buck elk with my Weatherby Vanguard 7mm.  Neither went more than 50 yards with one in the ribcage.  For all around shooting, I prefer something like the 160gr Sierra SBT, but for elk, I use a 175gr Nosler or Sierra with Reloder 19.

Good Hunting!

Stumpy

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have used a 7MM Mag. for many years. Actually went from a .338 Mag to the 7mm. I thought the .338 was just too big for elk, To much damage to the animal.   Since I have changed I have taken 9 elk in 5 years. I use a 160 gr. Sierra SBT at 2650 FPS. I have talked to some hunters that use the 140 gr. bullets and they stated that the elk would just twitch when hit. The bullet is moving so fast the animal doesn't know it.
    I think it is not the size of the rifle, bullet weight or velocity. IT IS WHERE YOU PLACE THE BULLETS THAT COUNTS.  I guided a hunter using a 375 H&H Mag  Big rifle.. but he flinched so bad he shot 3' over the animals back at 180 yards.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I absolutely love my 7mm Mag on Elk.  I use 175 gr soft points at 2850 fps and 168 gr boat tail hp at 2950 fps.  I have gun zeroed at 300 yards and have taken Elk from 40 to 400 yards.  As with any calibre shot placement is extremely important and critical at longer ranges.  If I had to choose another caliber 30-06, or 300 mag, maybe an Ultra Mag 7mm, 300 or 338.

Tim

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have three friends who've killed elk with their 7MM Rem. Mags, using the federal Premium 160 gr. Nosler Partition bullets.  No problems. Lots of hunters use them here in southern and central Idaho.

Also, another friend and his wife both hunt So. Africa and Zimbabwe, and they both shoot 7 Mags. They do very well there, too, on  elk size animals.

Although I've been using a .338 for many years on elk, I've killed one bull elk with my .280 Remington, when my .338 had a problem just before a guided hunt, and I didn't have time to rezero it. I used my handload of 54.0 grs. IMR 4350 & 160 Nosler Partition bullets. One round: meat in the freezer.

Good hunting. L.W.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts