Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
355 Posts
Hi Fellow Members,
Does anyone currently own a rifle chambered for the 7mm TCU caliber ? In which rifle ? What is its twist and barrel length ?
If you do, please tell me about the different bullets you've tried. Which do you use the most ? Which weight do you prefer ? Would you build another rifle in that caliber if you were to do it again ?
Please don't anyone ask me why I'm even considering this as a new gun. If you have to ask that, it isn't very likely that you have that caliber in a rifle----in a Contender maybe.
Thank you for helping me.

:) chuck:)

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,948 Posts
Since it appears no one else that currently has the 7TCU chambering in a rifle, how 'bout me giving you some info on a T/C carbine I USED to own?

Barrel length was 23", with a 1/10 twist.

I tried Speer 120 gr SP's, Sierra 120 gr SP's, Speer 130 gr SP's, Hornady 139 gr SP's, Nosler 140 gr Ballistic Tips, Nosler 140 gr Solid Base SP's and Barnes 100 gr "X" bullets.

The Sierra 120 gr SP's, over 27.0 gr H322 and a CCI 450 Small Rifle Mag primer was good for 2380 fps avg and .915" 5 shot groups at 100 yds. This was the best load of those tested.

Would I build another rifle in this caliber? Depends on what it would be for. This particular setup was for the Iron Shilou. shooting and worked reasonably well. It would probably make a decent whitetail round if the range was kept to 150 yds or less. The biggest problem was resizing brass from .223 Rem cases. Probably just me, but I had a fairly high discard rate trying to form the stuff.

No, I won't ask why you're interested in this cartridge.

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi kdub,

Thank you very much for your info on the 7mm TCU. Now, that you've broken the mold, you could please consider some more questions as follows:
1. Did you anneal the brass before reloading the .223 cases with 7mm bullets?
2. Did you use the "lead dipping" or the "cases resting in the water" method of annealing ?
3. Did you chose the 10 inch twist, or was it made by Thompson Center and you took it "as is" from a seller ?
4. Who made the barrel ?
5. What action did you use ?

You have already been very helpful to me, and I again say, Thank You very much.

Mesa is a wonderful place filled with many wonderful people, My #2 son graduated from ASU, and I had visited there several times.

;) chuck

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,948 Posts
Hi, Chuck -

Yes, I anneal cases prior to reloading.My method of annealing cases is to hold the case with a pair of vise grips, use a propane torch and rotate the case at a 45 deg angle to the flame until the case just starts to turn a dark red color, then dump the case into a large coffee can filled half way with water. The heat affected zone of the case is concentrated right at the shoulder. The case will transition color on cooling about 1/2 inch below the shoulder.

The barrel was a standard T/C factory barrel. The action, of course, was the T/C Contender frame.

Glad you enjoyed the area when visiting your son. Lots of folks here now - highways and streets are 50 years behind the curve, so it's getting very difficult to drive around anymore.

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
7mm TCU

Hi kdub,

I've taken a studius approach to annealing. I've read many reasons why those who used to anneal using your method have stopped doing so. Unless you ask, I shall not bother you with their reasons.

The one method I plan on trying was the method used by a custom-loaded-cartridge businessman who specialized in only wildcat calibers and annealing of hundreds of cases in an hour or hour and a half.

That method uses a lead pot set just at the melting point of the lead. The case has no primer and its primer pocket cleaned. near the melting pot ( here is the only dangerous part) is a container of water and ice cubes in it. Another container having only ice cubes to be added to the water later.

While holding each case inverted, with his fingers, he dips the case into the lead so as to cover the shoulder. Then he removes the case and gently drops it into the ice water VERY CAREFULLY. One drop of water into molten lead will cause you more anxiety than you'd ever desire ! Ran out of space.

:) :cool: Chuck

·
Banned
111 Posts
I know that this is an old post but I thought I would just add my 2 cents worth...

I have built a suprising number of Remington Model 7 rifles in the 7mm T/CU chambering. In fact, I deer hunted exclusively with one for three years and really enjoyed it. Completely decked out, most of these rifles tipped the scale at around 7 pounds. Accuracy was always better than expected, with most developed loads from these 18"-20" barrels averaging well under an inch at 100 yards with most loads hovering around an inch at the 200 yard mark with very mild recoil...

For deer, I shot Sierra's 100 gr. hollow point and Hornady's 120 gr. spire point. For hogs though, I shot SPEER's 160 gr. Hot-Cor with more than exceptable results....

D-A

1 - 6 of 6 Posts