Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody tried shooting any reloads...if so, what works..
I'm shooting a remington 7mm ultra mag...stainless and composite.....I cant get factory loads (140 nosler) to group like I like

·
Registered
429 Posts
I used the same rifle in South Africia last July. I reloaded using Hodgdon's "Retumbo". I put 90 gr. under a Barnes 175 gr "X". Anything I shot from 50 yards out to 180 yards dropped. The hydrashock effect of this cartridge is awesome. Go to Hodgdon's home page and look for reloading data for "Retumbo" in your bullet size. You can also use their H1000 powder too. I zeroed my rifle at 200 yards and got good enough to hit within a 6 inch circle sitting on the ground and using shooting sticks.

·
Registered
429 Posts
trd4x4 said:
what was your groups at 200
I do not bench rest my rifle for target shooting. I shoot to duplicate, as much as possible, hunting stances. As I said, I kept within 6 inchs at 200 yards sitting or standing using only shooting sticks for some support. I can only imagine that if the rifle had been is some kind of vise, the groups would have been quite a bit smaller. This is all the accuracy I need from a rifle, the rest is me. I would like to add that I did impress the PH I was with in South Aifrca when I dropped an Ornx at 180 yards.

I do not know about your rifle except to say that it is a real flinch maker and after three shots the barrel heats up so much that the point of impact will change. I limit my practice to 3 shot groups and then let it cool. This will allow you to relax between shootings as well, thus reducing the development of a bad flinch. Is your barrel free floating?

I also try to make my cartridges as uniform as possible using the best componets; match primers, reaming the necks and primer pockets, etc.

Did the Hodgdon loading data help you?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,225 Posts
6 inch groups at 200 yards from field positions is GREAT with a hard kicker! Will kill anything you would reasonably shoot at with that gun. We all need more practice shooting like that and less reliance on the benches (except for load development & to verify zero).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i agree with both of you...one thing that hit home was your statement about the 3 shots and the barrell heats up....I believe two shots is max then cool....i've found that the first two shots at 100 are touching, the 3rd shot is off about 1 1/2 inch out...heat sucks...awesomw gun though...thanks

·
Banned
46 Posts
when you guys say you are shooting the stainless and composite are you refering to the sendero model or the light barrel model? I am just curious as to see if the barrel heat you mention after 2-3 rounds is in the heavier fluted sendero rifle? Thanks

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
While I don't have the 7mm Ultra, my SS Sendero fluted (what a joke) does not heat up too badly. I said what a joke though as I compared it to other rifles not fluted and they heat up just as quick and cool down just as slow. IMO the flutes only help to lighten the barrel some, that's all. While I can get 5 shot groups off before the barrel gets too hot to touch (over a couple of minutes) I do need to reiterate that mine is slow even for a 7mm STW (where they got those sizzling figures for the STW is a mystery to me; not with my rifle they didn't) so since the Ultra is considerably faster, I am sure it heats up quicker. The point is don't expect the Sendero with its fluted barrel to be of any real help. IMO it's all marketing hype.

·
Registered
429 Posts
coyotedr said:
when you guys say you are shooting the stainless and composite are you refering to the sendero model or the light barrel model? I am just curious as to see if the barrel heat you mention after 2-3 rounds is in the heavier fluted sendero rifle? Thanks

My 700 is the standard factory BDL model with a 26in length barrel. After about 3 shots, the barrel is too hot to touch and starts pulling off to the 3 o'clock position. I shoot 175grn Barnes X bullets on top of 90grn of "Retumbo". That's as bout as hot a load I would want for this cartridge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I reload the 7mm ultra mag with 80.0 grains of IMR 4831 topped with a nosler 140 gr ballistic tip and a CCI 250 magnum primer. It will shoot 1/4 inch 3 shot groups at 100. My rifle is a factory Remington LSS with a 26 inch brl. This has been the tightest groups with any load I have tried yet. Hope you have some luck with it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
trd4x4, i'm loading 93.5grs of h1000 9 1/2 m primers and 140gr barnes coated at just under 3700fps. at 100 yards off sand bags i covered a three shot group with a dime. not bad for a out of box 700 bdl.good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This gun is even better than I thought at first. I was just in Idaho hunting elk and deer for a couple of weeks and did a little shooting while I was there. We saw some cows and calfs but no bulls so after a couple of days I started getting an itchy trigger finger. Me and my old man were with one of his buddies who guides elk hunts and we decided to throw a couple of shots at a rock that I would guess to be between 475 and 525 yards. We were shooting off the pickup hood and was smacking this rock with basketball size groups at this range. What a gun! This guy (Kenny) was **** sure impressed. Anyway, I did end up shooting a little forky horn while I was there, dropped his *** so fast I never seen him fall. It was like blam, dissapear, and the old man was watching through binoculars and never even seen him go down. He was only 100 yards! Just got the good old watermelon sound and thats it. I'd sure like to hear some of yall's 7 ultra stories. Talk to ya later.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts