Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the process of getting a 7mm weatherby, it will be my first weatherby gun, for those that ahve one how do you like them. It is a mark v . WIll be reloding for it and wondering if anyone had any advice on relaoding, what yo uahve used and find bet in reloading thank for any info.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I've got a bit of experience with the .270 Weatherby, which is almost identical to the 7mm, just .007 difference between the two. I'd steer you towards IMR7828 and Reloader 22 for powders. They have worked well for me in the .270 Wthby. I've also used Reloader 19 to good effect in this round. Federal 215's are the primer for this round. When it comes to bullets, you'll want to use premium bullets with tough construction to prevent bullet failure. Depending on bullet weight, if that deer steps out at 50yds, you going to need a bullet that will stand up to velocities in the range of 3200 fps with a 150gr bullet. If you hunting anything bigger than deer, you should be using nothing less than the best bullets you can buy anyway. In the .270 Wthby I've had good luck with Tropy Bonded Bear Claws, Swift Sciroccos, and the Barnes X-bullet. If you want to use the X-bullet, I would try the 150's or lighter first, not the heavier ones. In my .284 Winchester pistol I've had good luck with the X bullets and Sciroccos. I realize it's not the same velocity level, but the performance was superb. I would look towards a good bonded core bullet before the X bullet because you're going to lose the petals and weight at anything under 300yds with this cartridge. You might want to try some factory loads to have a something against which to measure your reloads. Federal has a loading with the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullet at 160grs that would be worth a try in addition to the Weatherby stuff. If you can't get it to shoot the 3-shot 1.5" groups with Weatherby ammo, send it back.

A few notes on reloading these cartridges. Don't replace bullets in hot loads, you have to work up a new load for a new bullet if it a max pressure loading even if they are of the same weight. The premium bullets vary widely in their internal composition, they vary in length and jacket thickness, and it can affect pressures in a drastic measure if you are dealing with high pressure loads. I don't know how much experience you have shooting magnums, but be aware that the barrel will heat up very quickly with these rounds. Be especially aware of that if you're purchasing one of the new ultra-light rifles. You'll have to let the gun sit quite awhile between shot strings or it will become very hot. You can damage the rifle throat very quickly if you blaze away with one of these catridges.

I also shoot a .340 in a Mark V. It is not a current US made rifle, but one that was made in Japan. It shoots pretty well. The synthetic stock is of a flimsy injection molded variety and has caused me fits until it was replaced with something more suitable. I don't know how they are now or if this affects your rifle. The Mark V is a good strong action that holds up to the power of a few of the most powerful rounds commercially available.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts