Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm thinking of mag-na porting my new Browning A-Bolt s/stalker which is chambered in 7mm WSM. What would suit my rifle? mag-na port V's muzzle break. Also keen to hear how people rate the WSM cartridge. All coments good or bad are welcome

Regards James.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I had a .325 WSM and loved it. It now belongs to a fellow member here. The .300 WSM is the one that I seen no need for, but the .270 and 7mm really shine. Unless you are pretty recoil shy, I dont see why you would want to port it. It will make the gun obnoxiously loud, especially for bystanders at the range. I would first try a Sims Limbsaver recoil pad, before I had the barrel butchered, but that's just me. My wife uses my 7mm Rem Mag, and the Limbsaver was the deciding factor for her. She can now shoot it as much as she wants.

The 160gr Nosler Accubond is a great all around bullet for a fast 7, in my opinion. I would just avoid lightly constructed bullets, and enjoy !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tang, I have owned this rifle for only 3monhs and I realy enjoy it, Although the recoil can get quite a hand full by the end of a big days hunting it's more the savage muzzle jump this thing has. I have been loading 160g Nosler Accu. with magnum primers and 63grains of ADI 2209 as I mainly hunt medium game but still destroyes anything large that gets in the way. Not quite shooting MOA but believe I can get it better with some more load development. I will do some hunting arround for the limb saver you suggested. I'm not sure they are available in Australia?

I also notice you have a good collection of Rugers. About 12 months ago I purchased a heavey barrel laminated M77 Mkii in 22.250rem And I have to say I have not shot anything better out of the box. I have done lots of load work with it and the accuracy is incredible, 5 shot groups at 100 yards in the one hole, It is a real tac driver.
55grain Nosler BT pill Chronographed at 3880 fps=BIG TROUBLE.

Cheers

·
Registered
614 Posts
I have to agree with Tang . Except maybe I'd go one step further and say that of the WSM cartridges the 7mm is the only one that I have any interest in owning . But I suppose as long as I have my 7mm RM I won't need one of those either ! If you have either 7 Mag you probably don't need another rifle though . Limbsaver or Kick-Eez pads do tame the savage beast . If you can't find any down under I'd be happy to help you out !

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I own a 7mm WSM. I love it. I would not see the need to magna-port one. Is your's a plastic stock model? Those can be punishing. That stuff just doesn't absorb much of the recoil. Still, a good pad as suggested above is your best bet. For hunting, you should only need to shoot once anyway. Occasionally twice. Just make sure your scope has good eye-relief and you'll be fine. One bit of advice I would give on the 7mmWSM. Use a good 160 grain bonded bullet. I use Trophy Bondeds, but Nosler Bondeds and Partitions are good as well. If you use cheaper or lighter bullets, the results are messy.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Personally I hate muzzel brakes and magna-porting. Both do a great job reducing recoil but the muzzle blast can be punishing and damaging even with ear protection. When your hunting you will have to wear ear protection. A good recoil pad or PAST shield would be a much better choice. I have never noticed recoil while hunting even with the big bore lightweights.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks fellas, All this info is what I'm chasing and I will try to respond to everyone with this. Yes it's a sporter barrel synthetic stock model (stalker) And is quite a hand full. During a days hunting we would on average shoot 20-30 rounds as we control big mobs of wild bores in our crops and bush land, So after a day of that you wish the good old .22 would do the trick. Sorry but these bores are very tough. I never hunt without using hearing protection so I feel the porting will not be that worrying to me. I am using 160g Accubonds now as I found how inafective a standard 150g Nosler ballistic tip can be on such thick shinned game. My scope is set up perfect on this rifle, 4.5-14x40 VXiii Leopold with a B&C reticle. It is hard to get comparasons here in Aus as the WSM's are not that common. Is anyone familiar with ADI powders/or have any load data they wish to share for this cartridge?

I thank you all for the comments.

Regards James.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
The 7WSM is an excellent cartridge. I am not really spun up on the ADI powders, although they are supposed to be derivatives of Hodgdons powders. The 160gr Accubond is a great powder and you should be able to get 3K out of your rifle without an issue. I am a fan of a good muzzlebrake. They reduce recoil, assist in making better shots and let you get back on target pretty quickly. I know they aren't for everyone, but look at the KDF, HART, and some others. I wouldn't mess with Magna porting, just my opinion, but a good brake is a very useful shooting tool. If you are already wearing ear pro, you are ahead of the game. Good luck, throw some pictures up if you can. Scotty

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but most of the game I have killed have been initially sensed with my ears. If these boars are numerous and tough, I am not sure I would want to go after them with hearing protection on. What is the cover/typical range situation for these hogs?

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
There is a wide variety of hearing "augmentation" available these days that actually cuts out and helps reduce hearing damage, when you shoot. For this dual purpose, I would go with one of the over-the-ear muffs, as opposed to the smaller models that go in the ear canal. If I shot a gun with enough recoil that I felt I needed a muzzle brake or ported barrel, that is probably what I would use.

I accept ringing ears after taking a shot on big game as part of the deal, but if I had a ported gun, I might feel differently and use hearing protection during the hunt.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Yeah I have a Model 70 .30-06 BOSS. For the first 10 deer or so I accepted the week of ear ringing. This is before I knew about the CR plug that allows the tuning, but offers no recoil reduction, but is not so freakin loud. Except for a synthetic .338, .375, or 30-378/.300 RUM that I only intended to shoot once a fall, I would never get another ported rifle again. Owning a 7WSM, I can see why JGF wants one if he has to shoot it in a synthetic 20 times a day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi again, Well just got home from my first outing with the mag-na porting. I am pleasently supprised at the improvment this has made. Best 200yard 3 shot group was 1.130" edge to edge. A big improvement as I was outside [email protected] before. The typical hog hunt is usually 100 yards but on the open flood plains my longest shot was 368yards. But walking through the scrub can really get the adrenilin going as we have just about kicked them walking through the grass and in doing so both myself and a mate have been put up a tree several times(And it's not fun) I have been trying to post some pics but can't seem to get it to work. Maybee some one can give me some pointers:)

Cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts