Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought this 7 mag and I shot it a few times and had no problems..after the first few shots the cartridges started sticking when trying to eject the empties..I looked at the emptie cartridges and they look scratched around the center..as if they expanded and swelled up.  Any thoughts or help???

Thanks
Bobby

·
Registered
23 Posts
You didn't say what rifle you are using.  I experienced problems with a 300 RUM after it warmed up.  The problem was difficulty in closing the bolt.  You had to hit the handle with the heel of your hand to get it fully into battery.  I sent it back and Remington said the problem was a rough chamber.  They polished it out and said it sould be fixed.  We just got it back a few weeks ago and are going to range test it in a few days to make sure.  If you have a Remington you might be experiencing a similar problem.  In any event I would send it back to the factory because it sounds like a rough chamber to me.

Bill

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rifle is a Birmingham Small Arms (BSA)  This rifle is probobly 30 years old, but its in 99% condition.  I feel you are right though, I think it needs polishing. It also seems like it starts sticking after it heats up... I shot it again today and I found that if you put a drop or two of a good gun lubricant on the cartridge before loading a round, that it wont stick at all.  Also, it only sticks after being fired.   Anyone else ever had this problem..  Oh, by the way, this gun is grouping three shots less than 1/4 inch at 100 yards.  So I think I can deal with it until hunting season is over.  Any replies would be appreciated.  

Bobby

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well, I'm no expert, but I don't think that lubricating the cartridges is the correct thing to do.  I think this could increase the thrust against the locking lugs.  I would suggest a light chamber polish with JB compound to see what happens.

Tom

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Had a friend that was experiencing the same thing in his Browning 7mm. He used Hoppes #9 and oil after cleaning. I think he now knows that things can build up in that chamber and cause problems, even the very thing you thought was cleaning. He now uses elbow grease and Butch"s Bore Shine to clean and Kruoil to lube and he never leaves oil in chamber or barrel before firing. Everything dry and clean. Some of us now believe that Hoppes has changed something but we have no proof. A little ammonia goes a long way to clean a dirty gun. sweets or butch or something that cleans instead of adds gunk.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a Rem 700 BDL in 7MM Mag. Noticed cases were sticking. I checked case length and noticed marks on the cases. Also noticed that factory rounds came out but had the same marks on tehm, My custom neck sized rounds were harder to remove.  http://www.cctrap.com/~varmint/arelo.htm Varmint Al's has excellent info. I polished my chamber for 1 minute and noticed a major difference. Took longer to clean the rifle than the actual polishing job on the chamber. Now my cases come right every time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts