Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Beartooth Regular
2,214 Posts
Enforcer,
All I know is, my 'smith is very reasonable compared to everyone I've ever checked, and he would still get over $500 to rebarrel a 336 to a wildcat round. Unless you are using a barrel made specifically for the 336, there is some machining involved at the breech in addition to all the things kciH mentioned. I don't see 7-30 barrels listed for the 336A at Brownell's or Numrich's.Where are these guys getting $60-$75 barrels? I'd like to see a name, phone number and catalog number. A plain jane 30-30 barrel for the '94 costs $85.20, plus postage.

RCBS custom dies cost well over $100.

The other $150 conversions you mention (30-30 to 307, etc.) are simple rechambers, not rebarrel jobs. (For comparison, my gunsmith would do this for $75).

I think your estimate of the cost of this project is unrealistically low.

IDShooter

· Beartooth Regular
2,214 Posts
Enforcer,
Didn't mean to offend, I just think it would be unrealistic to expect someone right now, today, to build a 336 in 7mm STE that inexpensively. I see Numrich has a 20" barrel for the Model 94 AE in 7-30 for 66.90, that is probably what Dutch got. I did the search before for a 336 and couldn't find anything. So I suppose one could take a 94, add the 7-30 barrel then rechamber to 7mm STE relatively inexpensively. It would be a 20" barrel, though.

Like I said, I didn't mean to offend you, but it seems Sunday Creek is interested in buying/building one of these rifles now, and it would be best to look at realistic options. The 94 may be built relatively inexpensively, the 336, probably not. And probably neither (cheaply) with a 24" barrel.

I agree that I would not pay over $1000 for such a rifle. I wouldn't even pay $500, personally. I think 7mm in a levergun is a dying proposition and components are only going to get harder and harder to get. My $.02.

ID

· Beartooth Regular
2,214 Posts
For an example, I checked Montana Rifleman gunsmithing service, which has a reputation for being middle of the road, price wise. There cheapest chrome moly blank is $124, Rebarreling a Marlin lever action is $226, rebluing Marlin lever action is $226. Total $576. Plus the cost of the rifle - they go for $200-$300 in this area. Minimum $776 for the rifle, plus $100+ for dies. That's a realistic price for what the average Joe will pay to have this done.

· Beartooth Regular
2,214 Posts
This conversation has gotten ridiculous. My sister-in-law will cut my hair for two bucks; that doesn't mean two bucks is the going price for haircuts. I think you understand full well the concept I've been trying to put forth and you are simply being obtuse.
I'm sure Sunday Creek has all the info he needs by now, so I'm bowing out of this thread. Bye-Bye! ID

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.