Shooters Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
204 Posts
Well, as I said in the previous post; I wasn't trying to throw gasoline on the fire here. I should say in all honesty that I approached this project with economy in mind from the start. I found the factory Winchester 7-30 Waters barrels at Numerich's and knew that the price last year of $59.00 could not be beat. Once I ordered and recieved the barrel it did need some clean-up but the bore cleaned up as new and the few blemishes on the outside do require a re-bluing to make it as good as new.
That being said, I am now waiting for the right deal on the right Angle-Eject M-94 Winchester. If I am patient enough I know I will find one for $150.00 or so. I'm not going to run right out and buy a brand new one (even though my local K-Mart has them for $279.00) or spend the inflated price of $259.00 at my local gun shop for a used gun. I'll find one in the newspaper classifieds that will fit the bill nicely. All I have is time.

Besides, I'd rather spend my time/money tracking down Federal 7-30 Waters brass for handloads. Now that stuff is expensive! Might just end up ordering factory rounds from Cheaper Than Dirt and shooting them up for the brass.

· Registered
6 Posts
Dutch, why you chase that brass, just form some from 30/30 brass. It is easy enough to get and do. Ive been forming mine from once fired Rem cases and have had no problems. I form them with full power loads and get good accuracy out of them in my little win carbine.

· Banned
91 Posts
7x30 Waters

Dutch4122,please let use know how much the total package costs,when everything is said and done.So that everyone has an idea of the cost of this project.You already seem to be doing real well with the cost of new barrel and rifle to be bought totaling $216.00.You should beable to get out of there ready to shoot your 7x30 Waters for $500.00.Let use know though.Thanks Again Enforcer

· Registered
204 Posts
Enforcer-

I'll be glad to update when the project is completed. Just so everybody understands, it'll probably be a while. I have a couple of other "projects" ahead of this 7-30 Waters idea. First and foremost is a M-71 Winchester in .348 that a friend is holding for me. His late father promised it to me for $650.00 (almost like new condition) and I have had a hard time getting the money together. Can't let this deal slip away as beat up M-71's in my area are going for that price; not to mention I've always wanted one in the worst way.

Also have a Marlin 1895GS in layaway and that has to be dealt with after the M-71 is obtained. Seems like I always bite off more than I can chew, but the guns I really want always seem to turn up at the same time.

· The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
39,117 Posts
Dutch,

Good luck with your project. I'm all for the home-grown (cheap) solution. My $70 Swedish Mauser is the most cost-effective rifle I own, when I consider accuracy vs. price. Nothing else even comes close, most of my other rifles (with scopes) were literally close to 10x the money for a similar accuracy level.

But that was luck, honestly. The person who wants to buy a new 6.5x55 (or comparable) rifle can't count on finding the same bargain, and having it work as well.

Know what you mean about too many projects and too many things on the wish list. About 47 projects behind right now, myself... and the top one is getting a new lead screw for my lathe, that is holding up a lot of other things! Then on to sporterizing my '95 Turk, some revolver work, lapping a few barrels, etc.... it never ends.

· Banned
38 Posts
The cost of having rifles built has alot of different factors that come into play! I'm having another 400 Yukon built right now and with me suppling the rifle and barrel this project is going to set me back about $750.00 for the smith alone! The rifle was near new when I bought it and that was nearly $400.00, the barrel was $195.00, so whats that about $1345.00 for a custom Marlin,not cheap but one of a kind! The smith isn't cheap and I'm sure I could get it done cheaper elsewhere, but he is a true artist and it will be a 1st class job all the way so I'm willing to pay it. I figured the price of the rifle in because I had too buy it to do the job and the barrel is a good quality one as I believe it would be a mistake to build a custom rifle with an old cheapO barrel! If you don't care if the work is top notch I'm sure you can save money, but is this the smart thing to do! I'm not rich, just a working stiff, but I figure that if I'm gonna build a custom rifle, I will save my money a little longer and have it done right! As far as recouping your money, I've talked to alot of folks and everyone of them told me don't count on getting your money out of a custom rifle that is chambered for odd or wildcat cartridges as the market just isn't there for them, unless you find someone as goofy as yourself that likes these things! All my shooting buddies think I'm crazy for having all these wildcat and oddly chambered guns, but that is just me, I like being different!

I have become very good friends with the smith and have talked him into giving me lessons to doing barrel work as I really can't afford to do all the projects I want to do and as he is getting up there in years and his eye sight is starting to leave him. I have always wanted to be a gunsmith but never had the chance to do it, so hopefully I will learn something from him, then i want to set up a lathe and milling machine in my shop and do my own work. I won't do work for others as I don't want the hassel from the ATF but will do it as a hobby.

· Registered
3,129 Posts
A quote I recieved from Wild West Guns states $1000 on a stainless 336, you provide the rifle. I would guess the extra cost of a stainless barrel would not be any greater than the rebluing you would need with a blued rifle. This is for the 7mm STE chambering, which was the original bone of contention in the cost area. I don't claim this as proof that ALL 7mm STE conversions will cost $1000, this one would be $1000+rifle+dies. This is not from a friend of a friend, or a relative, or the brother in law price. This is what you could expect to pay to have a 7mmSTE built by a quality gunsmith who is reputed to do good work.

Enforcer,
you better go arrest them. I've got a copy of the e-mail I sent and the one I received back if you need to get some evidence for the warrant.:)

· Banned
91 Posts
7MM STE

I have started the project myself of converting a 336 to 7MM STE.Heres where I'm at:

Marlin M336SC in 35Rem $250.00
Conversion and gunsmith charges $225.00
Barrel $125.00
Bluing $175.00

I'm already at $775.00,without any of the hidden charges yet.Dies and sights would be extra,if I didn't already have them.But it still will be closer to the $1000.00 mark,than the $500.00 I got it done for 5yrs ago.

· Banned
91 Posts
Conversions

Just for the record,Bearbait2 had WWG do a conversion from Win M71 in 348win to 50 Alaskan a few years back.Price was $400.00 for everything.Now Buckeye says its a 8-10 month wait,and $1000.00 or more for conversion from Win M71 or Win M1886 to 50 Alaskan.See how the times change,and prices too..

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.