Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,829 Posts
Welcome to the Forum

Wawbeek,
I have a few 7X57mm rifles and like them. It is a fine cartridge that deserves to be more popular. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
486 Posts
Been looking for one in a Ruger #1 that I do not have to mortgage my first born for (not that he would be worth it ;)). Yes, I am a fan.
Dan

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Great cartridge and very shooter friendly

·
Registered
7,850 Posts
Excellent cartridge. I got a Ruger #1A in 7x57 about 20 yrs ago and it remains one of my favorite rifles. Topped it with a Leupold M8 4X scope and it's a match made in heaven. For now the round of choice is a Sellier & Bellot 173gr SPCE. Really nice rifle.

·
Banned
129 Posts
Love the 7x57. Had one in a beautiful #1 med sporter.Worst shooting rifle I've ever owned and I put a LOT of time and effort to get it to shoot well but failed. That said, in a good rifle it's an excellent round. IMO see ya, Bill

·
Registered
56 Posts
Excellent cartridge. I've had two 7X57s. The first one in a sporterized 98 action I traded from my brother. It shot fairly well but I was so impressed with the cartridge that when my wife,bless her, bought me my choice of rifles in Ruger 77 almost thirty years ago I got my second. The Ruger had so much more accuracy potential so I traded the 98 to my brother-in-law. He claimed he was not adequately armed and sold the gun before I knew about it. Too bad.

The Ruger has become my favorite rifle. It has taken many elk, both whitetail and mule deer, antelope and one bighorn sheep. I've never felt undergunned although with elk shot placement is critical.

Thirty years ago handloads were the only way to get even adequate bullet selection and potential out of the cartridge. I'm told that today the options off the shelf are much better. But I enjoy the handloading process and the skill it reinforces on me so I see no fun in buying shelf goods.

Enjoy the Mauser!!

Scruf

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
My first 7x57 was a sporterized M93 that I got for $40. My brother in law has it now. Second one was a FN49 (SAFN, predecessor to the FAL) built for Venezuela and less then 3500 were made in that chambering and I sold it, Dumb and dumber. Still have dies, brass and a bunch of loaded ammo for it, so I'm always looking for another 7mm Mauser.

CD

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I owned & used a Post '64 Winchester M-70 "Featherweight" in 7 X 57 m/m for several years and made my longest kill on a Deer some 400 yards! It is a fine cartridge, accurate, mild recoil, and easy to reload.

·
Banned
604 Posts
I built a fine 7x57 when I was in the Navy, about 1969. Bought a new Mark X action from a gunshop in Norfolk, sent it off to Bob Snapp here in Clare, MI and he barreled it in 7X57 for me. Got a real pretty piece of Black Walnut from Fajen and bedded it myself. Mounted a Redfield 1-4X. It accounted for a goodly number of Michigan Whitetails before I sold it to a friend that really needed a rifle. I miss the rifle but I'm glad I sold it to him. He loves it.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I don't have one, but would snatch one up in a New York minute if I ran across one at a good price. A great cartridge.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
7x57

I bought a Ruger Mk l on the internet last year. The rifle's in great shape but I couldn't get the darn thing to shoot pointed bullets accurately. I handload and I tried multiple powder charges and bullet weights.
So, I sent the thing back to Ruger with my complaints. They replaced the springs in the bolt, replaced the action mounting screws and polished the throat. Test fired it and got minute of angle groups.
They sent it back to me with no charge. It shoots great now.
It's nice to know of a manufacturer that stands behind their product.
Jim

·
Banned
397 Posts
My first rifle was a 7MM Spanish Mauser made in Germany. It was sporterized.
It would put 3 shots inside about a half inch at a 100yds over the bench.
We couldn't use a rifle for big game in my state so I put a 10X Weaver
scope on it and shot Woodchucks and Crows, lots of them. I sold the rifle
and got other rifles. Wish I still had it. I bought my Grandson a 7MM/08. It
seems like that is pretty close to a 7X57.

Zeke

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
I looked long and hard but finally found a Ruger M77 mk II that I love. Great rifle in a great caliber.Now I want a Number 1 RSI in 7 x 57.

Reactions: Jack

·
Registered
368 Posts
I owned a Ruger #1 International in 7x57 with a 3x9 Luepold. Great little rifle especially for Minnesota/Wisconsin tree stand situations. Loved the cartridge...easy shooting, low muzzle noise and absolutely fatal on mid-western whitetails at <150 yards average range. Only shot factory loads at the time with standard 140grain bullets from Winchester, Federal...they all seemed to work and shoot to 1 1/2 +/- at 100 yards. My only negative is that with that short (20 inch?) barrel I found the weapon to be very "whippy" (front end light) and tough to settle down. Sold the piece on GunBroker a couple of years ago and the new owner got back to me and raved about the gun...I might have made a mistake.

·
Premium Member
2,775 Posts
Love the 7x57. Had one in a beautiful #1 med sporter.Worst shooting rifle I've ever owned and I put a LOT of time and effort to get it to shoot well but failed. That said, in a good rifle it's an excellent round. IMO see ya, Bill
That was my same experience with the Ruger #1 many years ago in 7x57. I've always loved that caliber but just could not get that rifle to shoot.
Also had it in a model 77 and it shot very good. Go figure!
If I was to buy another rifle, I'd find an older 700 or model 70 and re- barrel to that caliber. I like the oldies-

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
As I've stated before I've got an 1930ish Czech BRNO military Mauser 98 large ring action that I plan on building a 9.3x62 but if I can't find a good barrel then I'll but a 7x57 on her.

CD

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had several 7x57's , a ruger 77 standard, ruger no. 1, and several mausers the ruger no. 1 was amazingly accurate with 160 gr sierra game king and 175 nosler partition bullets

·
Registered
173 Posts
Old thread but it seems that this caliber is making a resurgence!

I've had the pleasure of dealing with many on this forum regarding 7x57 Mauser.
I've been doing some reading on which bullets to reload. It seems that opinions are all over the map with people and some reputable looking sites recommending match type bullets I think it was the A-max wasn't it Tn?😉
So how does one pick an excellent bullet for hunting for a rifle, in this case a M98, without buying multiple boxes? How do I narrow down what grain size I should be using?

I have a friend who reloads, and does have 7mm bullets in multiple brands. He is willing to share with me.
Do I get 3 of each? I will be reloading these with a different friend, and he does have a reloading manual.

Of the selection that I get, how do I determine which will produce the cleanest shot, with the least damaged meat. After all I'm hunting for my freezer not for antlers.
I hope these questions aren't too dumb to be asking, but I'd rather ask then spend money unnecessarily.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts