Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
A few months ago I impulse bought a &#3649.99 Turkish mauser in 8mm.  The receiver and bolt are in great shape as well as the chamber.  The head space is correct.  The bore is rated as "good", with most of the wear at the muzzle.

I decided to have the barrel cut and crowned at 23" (it was 29").  I removed the soldered on rear sight.  The rifle smith is drilling and tapping for a Williams receiver sight and front ramp.  A Ramline stock is on the way as well as a extra tall .065" blade front sight to be adjusted for optimun height.

Now I need something to shoot in it.  What starting and max loads does anyone have for the 170 gr. cast BTB?  What velocity level should I expect the best accuracy?
Any and all insight is appreciated.
Jeff

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Hello JRR,

Sounds like an interesting project gun you got there. Although I have no personal experience with the 8mm Mauser round, I would say as to cast bullets, slug your bore to determine the groove diameter. I believe these guns came in 2 seperate bore diameters around .318(J) and .323(JS) so check it out to be sure. Check your throat diameter also.

An interesting side note is that these guns used to be rechambered to use a standard 30 '06 case necked up to 8mm thus called the 8mm '06. This was to take advantage of the much more common 30 '06 brass at the time.

As far as loads for cast, you could start with jacketed bullet loads in the manuals as a starting point with the medium burning powders.

I'll defer to somebody else for more specifics on this cartridge for now.

Regards,

:cool:

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Before we get into max and min loads, what is the bore's actual condition.  Bright and pristine, dark, pitted?  Most of these military veterans greatly benefit from a few lapping loads being fired down them, then a good old-fashioned polishing with some JB when you're all done, then you're set for a lifetime of cast bullet shooting.

What's bore condition and diameter?   Then we'll get with the program on what to feed it!

God bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses guys.

The groove is .323".  After firing a test factory round, the extracted case was normal.  No scratches, no sign of corrosion, easy extraction, etc. .  The bore is shiny but  dark, not black.  I cannot see any pits sighting down the bore in a good light.  The lands are consistant but not crisp and sharp.  I have no idea what a new barrel like this actually looks like.

Do you think 23" is a good length for the 8mm?  There will be no scope on this rifle so I want to keep the sights pretty far apart for good aiming accuracy.

The receiver is a mod. 98.  The interesting thing is that it has the large receiver ring of the 98 with small ring threads on the barrel.  The date on the receiver is 1941.

My &#3649.99 deal is adding up to about &#36300. after everything is done.  The price of having fun.
Jeff    

·
Banned
104 Posts
Hello JRR.

try  http://www.accuratepowder.com/

they have listed safe loads for the 8mm mauser for both cast and jacketed bullets.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Look at my long post over at "handloading practices/ proceedures" under "inexpensive surplus powder"
I go into long detail of 8mm load development.

·
Banned
14 Posts
Ive been useing 13 grs of reddot  and 18 grs of 2400 in my 8mm Mausers,seems to work real well!Mr Stanton is correct! A few lapping rounds will do wonders in those milsurp rifles!

(Edited by ssgt at 5:50 am on April 23, 2001)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello everyone,
I shot the old Mauser at the range this last weekend.  I used some surplus Turkish ammo which has a 150 gr. bullet at full power.  I set the front sight height 1/8" higher than the original and the point of impact at 25 yards was to point of aim with the Williams peep set at the bottom.  The first 10 shots went into 1" at 25 yards.  I was amazed because of the rather unsteady bench and my unfamiliarity with both the rifle and the 8 mm round.

I kept the original wood stock which I cut down, removed the top pieces and clamps and then glass bedded.  The barrel is now 23" instead of the original 29".  The length of pull on the military stock is 12.8" so a slip-on butt pad to lengthen and pad the butt is the next addition.

The next trip to the range will be at the 100 yard mark with a solid padded rest.  We will see what the rifle can really so with my 50 year old eyes and no telescope.
Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts