Shooters Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
.....Real dilemma is how to finish coat the gun. Have plastic and metal, and 2 kinds of metal both finished and raw. So not sure what to do. Thinking of a spray paint for this one, but sure would like some help deciding.....
BROWNELLS ALUMA-HYDE® II
Clean thoroughly, spray a couple of light coats. Don't over do it more is not better. Epoxy holds up pretty well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XCZUBAY/ref=asc_df_B00XCZUBAY5454562/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B00XCZUBAY&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198071838477&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=944281984172039228&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9023190&hvtargid=pla-378850259901#customerReviews

Brownells list the product cheaper but it incurs hazmat shipping charges. May or maynot be cheaper through them.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
The location of the holes for the trigger group need to be done properly, and precisely.

Few with a hand drill can get them perfectly straight. Even with a jig.
I have a cheap drill press and an xy vice I bought at Harbor Freight for that. Both work just fine for the little I use them for and didn't break the bank.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Finally got the 6.8 to the range and had problems. Fired 2 boxes of factory Hornaday 120 gr ammo. First box only only 2 cases fully ejected and bolt never locked on empty mag. No amount of adjusting gas block seemed to change anything. Second box with gas block wide open did a little better with about half cases ejecting but once again never locking on empty mag. Gas tube was open/clear but chamber did not seem as dirty as I would expect. On a positive note accuracy at 100 yds was great.
Parts used
Wilson combat adjustable gas block
Magpul rifle stock
DPMS ar 15 butt stock mounting kit
Geissle (sp) lower parts kit
ALG combat trigger
Bolt carrier was left over from upgrade of 556 ar build, unknown make
Bolt 6.8spc specific, but cannot find order and thus make, it was seemingly of good quality

Any advice as to where to start would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Is the gas block aligned correctly? If not you can try drilling the gas port since you have an adjustable gas block.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
gas block is aligned accurately and wide open. I may have stumbled on the problem. The bolt carrier was left over from an upgrade of a 556, and had some mild corrosion and resistance on the bolt gas rings when bolt inserted. I polished it and the resistance seemed to be gone. Next time I go to the range I will bring both guns and all spare parts and start shooting and swapping until both work well

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So after much trial and error, numerous swapping of parts, and purchasing of parts nothing seemed to change. Never reliably ejected and never locked open on empty mag. Sent the uppers back to Wilson combat ( by this time I had enough for 2 uppers!). Their gunsmith determined it was the gas port size in the barrel and drilled them out to .091 from .08. Their function test were flawless. I will see when i get them back and go to the range.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Their gunsmith determined it was the gas port size in the barrel and drilled them out to .091 from .08.
I'll keep that in mind ;)

GENERALLY assembling an AR from parts is pretty much problem free. The 80% lowers can have "some broken glass in the learning curve", but with attention to details and a decent jig, router, and drill press they usually work just fine.

Hope your next project is smoother.

·
Registered
452 Posts
dogdoc,

how did the build finally turn out? did the gas port fix the issue?

D

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Finally got out to the range to test fire the builds. Brought both uppers that had been drilled out. One had the wilson combat adjustable block and one had a generic fixed gas block. Brought the 80% lower I built and a factory lower from a 556 build done awhile ago. The upper with the wilson combat adjustable worked perfect on both lowers. The upper with the fixed block would only eject the case but never locked back on and empty mag or picked up a second round from the mag on both lowers. I cannot figure out if it over gassed or under gassed. I am not sure at what position the adjustable block is currently as it was done at wilson combat and i am not messing with it since it works. Guess i have to order a second adjustable and hope i can replicate what they did.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Where were your cases ejecting? That will tell you if you are over or under gassed. 12:00-3:00=over gassed 4:30-6:00=under gassed. If your under gassed an adjustable gas block is useless until you drill your port out.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
I cannot figure out if it over gassed or under gassed.
I've worked up loads in a few diferent AR's and at the low end, it's not uncommon to have a load fail to cycle completely. Not enough gas. That has never happened to me with factory loads, (which I use as a control on a new build), and guessing you are not actually using handloads, the most likely culprit is a gas port too small, or possibly a misalignment of the gas block over the port. Might even be the gas block itself.
I'd try a different gas block before you take on the effort of re-drilling/sizing the port. Getting two of those that were bad would be very unlikely. Most are fairly inexpensive.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
After 18 months I think I finally have the 6.8 done. Drilling the barrel gas port and a Wilson combat adjustaable block seemed to do the trick. Ran 60 rounds without a hitch. Went with duracoat paint job.
Only difference is when it was a single shot I routinely got 1 inch groups at 100, now best i can do is 1.5-2 in. Oh well

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Resurrecting this thread, since all my local gun stores are either closed or sold out, I want to try my first 80% lower. Went with a forged unit that's already anodized and is "mil-spec" https://www.80-lower.com/products/80-lower-fire-safe-marked-1-pack/ though I've heard competing stories about what jig to use and I'm about to pull the trigger on one. The router or mini-mill method seems to be the best bet for getting tight tolerances and clean cuts. Has anyone used a jig with a drill press?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Unless you have a very good drill press I would not advise its use. Mills (and routers) are made to take side forces while drills are made to take only vertical force and most are not very accurate at staying completely vertical. (try drilling round stock)
In my opinion the "5D Tactical Router Jig Pro" is the best jig on the market. You may need to buy a new router because the cutting tool screws onto the router shaft rather than mounting in the collet. The base adapter also houses a bearing that keeps flex out of the shaft. You only drill one hole and everything else is guided by the jig and no rotating parts ever touch the jig itself. That means less wear on the jig and you can use it for many projects. They have a list of routers that are supported and the appropriate tool for each. The jig has hardened steel guides for drilling the trigger and other holes through the sides.
The pro jig can be adapted to fit all AR platforms so you only buy one to handle the AR15, AR10, And the AR9 etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Unless you have a very good drill press I would not advise its use. Mills (and routers) are made to take side forces while drills are made to take only vertical force and most are not very accurate at staying completely vertical. (try drilling round stock)
In my opinion the "5D Tactical Router Jig Pro" is the best jig on the market. You may need to buy a new router because the cutting tool screws onto the router shaft rather than mounting in the collet. The base adapter also houses a bearing that keeps flex out of the shaft. You only drill one hole and everything else is guided by the jig and no rotating parts ever touch the jig itself. That means less wear on the jig and you can use it for many projects. They have a list of routers that are supported and the appropriate tool for each. The jig has hardened steel guides for drilling the trigger and other holes through the sides.
The pro jig can be adapted to fit all AR platforms so you only buy one to handle the AR15, AR10, And the AR9 etc.
I just snagged a deal on a Sieg X2D mini mill, gonna use it for receivers and I'm also doing an F1 can, got my stamp the other day. Surprised at how quick the ATF works lol. It took about 2 weeks.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts